UFC 249 Gaethje vs Ferguson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Main event or not I doubt they have much profit with no crowd. If it goes through at all I assume they're taking a lose leader approach.

You think so? I don't think its a lost leader at all. You have to think many of the people that would have been in the audience are now buying PPV. UFC is probably viable just running on PPVS, it is an insanely profitable business.

hot take: I am more interested as a fan to see Justin fight Tony than watching Tony v. Khabib.

IMO the Tony v. Khabib fight isn't going to be that interesting. I think Khabib grinds him out over 5 rounds with top position in almost all rounds. Khabibs style actually shuts down alot of action.

Justin v. Tony will be a banger of a fight and either guy can win.

You think so? I don't think its a lost leader at all. You have to think many of the people that would have been in the audience are now buying PPV. UFC is probably viable just running on PPVS, it is an insanely profitable business.
My thinking is those PPV sales won't amount too as much as those $200-$300 individual seats (or however much they charge for the full experience).
Just speculation but I think there would be profit lose from all the people watching without buying the PPV. Not that I know anyone who would commit such a heinous act 0.o ...................................

Agree with ya on Tony vs Justin that would be a good one. I'd probably have Justin there, even if he did win though I doubt Ali is in a hurry to have him fight Khabib.
Sneaky or not Ali is a crafty manager and doesn't seem to be in a hurry to have his talent lose or beat each other up.

Last edited:
Tony vs Gaethje odds- speculative fight:

20219.png

Yeah if the fight happened I'd have to take Gaethje at dog odds. Tony is pretty hittable and I don't see him pressure boxing Justin without eating some heavy hooks in the trades. Justin throws bricks, has a hell of a chin and puts on a solid pace himself.

For anyone interested Bovada has odds up for Tonys potential opponents.
Gaethje is -110.

My thoughts Hernandez, Worthy, Makhachev, Azaitar wouldn't be worth it for Tony. That and the lockdown should prevent at least Makhachev from being an option too. Cerrone already got his ass beat by Tony. He looked for a way out then don't see why he would sign up to do it again. No way Mcgregor takes the risk on short notice in my opinion and I assume he is locked down too.
Seems like the only person who might be crazy enough would be Gaethje.

I've got 6u for 5.25u on Gaethje as the other fighter

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-03-30-20-28-32.png
    Screenshot_2020-03-30-20-28-32.png
    259.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Gaethje as potential opponent went from -110 to -175 in a hurry. Cerrone is the only person I could see messing it up and I doubt it. Seems likely to be no action but who knows.

But how many people, not die hard fans but average UFC fans, are going to spend $70 to watch a PPV by themselves? In many states and countries "social distancing" is encouraged or enforced which has people scared to have parties due to fear of catching covid-19, and parties of more than 10 are illegal in some areas. Bars and pubs which buy the PPV (for thousands of dollars I believe) are closed. I just got laid off as did my boss who typically has the PPV at his house so we won't be watching it unless we can get enough friends to come over and split the cost among many. Honestly I doubt his wife would allow it right now anyway. I will watch the replay later on Fight Pass which I still have and should continue to unless I'm out of work for a very long time, in which none of the PPV matter to me since I will have more important things to spend my money on.

The situation is getting from bad to worse as we speak. I don't believe we will see any fights until the pandemic gets under total control.

For this potential fight between Tony and Justin: I think Gaethje could absolutely knock him out early. But if this doesn't happen, I see Tony winning. Tony is dealing reasonably well with people comming into him in a straight line and Justin fights more or less like this. He is a more reckless version of RDA. If you move more side to side and get him at angles and attack him in blind spots, Tony is getting hit all the time, tho.

In simpler words - traditional striking styles doesn't work well on Ferg. You gotta be as creative and unorthodox as him, and have the stamina to maintain it deep in the fight.

They expect peak deaths in mid april. Perfect time for this event LOL!

If Gaethje wouldn't take earlier fights on early notice, why on earth would he take Ferguson on a couple weeks notice?

They expect peak deaths in mid april. Perfect time for this event LOL!
Right we tried to sacrifice half the world and still couldn't save the ME, the mma gods are fickle. Hey can ya blame people for hoping for some normalcy?
Working out at home, social distancing, isolation honestly I've been doing this shit for years. Seems like we either speculate on some fights that may or may not happen or we all go back to panic building our 2 ply toilet paper forts.

I'm with ya on this thing being canceled but I still hope Dana throws a fat stack of cash at Tony and Gaethje. At least so I watch something go down other than my retirement account.

And why would Ferguson take it? I will jerk off all over myself if that fight gets made don't get me wrong but neither of these guys should take this fight on short notice.

And why would Ferguson take it? I will jerk off all over myself if that fight gets made don't get me wrong but neither of these guys should take this fight on short notice.
Same reason. I doubt he takes it and expect my bet on Gaethje as the opponent to get canceled.
Still not sure on Tony's financial situation but won't not fighting leave him paying for his camp out of pocket with no fight purse?
Depends on how much he needs a check in my opinion. Not fighting kinda leaves him in limbo until the ufc sets up another fight with Khabib. That and ramadan coming up that probably pushes the fight even further off.
Personally I'd be fine if they threw together a random fight night card. Hoping something gets done but Tony seems to have drawn the short straw whether he fights or not.

Khabib can apparently leave Russia via private jet
Obviously they should just cancel the event but they're desperate to make payments on their loans, which are massive...

Ferguson v Gaethje, in International waters for the interim title. What a clusterfuck but we will all watch!!

I haven't played for a long time and i was looking for the ufc odds just now. Let's say bettors aren't dumb, no value on khabib now. Aldo is tempting me a lil bit. Old and everything, he's simply a tough style matchup for cejudo. He had a tough time with moraes and this one will be more of the same. He looks pretty hungry and confident too, so that's a plus.

you think so? Aldo looked ok vs moares but that was a 3 rounder. Cejudo is better than him in every aspect. His only chance is finishing cejudo which he wont do and that cardio gets worse with every round.

I'm not expecting this card to happen at this point and as much as I would like live entertainment I don't know if throwing together a clusterfuck of last minute matchups is such a great idea. I'll watch if it happens but I'm not going to be terribly disappointed if it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back