UFC 265: Lewis vs Gane - Discussion Thread

You guys have convince me to stay away from Kape. He reminds me of Jordan Griffen. Gives up too many rounds, just does the bare minimum. Pass for me.

Remember though that everyone thought Kape won his last fight, check the media scores. What would the odds be for Kape here if he didn't arguably get "robbed"?

http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/11741/Matheus-Nicolau-vs-Manel-Kape
Interesting that all the media members had him winning. It came down to the third, and for 90% of the round he just kept eating clean hooks to the face. He didn't react at all due to his chin being granite, but those are clean sig strikes. With like 30 sec to go he landed a flying knee and opened up a bit, so im ok with him losing that round.

“Oh shit hey Donald Trump”

I don’t necessarily think it’s the damage that’ll catch up to him as he really hasn’t taken an excessive amount despite his long career it’s more the fact he’s at the age where his reflexes and fast twitch muscles he’s so reliant on start to decline. As a Bobby Green fan I hate this fight for him and it really doesn’t make a lot of sense from a matchmaking perspective.

If he can make him miss a lot and wear him out to where he can start grappling, that would help. Tough matchup for him though.

Remember though that everyone thought Kape won his last fight, check the media scores. What would the odds be for Kape here if he didn't arguably get "robbed"?

http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/11741/Matheus-Nicolau-vs-Manel-Kape

My guess is that they would probably be slightly wider? It's probably a little too wide as is now, but the only thing it says to me is that someone sees it too hard to believe someone as talented as him loses 3 straight off the bat coming into the UFC

Simmons d3 wrestler . Munoz knows this. But the selling point for Munoz is his faster hands and nice kicks. He beat Nate madness imo if he didn't stop kicking him in the nuts. Munoz has good bjj too to keep Simmons from laying and praying.

The scorecards for that fight were 29-27 unanimous so even without the nut shots we would have lost 29-28. Maness is a better fighter than Simmons I would say, but Maness also got taken down easier than I think Simmons would.

You make an interesting point about the kicks, I do think Munoz is better at range.
It's hard to gauge Simmons striking because he was put against a long, rangey kickboxer Chikadze for his first fight who would KO Munoz as well most likely.

Lastly, isn't Simmons the bigger guy naturally or am I wrong? I want to see them at the weigh-ins.

The scorecards for that fight were 29-27 unanimous so even without the nut shots we would have lost 29-28. Maness is a better fighter than Simmons I would say, but Maness also got taken down easier than I think Simmons would.

You make an interesting point about the kicks, I do think Munoz is better at range.
It's hard to gauge Simmons striking because he was put against a long, rangey kickboxer Chikadze for his first fight who would KO Munoz as well most likely.

Lastly, isn't Simmons the bigger guy naturally or am I wrong? I want to see them at the weigh-ins.
Bad judging, Munoz had him down for 10 mins of the fight and out landed him in every round. Nate barely landed anything and was back pedaling. You’d think they’d give Munoz points for agression.

i feel confident with Munoz, he reminds me of Ronnie Lawence. Very athletic and well balance. Maybe not the same gas tank. But i cant see Simmons posing much of a threat. His standup is very basic, doesn’t throw combos, goes for takedowns but cant hold em down. Johnny should win via submission or tko.

think the fight will be close

Why?

Green is decent and can pull out impressive performances now and then but Fiziev is an animal and might be a future contender. I honestly think he beats most of the top 15 right now.

Why?

Green is decent and can pull out impressive performances now and then but Fiziev is an animal and might be a future contender. I honestly think he beats most of the top 15 right now.

Fiz has already been beaten in the UFC (TKO) and is obviously another TKO waiting to happen with his reckless, although well-executed style (so far).

Why?

Green is solid all around. He could take Fiziev down. A lot of things can happen.

Over -300 price tags are for mismatches and I don’t think that’s the case here. Fiziev is very talented but things tend to happen in mma and my gut feeling is that the line is wide and Fiziev doesn’t deserve that price tag in this spot

we saw it last week. Barberena was nearly -300 vs Witt and a lot of guys including myself thought witts chin wasn’t going to hold up. Witt ends up winning using his wrestling and avoids getting slept

Rafa Garcia inexplicably gasses in the first round and he closed over -300 vs a Gritty vet like gruetzmacher.

I had gut feelings on those fights but ending up reaching on the chalk after my bigger plays got canceled and ended up losing quite a bit. I’ve been doing really well this year and it’s been few and far between since I lost an event like that.

sometimes you need to take shots in these situations. I don’t feel like fiz is elite. He hasn’t been tested. There are question marks about aspects of his game and I just don’t see the -330

Last edited:
You misunderstood again.

I never said Edgar would give him his toughest fight in the UFC. I was saying Jose Aldo did.

Tying in to the point 38 year old Frankie edged Pedro out, I think Jose will do so comfortable.

Ah thanks for clarifying, yup definitely misunderstood.

Rewarding Kape's last fight I think he definitely took round 1 and 3, but that doesn't change the fact that he just has a style that judges will never like. He's the more skilled more experienced fighter here by a decent margin, but Ode has some unknowns that make him dangerous, longer bigger guy, more explosive early, dangerous ground game.

Obviously with a pick'em line it's Kape without question, but Ode +200? Seems wide to me, for a guy that could just do something wild and flukey at any moment on top of his having some legit advantages.

Just going a some what competitive 3 rounds is good for Ode because you never know what the judges are seeing with him

In regards to Osbourne vs Kape, we could see Kape's chin get tested early here. Kape seems to be more of a slow starter, and Ode comes out strong right off the bat. Ode packs some power (he is moving down a weightclass[!]) but Kape has got a chin on him.

Kape's wrestling will be his biggest advantage, and hopefully he uses it early.

In regards to Osbourne vs Kape, we could see Kape's chin get tested early here. Kape seems to be more of a slow starter, and Ode comes out strong right off the bat. Ode packs some power (he is moving down a weightclass[!]) but Kape has got a chin on him.

Kape's wrestling will be his biggest advantage, and hopefully he uses it early.
Is it really an advantage? Osbourne has a wrestling background

Anyone whose done tape on Gane!!

I've heard the assertion every time he strikes with a body shot he leaves his head wide open for a counter?

Do you find this to be accurate?

Back