UFC 249 Gaethje vs Ferguson

Status
Not open for further replies.
not much news going on atm from Dana or anyone. Really curious on whats going down.

you think so? Aldo looked ok vs moares but that was a 3 rounder. Cejudo is better than him in every aspect. His only chance is finishing cejudo which he wont do and that cardio gets worse with every round.
Cejudo is better than who in every aspect? Both aldo and moraes are better strikers than him. Aldo, just like moraes, has top tier tdd, which is veeery important. Yes his cardio isn't great, but it wouldn't surprise me to see aldo finish cejudo honestly. He's got fast twitch kicks and punches and we already saw how cejudo had a very rough time the first couple rounds against marlon. He wanted to trade with him but he quickly realized they weren't on the same level speedwise. Sure, cejudo managed to rock moraes and tko him later but he had to endure hard punishment to get to that point (it was a great performance don't get me wrong, the guy is a stud and a great champ but he could've been finished on any given night as well. He had some luck on his side). If Aldo keeps his composure, he wins half the battle imho. Let the smaller cejudo come to him with his linear, slower attacks and hit him with powerful counters. I like both guys very much so i'm really not biased.

Cejudo is better than who in every aspect? Both aldo and moraes are better strikers than him. Aldo, just like moraes, has top tier tdd, which is veeery important. Yes his cardio isn't great, but it wouldn't surprise me to see aldo finish cejudo honestly. He's got fast twitch kicks and punches and we already saw how cejudo had a very rough time the first couple rounds against marlon. He wanted to trade with him but he quickly realized they weren't on the same level speedwise. Sure, cejudo managed to rock moraes and tko him later but he had to endure hard punishment to get to that point (it was a great performance don't get me wrong, the guy is a stud and a great champ but he could've been finished on any given night as well. He had some luck on his side). If Aldo keeps his composure, he wins half the battle imho. Let the smaller cejudo come to him with his linear, slower attacks and hit him with powerful counters. I like both guys very much so i'm really not biased.

fair points I’ve always loved aldo I just feel like cejudo has improved his standup so much and I don’t see aldo hurting him. Aldo has really fallen off and I think he looked good against Moraes after the first bc moraes really slowed down His output and made that fight closer than it should have been. It def was a split dec and could have easily gone to aldo. Aldo just hasn’t been the same after mcgregor took his soul ending him in 13 seconds ( a fight I thought aldo would easily win) since then aldo has shown some chin issues and has certainly lost a step from his dominant days. The other part about it is the odds. I’m seeing cejudo as low as -162 and I’m all over that.

fair points I’ve always loved aldo I just feel like cejudo has improved his standup so much and I don’t see aldo hurting him. Aldo has really fallen off and I think he looked good against Moraes after the first bc moraes really slowed down His output and made that fight closer than it should have been. It def was a split dec and could have easily gone to aldo. Aldo just hasn’t been the same after mcgregor took his soul ending him in 13 seconds ( a fight I thought aldo would easily win) since then aldo has shown some chin issues and has certainly lost a step from his dominant days. The other part about it is the odds. I’m seeing cejudo as low as -162 and I’m all over that.
I know cejudo is in his prime and aldo seems to be '"declining" but really, if you think about the matchup itself, cejudo has got his hands full. How do you think he beats aldo? Late tko, dec? Aldo's cardio is definitely his biggest weakness atm, but is it a big one really? He's been ko'ed by big 45ers conor and max (who puts on stupid volume and pace, more than henry). As much as cejudo may have improved, he's a stocky 35er with a substancial reach disadvantage. The fact that aldo is very, very hard to takedown and even harder to keep down is bad news for henry, who will have no other option but to get inside boxing range and trade hands with the bigger, arguably more explosive aldo. Either way, i'm pretty sure someone's getting ko'ed here.

@Monster Meat @theTKDguy Aldo is not fallen off. At least not by a lot. The thing is his style is tailor made to crush wrestlers/grapplers.

His TDD is out of this world and most wrestlers have overly simplistic striking game he can easily deal with. The first signs of a "downfall" started when Chad Mendes decided he is gonna just strike with Aldo in the rematch. He didn't win, but the fight was very very competitive just because Chad choose to strike (and he was with Duane at the time, who is excellent striking coach). After this fight he faced either pure strikers or people who chose to strike with him. He is half the fighter he is vs other strikers, plain and simple.

Yeah, Cejudo is not a striker, but you can bet your ass he can do a good Volkanovski impression. And he is going to have 2 rounds more than Volkanovski had, which is terrible for Aldo. Aldo never pushes the tempo because he doesn't have the gastank and he is not a pressure fighter. He is an opportunist - waiting for one big counter, which makes him jumpy, biting on every faint (one of the things Max used to gas him). The flaws of his style were exposed a couple of times already. I don't know if Cejudo will win just because it's the fightgame, but I favour him for sure. Aldo's speed was one of the cornerstones of his style and going a weightclass lower means you will fight faster fighters and you will lose your speed advantage. If Cejudo showed us anything so far it's that he and his team really prepare well for his opponents.

Ferguson vs Masvidal for interim title.

Last edited:
Masvidal makes even less sense to me. Gamebred trying to avoid those Nigerian Nightmares.

Aldo is a tune up match for Henry, that's why he picked the fight over many other options.

They had Aldo, Edgar and Faber all lined up in fights against top contenders at BW in the hope one of them would win and Henry could fight them... But they all fucked it up. Faber lost to Yan, Aldo lost to Marlon and Edger stupidly took the Zombie fight and guaranteed himself a KO loss.

The plan to give Henry a free pass fight failed so badly the UFC just went 'Fuck it, let's just say Aldo looked like a winner and feed him to Henry'.

Aldo will lose.

Guys why do you talk about Aldo vs Cejudo? This fight isnt on ufc 249
(Aldo will win)

@Monster Meat @theTKDguy Aldo is not fallen off. At least not by a lot. The thing is his style is tailor made to crush wrestlers/grapplers.

His TDD is out of this world and most wrestlers have overly simplistic striking game he can easily deal with. The first signs of a "downfall" started when Chad Mendes decided he is gonna just strike with Aldo in the rematch. He didn't win, but the fight was very very competitive just because Chad choose to strike (and he was with Duane at the time, who is excellent striking coach). After this fight he faced either pure strikers or people who chose to strike with him. He is half the fighter he is vs other strikers, plain and simple.

Yeah, Cejudo is not a striker, but you can bet your ass he can do a good Volkanovski impression.
And he is going to have 2 rounds more than Volkanovski had, which is terrible for Aldo. Aldo never pushes the tempo because he doesn't have the gastank and he is not a pressure fighter. He is an opportunist - waiting for one big counter, which makes him jumpy, biting on every faint (one of the things Max used to gas him). The flaws of his style were exposed a couple of times already. I don't know if Cejudo will win just because it's the fightgame, but I favour him for sure. Aldo's speed was one of the cornerstones of his style and going a weightclass lower means you will fight faster fighters and you will lose your speed advantage. If Cejudo showed us anything so far it's that he and his team really prepare well for his opponents.

You are spot on regarding the fact that cejudo has a great team behind him, capt america is an awesome coach. Buut i don't think cejudo has the skillset to fight aldo the way volk did. He doesn't have a strong kicking game (volk throws tons of leg kicks to score) and his footwork is basic unlike volk, who's deceptively a very good striker with nice ring craft and angles. Furthermore, the fight being 5 rounds means that to pull off that gameplan cejudo would have to be super patient and aldo too, and i honestly don't see that happening. Sooner or later they'll start taking risks and i see aldo getting the better of henry when they both get loose. Everything changes if by some reason cejudo can impose his wrestling (i'm pretty sure he won'tbe able to). This fight won' t go the distance

@theTKDguy I just favour tripe C, that's all. I am not saying he is gonna win for sure. Just what the fight looks like on paper is Cejudo with the slight, maybe moderate advantage.

What Volk did wasn't so complicated that nobody can replicate it. Basically he threw a shit ton of bullshit volume mixed with feints. You just have to be confident and to have the athleticism and cardio to do it. And I know he has all three of these. Aldo is getting into Robbie Lawler territory. He had started losing to fighters who's primary style ain't even striking, just because he gets outhustled. He has energy for one or two bursts per round, and more and more the kind of wild bursts just for show, they don't do anything more than trying to steal a round where he did jack shit. Cejudo prolly won't score TDs, but I can easily see him pushing Aldo on the fence for brief moments.

I don't think it will be easy for Cejudo, he's not Volk, he's not Max... But to beat Aldo gets more and more easy with the time. He gets older and more than a couple people showed different ways to do it. The key is to move, don't present him with a stationary target. After that overwhelm him with mix of little interruptive strikes and feints of these strikes, so he can't time and counter them. And that's pretty much it. Aldo can't do much to adjust to that tactic. He can't answer with more volume because of the poor cardio, he can't change levels and mix in TDs because he is not a wrestler. The only thing he can do is to throw harder and look for instant KO, which digs his grave deeper.

Last edited:
@theTKDguy I just favour tripe C, that's all. I am not saying he is gonna win for sure. Just what the fight looks like on paper is Cejudo with the slight, maybe moderate advantage.

What Volk did wasn't so complicated that nobody can replicate it. Basically he threw a shit ton of bullshit volume mixed with feints. You just have to be confident and to have the athleticism and cardio to do it. And I know he has all three of these. Aldo is getting into Robbie Lawler territory. He had started losing to fighters who's primary style ain't even striking, just because he gets outhustled. He has energy for one or two bursts per round, and more and more the kind of wild bursts just for show, they don't do anything more than trying to steal a round where he did jack shit. Cejudo prolly won't score TDs, but I can easily see him pushing Aldo on the fence for brief moments.

I don't think it will be easy for Cejudo, he's not Volk, he's not Max... But to beat Aldo gets more and more easy with the time. He gets older and more than a couple people showed different ways to do it. The key is to move, don't present him with a stationary target. After that overwhelm him with mix of little interruptive strikes and feints of these strikes, so he can't time and counter them. And that's pretty much it. Aldo can't do much to adjust to that tactic. He can't answer with more volume because of the poor cardio, he can't change levels and mix in TDs because he is not a wrestler. The only thing he can do is to throw harder and look for instant KO, which digs his grave deeper.
Is cejudo really a guy to move, throw a diversity of strikes and feints? Or more of a wrestle boxer with a karate stance and a good straight?

Is cejudo really a guy to move, throw a diversity of strikes and feints? Or more of a wrestle boxer with a karate stance and a good straight?
He's not like Volk or Max for sure. But I've seen him, you've seen him - the guy can do all these things. It's not in his nature, it's not his A-game, yeah. It's not on the City Kickboxing guys level, but he's alright.
He doesn't have the lenght for distance striking, he has to go to the pocket and work there, I admit. Unlike with Moraes, he probably won't be chewed up if he chill at distance with Aldo, because Aldo is not kicking much. For the fight in close Cejudo has some neat tricks to bridge the gap to get there and in a relatively safe way. Henry might be wrestler with a big right hand, but oh boy that right is super fast and he throws it surprisingly tight and without much wind up.

TKD I might have a bad read on that fight, as I do a lot of times. Maybe Aldo is a killer match up for Henry and he'll fuck him up. I don't really know. All I know is I wanna see UFC getting back on track :) But first the virus to go away! I don't wanna see half assed events and fighters and staff getting their health on the line and the health of others.

He's not like Volk or Max for sure. But I've seen him, you've seen him - the guy can do all these things. It's not in his nature, it's not his A-game, yeah. It's not on the City Kickboxing guys level, but he's alright.
He doesn't have the lenght for distance striking, he has to go to the pocket and work there, I admit. Unlike with Moraes, he probably won't be chewed up if he chill at distance with Aldo, because Aldo is not kicking much. For the fight in close Cejudo has some neat tricks to bridge the gap to get there and in a relatively safe way. Henry might be wrestler with a big right hand, but oh boy that right is super fast and he throws it surprisingly tight and without much wind up.

TKD I might have a bad read on that fight, as I do a lot of times. Maybe Aldo is a killer match up for Henry and he'll fuck him up. I don't really know. All I know is I wanna see UFC getting back on track :) But first the virus to go away! I don't wanna see half assed events and fighters and staff getting their health on the line and the health of others.
Agreed kyle, hope we get back to normal as soon as possible. I'm liking aldo this time but it's also an opinion, we never really know. I enjoy watching cejudo and know how good he is, just feel it's a tough matchup for him and closer than odds suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back