UFC 245 Usman vs Covington

Wow thanks for that captain hindsight.
Sorry dude, I can dm you next time if you like.
I just mean that there are some people here who post very strong opinions. While that's great very often their thinking is one sided and they don't look at both sides of the coin. Becomes like a forrest fire from there with them just doubling down, throwing more adjectives out and getting other people excited to back a side.

I had a very difficult work week which didn't allow me to record a podcast or post thoughts most places. Wish my boss didn't have his baby this week, I would have been able to save some people from the Teymur circle jerk. No clue how people got that excited about betting him. Pay more attention on who you are tailing.

tenor.gif

Sorry dude, I can dm you next time if you like.
I just mean that there are some people here who post very strong opinions. While that's great very often their thinking is one sided and they don't look at both sides of the coin. Becomes like a forrest fire from there with them just doubling down, throwing more adjectives out and getting other people excited to back a side.
Lol the wizard captain hindsight, who thinks he has magical predictive powers. I will dm you next time for some locks.

I had a very difficult work week which didn't allow me to record a podcast or post thoughts most places. Wish my boss didn't have his baby this week, I would have been able to save some people from the Teymur circle jerk. No clue how people got that excited about betting him. Pay more attention on who you are tailing.
Wish I encountered you earlier so I could tell you your 5u circle jerk play on Colby was terrible. C'mon man.

I have read through this whole thread and the biggest debate seemed to be -

Volkanovski isn't good and only looked good because Aldo had a bad night. I think that has now been shown to be a bad read by the people with that thought process. Volkanovski seems to be a guy a lot of very good cappers have struggled to find a read on or understand his game.

And the other was - Aldo looks terrible, the weight cut is a huge mistake, he's near death, has no chance ect- With very few others (And Conor McGregor) saying Aldo looked good, just drained in the face and should rehydrate well. Even with Aldo losing he was still clearly the value side, fighting to a close split decision.

I have read through this whole thread and the biggest debate seemed to be -

Volkanovski isn't good and only looked good because Aldo had a bad night. I think that has now been shown to be a bad read by the people with that thought process. Volkanovski seems to be a guy a lot of very good cappers have struggled to find a read on or understand his game.

And the other was - Aldo looks terrible, the weight cut is a huge mistake, he's near death, has no chance ect- With very few others (And Conor McGregor) saying Aldo looked good, just drained in the face and should rehydrate well. Even with Aldo losing he was still clearly the value side, fighting to a close split decision.

It kinda depends how highly you rate Moraes, who doesnt seem to like educated pressure at all. Getting bullied and stopped by a blown up 125 pounder was eye opening. The media were completely split on the scoring of the Aldo fight and I thought I was very lucky cashing my Moraes bet. Moraes had Dodson and Assuncao in his first UFC fights and they were standoff kind of fights from distance. Then the head kick knockouts which were low percentage. His gas tank doesn't look great against educated pressure because he resorts to swinging huge counters and gassing himself. He fell apart when Cejudo clipped his chin and applied some pressure and looked like he was getting bullied by Aldo in there at times. I'd love to see a fight made between him and Yan next. Yan seems to me like the absolute worst style Moraes could face but Moraes might be favoured by the books.

Anyone who took Aldana, Volkanovski, Aldo or Brandon Moreno had good reads I think.

Congratulations to anyone picking Eye, Vivi backers over looked her, myself included, great dog pick.

Bad take of the week - Mike Perry is live and can win a decision.

Rollercoaster of a night for me. I hit the first three bets with Moreno being a really nice hit. Followed that with Teymur's disaster. Started feeling good again with Eye hitting. Max losing was a downward swing. Small profit if Colby wins, small loss if he loses. I thought he had a pretty good chance at the decision up until the finish. I had him winning the beginning of the fifth. I haven't been on much - were scorecards released?

Volk was the bet of the card. He got no respect but now the cats out of the bag.

Volk was the bet of the card. He got no respect but now the cats out of the bag.

I don't know if the cats out of the bag, he's not exactly an amazing fighter that just came out of nowhere. He has serviceable striking and okay grappling. If you actually watched tape there's no way people would have predicted Volk winning a kickboxing fight and outpointing Holloway.

Holloway was a bit questionable for the first 3 rounds, didn't know what to do in either inside or outside range. I feel an actual decent plan and he could have beat Volk.

I don't know if the cats out of the bag, he's not exactly an amazing fighter that just came out of nowhere. He has serviceable striking and okay grappling. If you actually watched tape there's no way people would have predicted Volk winning a kickboxing fight and outpointing Holloway.

Holloway was a bit questionable for the first 3 rounds, didn't know what to do in either inside or outside range. I feel an actual decent plan and he could have beat Volk.

That's exactly what I and probably a few others here predicted. I didnt think Volk was gonna get the takedowns, it was moreso the threat and clinch positions he would get. But sheer power and gas tank with leg kicks and power-combo shots kept Holloway out of the game.

Second part I agree with. Max has the championship mindset. However, does he have the ego needed to allow himself to change what brought him so much success? What is he realistically going to change in the rematch, which may happen in the next 6 months.

Volk wins the standup because it's not in Max's nature to change his game now at 28, after years and years of being a volume aggression striker. Sure hes got range, but he always put himself in vulnerable positions. Is he going to attack the body more perhaps? Good luck after the first couple you'll probably get countered with an uppercut.

Why are some people still so set on discrediting Volkanovski?

He knocked out the biggest power wrestler in the division, then he beat the Feather weight legend and king of Rio IN Brazil, and made it look easy.. And now he beats the feather weight GOAT, who was undefeated at feather weight in many years (Not only beats him but takes all 5 rounds and beats him at his own game) and his grappling and striking is 'serviceable'?

If you really see Volkanovski's skill set that way you honestly don't understand what you're watching. Volkanovski put on a master class, fought a perfect gameplan against a guy he was at a total physical disadvantage against and made it look easy.

And yes, for me, this was the fight I expected to see. I thought Holloway would have more for Volkanovski in the striking department and Volk would need to use some of his other tools, but as it turned out he didn't even need to dig all that deeply into his bag of tricks.

That's exactly what I and probably a few others here predicted. I didnt think Volk was gonna get the takedowns, it was moreso the threat and clinch positions he would get. But sheer power and gas tank with leg kicks and power-combo shots kept Holloway out of the game.

Second part I agree with. Max has the championship mindset. However, does he have the ego needed to allow himself to change what brought him so much success? What is he realistically going to change in the rematch, which may happen in the next 6 months.

Volk wins the standup because it's not in Max's nature to change his game now at 28, after years and years of being a volume aggression striker. Sure hes got range, but he always put himself in vulnerable positions. Is he going to attack the body more perhaps? Good luck after the first couple you'll probably get countered with an uppercut.

Really? What part of tape indicated Volk would win in the stand up? None of it did, its the same as Andrade/Zhang.

I didn't even see many betting Volkanovski aside from apples and he wiki caps. In regards to Max not changing his game, exactly he is only 28. Remember max fought and lost against Conor a few years ago.
Why are some people still so set on discrediting Volkanovski?

He knocked out the biggest power wrestler in the division, then he beat the Feather weight legend and king of Rio IN Brazil, and made it look easy.. And now he beats the feather weight GOAT, who was undefeated at feather weight in many years (Not only beats him but takes all 5 rounds and beats him at his own game) and his grappling and striking is 'serviceable'?

If you really see Volkanovski's skill set that way you honestly don't understand what you're watching. Volkanovski put on a master class, fought a perfect gameplan against a guy he was at a total physical disadvantage against and made it look easy.

And yes, for me, this was the fight I expected to see. I thought Holloway would have more for Volkanovski in the striking department and Volk would need to use some of his other tools, but as it turned out he didn't even need to dig all that deeply into his bag of tricks.

If you watched the fight, his striking shows he didn't do anything spectacular. He used heavy leg kicks when Max was slightly outside range and when max came in he was winging wild hooks.

Knocking out Chad Mendes isn't exactly the hardest thing to do, he has cardio for 7 minutes and he even got dropped himself by Mendes.

I get he's good, but everybody coming out "I told you so", man give that shit a rest. I didn't see many people here betting him. Maybe 2 or 3 and certainly seemed like just value plays which is fair enough, solid bets.

One thing is a fact, Aldo and Max underperformed ridiculously against him. Maybe I'll put that down to Volkanovski solid ability to stick to a gameplan. But if you think he's actually an amazing fighter then I don't know what fight you were watching.

More than anything it shows how crucial it is to bet smart guys. Volk might be meat and potatoes but at least he fights to his strengths and fights smart as opposed to that idiot Teymur.

Stipe is similar, people discredited him when he was on the way up but you knew he'd fight for your money and at least try to do the right thing, at the right time. This isn't valued enough sometimes

More than anything it shows how crucial it is to bet smart guys. Volk might be meat and potatoes but at least he fights to his strengths and fights smart as opposed to that idiot Teymur.

Stipe is similar, people discredited him when he was on the way up but you knew he'd fight for your money and at least try to do the right thing, at the right time. This isn't valued enough sometimes

I agree, although I'm unsure of who I would bet in the rematch.

Really? What part of tape indicated Volk would win in the stand up? None of it did, its the same as Andrade/Zhang.

If you watched the fight, his striking shows he didn't do anything spectacular.

I get he's good, but everybody coming out "I told you so", man give that shit a rest. I didn't see many people here betting him.

One thing is a fact, Aldo and Max underperformed ridiculously against him. Maybe I'll put that down to Volkanovski solid ability to stick to a gameplan. But if you think he's actually an amazing fighter then I don't know what fight you were watching.

You're really discounting Volks skillset and makeup as fighter. So against Volk Aldo underperforms but against Moicano or Marlon he performs. Holloway underperforms against Volk but performs against Edgar or Ortega.

So because you're missing things means it doesnt exist then? Volks standup might not be spectacular but its efficient, effective and works. It's the simple things that work. It's the fight IQ that matters. I said prefight Volk has the better fight IQ and we saw that.

That's what makes Volk the better fighter than Holloway and most of the division. He works to his strengths better than any other fighter I can think of in that division.

Think about what he made Aldo do. Come on brother. It's not that easy. I know it may LOOK easy to make a fighter second guess themselves and stay out of flow. Volks feints really mess a fighters' timing up.

You're really discounting Volks skillset and makeup as fighter. So against Volk Aldo underperforms but against Moicano or Marlon he performs. Holloway underperforms against Volk but performs against Edgar or Ortega.

So because you're missing things means it doesnt exist then? Volks standup might not be spectacular but its efficient, effective and works. It's the simple things that work. It's the fight IQ that matters. I said prefight Volk has the better fight IQ and we saw that.

That's what makes Volk the better fighter than Holloway and most of the division. He works to his strengths better than any other fighter I can think of in that division.

Think about what he made Aldo do. Come on brother. It's not that easy. I know it may LOOK easy to make a fighter second guess themselves and stay out of flow. Volks feints really mess a fighters' timing up.

I'll agree the feints and threat of heavy hands did make Holloway question himself in pretty much every round bar the last when he started to throw down. That was more desperate than anything.

Fight IQ certainly does go a long way in a fighters career. Look at Tim Means. He's easily an elite fighter but his fight iq fucks him so bad at times. I still think he's a less skilled version Mendes but with a better gas tank and better fight iq. Agree to disagree on him being a great fighter.

I didn't even see many betting Volkanovski aside from apples and he wiki caps. In regards to Max not changing his game, exactly he is only 28. Remember max fought and lost against Conor a few years ago.

If you watched the fight, his striking shows he didn't do anything spectacular. He used heavy leg kicks when Max was slightly outside range and when max came in he was winging wild hooks.

Knocking out Chad Mendes isn't exactly the hardest thing to do, he has cardio for 7 minutes and he even got dropped himself by Mendes.

I get he's good, but everybody coming out "I told you so", man give that shit a rest. I didn't see many people here betting him. Maybe 2 or 3 and certainly seemed like just value plays which is fair enough, solid bets.

I read through the whole thread and you're right not many people picked Volkanovski. I did in the offical picks thread and probably 2 other people. I picked him because I had seen the way he had fought each of his previous opponents. There's a lot of subtlety to his game and to his striking, death by a million feints. He finds his opponents timing and throws it off, making then miss step over and over. It may not look amazing but Aldo and Holloway are the two best feather weights of all time and two of the best strikers in MMA. You down beat both of those guys soundly over the course of the whole fight by being nothing special. The level or focus and concentration it must take for Volkanovski to play that chess match game for a full five rounds is very impressive.

Volkanovski is always the smaller man, so I never thought the length or height advantages would play much of a part. It's something he's had to deal with through out his whole career.

After seeing Max fight Dustin I felt like the code had been cracked, Dustin didn't do anything 'special'. He hit hard and he basically kept Max off beat, Max without getting into a rhythm is almost a sitting duck. He's not well rounded, he's a boxer. He doesn't wrestle or look for the clinch he rarely kicks which means his opponents have much less to worry about.

If you can match the cardio, which I knew Volkanovski could then all you need to do is not allow Max to settle in, break his rhythm over and over and shut him down. He has to drown you in pressure and volume to win, if you can disrupt that or match it then what does he have to fall back on?

Volkanovski fought the perfect gameplan against Aldo, people say Aldo looked like shit in their fight but I didn't see it that way. I saw it as Volkanovski working him out and sticking to a gameplan. He did just the same to Max. Took away his weapons and in a way used them against him.

Back