UFC Fight Night 179: Holm vs. Aldana

Holly-Julianna parlay.

That’s what this card has come down to.

If they both lose, I’ll delete this post and pretend it never happened.

Does anyone know why Ayari and Vendramini havent fought in 2 years? Its hard to take any taping on them seriously being that they dont fight often and a lot can happen in 2 years.

Maybe I overstated how bad her TDD is, she is not horrible but she isnt good by any means. She does have good balance but I dont think she has underrated TDD defense at all, its just bad. Plus she is completely defenseless on the ground, like completely defenseless. Albu and Hill only tried to take her down in the clinch, which is baffling considering she is a Muay Thai fighter, she is obviously good in the clinch and will knee you to death from there. Frey, on the other hand, shoots double-legs and presses against the cage to dive down for take downs. She just needs to complete 1 take down for 2 rounds and she will be getting a decision because there is no way Lookboonmee will be getting up. I have yet to see a fighter shoot double legs on Lookboonmee they only try and take her down from the clinch...then again this is WMMA. I just hope Frey shoots for double legs instead of standing and striking with her because it would be a horrible idea...but then again this is WMMA.

Unfortunately after betting Frey last time out and being so high after round one, I wont be surprised to see her get subbed by Loma.

Holly-Julianna parlay.

That’s what this card has come down to.

If they both lose, I’ll delete this post and pretend it never happened.

Why the parlay though? Play them solo. If they both win you are sitting pretty. If you go 1-1 you are still in decent shape. Both fights are close to coin-flips, there is a good chance at least one loses. No need to parlay, especially at these odds.

I love me some Juliana Pena. Haven't taped this fight yet, but has anyone gotten a read on it yet? I read somewhere that GDR says she (and I'm paraphrasing here) "learned her lesson from being taken down so much by Nunes in her last fight". I'm sure this is what it's going to come to here, and whether or not Pena is capable of holding GDR down for long periods of time.

The other thing I think shouldn't be overlooked is how Pena has gotten these fights to the ground. I was in attendance at UFC 245 and I recall Nunes being physically able to pick GDR up. I don't recall Pena doing that to anyone (or has she?).

Ehhh. I looked into the Pena/GDR matchup. Like I said, I love me some Pena, but don't love her for this fight. She's gritty and will fight for your money, the problem is that I wonder whether or not at this point in her career if she's relegated to being high level gate keeper due to injury/time off. I should note that I may be one of the few who's high on Nicco Montano as a fighter and thought Pena didn't exactly look the greatest there. Part of me thinks it was because of time off, the other part of me says the game is catching up to Pena potentially - especially since I see Montano as more of a 125er (despite her history of missing weight there).

In any case, Pena spends a lot of time in the clinch, and GDR should be equal there in terms of striking/strength. The biggest areas of concern are that I can see GDR connecting on clinch breaks like she did with Holly and in situations at range where GDR will have a clear striking technical advantage. I haven't seen Pena do what Nunes was able to do, which was get GDR off the ground without consistently relying on trips or using her opponents momentum against her. For that reason, I wouldn't be surprised to see GDR land some sort of trip into a takedown herself.

Even still, Pena doesn't have the GnP Nunes does, which in my opinion made GDR think more about defending herself on the ground as opposed to spending more time trying to get up. I think the right side is GDR here.

Card is pretty bad for viewing and betting imo, but next week is shaping up to be my biggest event ever, biggest play so far is Tony Kelley
You may want to tell the people what price you paid for him before all of sherdog max bets him at -185

I favour slightly Irene Aldana in this main event. I know she isn't that good, but I have reasons.

THE CLINCH
  1. Aldana uses mainly long 1-2s, which kills the clinch. And we know how much Holly LOVES and DEPENDS on the clinch lately. Her striking isn't winning her battles anymore, it's the fucking wall and stall.
  2. Aldana has quick feet, moves well, and has quick hips. These, in combination with her long punches, will make it even harder for Holly to clinch up with her. (When Holly gets to the clinch she isn't that easy to push off. She is big, strong girl and she doesn't do much there, so there's not a lot of opportunities to break it)
  3. Aldana doesn't have much interest to stay in the clinch - on her opponent's terms or not. So unlike Rocky, she is more likely to disengage from the clinch the first opportunity she sees.
THE STRIKING
  1. Aldana punches harder, with more volume and more accuracy. She has poor defense, but Holly is pulling her punches and her running combos are missing a lot, especially vs mobile fighters who cut angles and don't stand there like a dummy.
  2. Holly has dangerous kicks. Or had dangerous kicks. She is nearing 40, she is a step slower, and in result of that her kicks are not that fast and surprising. I know she surprised Bethe, but come on - Bethe is slow as fuck.
IN CONCLUSION
I think Aldana will win this narrowly. She will lose a lot of time in the beginning being hugged on the fences. She'll probably get better avoiding the clinch as the rounds go by. Probably she will deal the more damage in the fight, but it's possible Holly's no power smoke-and-mirrors flurries and clinches against the cage to make her look like she does more in judges' eyes. Remember, two judges gave her two rounds and one judge gave her one round in the fight against Cyborg, where she got outstriked in every single round and these strikes were all significant.

Also like Williams vs imavov fotn winner +700 on bol

finally I can bet these again

Fights off. Breese v KB Bhullar whoever that is

I favour slightly Irene Aldana in this main event. I know she isn't that good, but I have reasons.

THE CLINCH
  1. Aldana uses mainly long 1-2s, which kills the clinch. And we know how much Holly LOVES and DEPENDS on the clinch lately. Her striking isn't winning her battles anymore, it's the fucking wall and stall.
  2. Aldana has quick feet, moves well, and has quick hips. These, in combination with her long punches, will make it even harder for Holly to clinch up with her. (When Holly gets to the clinch she isn't that easy to push off. She is big, strong girl and she doesn't do much there, so there's not a lot of opportunities to break it)
  3. Aldana doesn't have much interest to stay in the clinch - on her opponent's terms or not. So unlike Rocky, she is more likely to disengage from the clinch the first opportunity she sees.
THE STRIKING
  1. Aldana punches harder, with more volume and more accuracy. She has poor defense, but Holly is pulling her punches and her running combos are missing a lot, especially vs mobile fighters who cut angles and don't stand there like a dummy.
  2. Holly has dangerous kicks. Or had dangerous kicks. She is nearing 40, she is a step slower, and in result of that her kicks are not that fast and surprising. I know she surprised Bethe, but come on - Bethe is slow as fuck.
IN CONCLUSION
I think Aldana will win this narrowly. She will lose a lot of time in the beginning being hugged on the fences. She'll probably get better avoiding the clinch as the rounds go by. Probably she will deal the more damage in the fight, but it's possible Holly's no power smoke-and-mirrors flurries and clinches against the cage to make her look like she does more in judges' eyes. Remember, two judges gave her two rounds and one judge gave her one round in the fight against Cyborg, where she got outstriked in every single round and these strikes were all significant.

hehe i have the same read except I think Holly will control the distance for the most part and win a decision. Either she'll be in grappling distance for wall-n-stall or she'll be in kickboxing range where Aldana will miss most of her shots.

hehe i have the same read except I think Holly will control the distance for the most part and win a decision. Either she'll be in grappling distance for wall-n-stall or she'll be in kickboxing range where Aldana will miss most of her shots.
I can see that, but in my opinion Aldana can and will probably win in the kickboxing distance. Aldana punches long and straight, Holly's lean forward upper body is putting her face in closer range to be punched and most importantly Holly's only weapons in kickboxing distance are weak push kicks to the thigh or lead leg kicks, that are more a liability than actual distance controller at this point. At least this is what I see.

Didn't realize both of dequans brothers got shot and killed in mall last month. Pretty brutal paired with about to be going 0-4 in ufc in a few days and released. Feel bad for him.

Card is pretty bad for viewing and betting imo, but next week is shaping up to be my biggest event ever, biggest play so far is Tony Kelley

You're not worried about Kelly fighting at bantamweight for the first time? That's the only thing that concerns me here.

Back