UFC 262 Chandler vs Olivera

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/sports/sportsrules.htm#61111

One important thing to note is that these fights are happening in Texas and they are still using the old ruleset and judging criteria. Takedowns score more under this ruleset. The criteria on the Texas website is pretty vague I'm trying to find the actual criteria for the old rules. Here it is:

>Judges shall evaluate mixed martial arts techniques, such as effective striking, effective grappling, control of the fighting area, effective aggressiveness and defense. Evaluations shall be made in the order in which the techniques appear, giving the most weight in scoring to effective striking, effective grappling, control of the fighting area and effective aggressiveness and defense. Effective striking is judged by determining the number of legal strikes landed by a contestant and the significance of such legal strikes.

>Effective grappling is judged by considering the amount of successful executions of a legal takedown and reversals. Examples of factors to consider are take downs from standing position to mount position, passing the guard to mount position, and bottom position fighters using an active, threatening guard.

>Fighting area control is judged by determining who is dictating the pace, location and position of the bout. Examples of factors to consider are countering a grappler’s attempt at takedown by remaining standing and legally striking; taking down an opponent to force a ground fight; creating threatening submission attempts, passing the guard to achieve mount, and creating striking opportunities.

>Effective aggressiveness means moving forward and landing a legal strike or takedown.

>Effective defense means avoiding being struck, taken down or reversed while countering with offensive attacks.

https://www.abcboxing.com/committee-report-on-unified-rules-for-mma/
Ugh I still have Ptsd from the last Texas card

smh fixed fights, the worst judging I’ve ever seen

I guess Teymur dropping him is technically correct but it's not the way I'd phrase that. Oliveira was throwing a kick and off balance when the punch landed. He certainly does not look hurt when he hits the ground and definitely was not slowed down.
Maybe, I still think there's more evidence to suggest that Oliveira doesn't have a great chin now than does. Especially if the best example of it being good is Lee hitting him, the most notable bit of that sequence to me is that a tired not particularly great striker like Lee was able to land that easily on him, you can't get away with that against a guy like Chandler.

This is one great vid, if you got time watch it. Din gives mike some insight and talks about some of the things i thought about the oliveira matchup. Hyped about this fight, gonna be wild

Is this the one where he said Charles has no wrestling? Lmfao

Short Notice:
- Rogério Bontorin (in for Alex Perez 1 loss) vs. Matt Schnell was +245
- Sean Soriano (in for Joel Alvarez 3 wins) vs. Christos Giagos was +150

Fight Camps:
Charles Oliveira vs. Michael Chandler - 7 weeks
Tony Ferguson vs. Beneil Dariush - 8+ weeks
Jack Hermansson vs. Edmen Shahbazyan - 7 weeks
Katlyn Chookagian vs. Viviane Araujo - 8+ weeks
Shane Burgos vs. Edson Barboza - 8+ weeks
Jacare Souza vs. Andre Muniz - 6 weeks
Matt Schnell vs. Rogerio Bontorin - 2 weeks for Bontorin, 8+ for Schnell
Lando Vannata vs. Mike Grundy - 5 weeks
Andrea Lee vs. Antonina Shevchenko - 8+ weeks
Jordan Wright vs. Jamie Pickett - 8+ weeks
Gina Mazany vs. Priscila Cachoeira - 8+ weeks
Kevin Aguilar vs. Tucker Lutz - 5 weeks
Christos Giagos vs. Sean Soriano - 0 weeks for Soriano, 8+ for Giagos
What do you see in Jordan Wright? Im 50/50 on that one.

Maybe, I still think there's more evidence to suggest that Oliveira doesn't have a great chin now than does. Especially if the best example of it being good is Lee hitting him, the most notable bit of that sequence to me is that a tired not particularly great striker like Lee was able to land that easily on him, you can't get away with that against a guy like Chandler.
I am hoping the Chandler TKO, KO or DQ prop will be as juicy as it was for Alex Morono.

I wanted to play Oliveira big from long time ago,and after a bad weekend od betting I'm gonna max bet him to het back

I favor Oliveira by a decent margin but would very much recommend against max betting this fight to make up losses.

I also took a beating this weekend so I am looking for spots as well, but Oliveira/Chandler is way too close to chase your losses through this fight.

Dariush/Ferguson, in favor of Dariush, is a better spot and even in that fight there are too many unknowns to bet the house on one guy.

The May cards do not have many good spots, but the June cards have a ton of juicy ones with some amazing value so would recommend just being patient.

Maybe not a bad chin but dropped by Teymur plus the Felder fight on a run of opponents that hasn't been anything special. I can't recall Lee ever hurting anyone with his hands and Fergs shot. He loves charging in with zero headmovement chin high and is now going against one of the hardest hitting guys in the division.

Oh it's not that Chandler can't shut his lights off, he most definitely can. But that's not really about Chuck's chin, that's because Chandler hits like a truck at LW.

I just think Charles hasn't showed a weak chin at 155 at all.

Nice analysis dude, I mostly agree with the things you say although I still have a lot of questions concerning Barboza against pressure fighters. The blueprint is out and he lost pretty much all the time against dudes that put him against the fence with relentless pace and pressure and take away his kicking game. Burgos fits that archetype imo. Matchup wise he feels similar to Ferguson with better boxing, but worse jiujitsu.

Barboza is losing all these split decision fights that the media score for him because he spends too much time with leg kicks and body shots.

Flashy strikes, head strikes, are what get the attention of the judges. In both the Felder and Ige fights he was outstriking them but both men were throwing and landing more strikes to the head nearly every round.

Unless Edson is banking on late round KOs if he fights Burgos the same way he fought Felder and Ige he is going to lose another decision. Burgos is also a high volume striker that throws a lot of head strikes so this could very well be another fight where Barboza lands the more impactful strikes but loses due to the lack of volume to the head of his opponent.

just rewatched Dariush vs CDf 2 , how the fuck was that a split decision lol?? This judging stuff is really a joke. Dariush dominated him in all 3 rounds, his BJJ is just tremendous and he always manages to end up on top. I think Ferguson will just get wrestlefucked. The only path to victory for Ferguson is Darisuh going all out in rd 1 to finish and then gassing completely.

There's plenty of middle ground between having "a great chin" and being "chinny" though.

At 145 I think "chinny" was fair. Dude was emaciated and skeletal, reacted poorly very often when hit clean. Nothing I've seen since his move up has said "chinny" to me. I agree, it's not fair either to say he has a "great chin". He hasn't taken big shots from power punchers and walked through them or anything. Somewhere in the middle is likely more accurate.

barboza is nice as a dog against jab magnet burgos but not soo confident rn. burgos does have bricks for hands and edson gets wobbly more often than not.
In which fight does he show this? He's never knocked anyone out early, he's only got one KO victory (admittedly I have not seen his 2 TKOs and the one KO before his UFC run).

The TKOs over Amirkhani and Rosa both came after they were exhausted and worn down from him punching them, not because he cracked them so badly. In fact, both guys were exhausted and still taking shots for awhile before the TKO. Mr Finland was pooped for much of the 2nd round, and he survived until late in the 3rd.

@UFCIsNOTRigged, it seems like people are pretty unanimous on Barboza's two decisions being terrible. Losing a split that's a razor thin fight is one thing, but it's pretty uncommon for a near even sweep in the media scorecards, plus the audience being 80% in agreeance.

Barboza put a lickin' on Mr. Finland, but just couldn't get the finish despite dropping him twice in a short time in his most recent outing after the two losses. Couldn't quite get the finish, but was a very definitive outclassing on the feet.

Gina Mazany vs. Priscila Cachoeira

Both were born on August 19, 1988.

There must be some type of underlying narrative here, but I haven't found it yet.

In which fight does he show this? He's never knocked anyone out early, he's only got one KO victory (admittedly I have not seen his 2 TKOs and the one KO before his UFC run).

The TKOs over Amirkhani and Rosa both came after they were exhausted and worn down from him punching them, not because he cracked them so badly. In fact, both guys were exhausted and still taking shots for awhile before the TKO. Mr Finland was pooped for much of the 2nd round, and he survived until late in the 3rd.

@UFCIsNOTRigged, it seems like people are pretty unanimous on Barboza's two decisions being terrible. Losing a split that's a razor thin fight is one thing, but it's pretty uncommon for a near even sweep in the media scorecards, plus the audience being 80% in agreeance.

Barboza put a lickin' on Mr. Finland, but just couldn't get the finish despite dropping him twice in a short time in his most recent outing after the two losses. Couldn't quite get the finish, but was a very definitive outclassing on the feet.

You misunderstood the point of my post.

My point was not Barboza did not deserve to win the Ige/Felder fights.

I was stating he did not outpoint his opponents on the judges scorecards because in both fights in 2/3 rounds his opponents threw and landed far more strikes to the head than he did. Edson in those fights threw too many body shots and leg kicks that did not register in the eyes of the judges.

It ultimately does not matter if the media scores the fight for Edson, the only scores that matter are those on the judges scorecards and Edson needs some flashier offense or its going to be tough for him to outpoint Burgos who is a volume striker.

Edson is definitely capable of winning the fight, but it would be a huge mistake to discount why he lost those two fights in the judges eyes and whether or not he will fight similarly against Burgos.

Isn't Burgis basically a punching bag? Just waits out damage, getting out struck by Charles Rosa and going to split decision with Cub Swanson

Back