UFC Fight Night - Gane vs Volkov - Official Discussion

2020Tracked

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Screenshot_20210620-093919_Chrome.jpg

Let's talk about it.

Looks a bit of a mess of a card but the main event is great.

Nzechukwu and Dalby have some value imo.

Lowkey a banger of a card imo. Already played Rakhmonov fairly big at 1.45. I think Prazeres is done, he's 39 years old and looked awful in his last fight against Naurdiev. Rakhmonov on the other hand is quite impressive and dispatched Oliveira in his debut with ease after an impressive streak in M1. The l danger comes from Prazeres' jits, but I don't think he'll be able to get it there.

Think i'll play Volkov in the main event too. I feel that the kickboxing skills are fairly even, but I give the power edge to Volkov. He's a whole different beast after his bulk-up.

Small cage in Las Vegas Apex

Prelims at 1:00 PM eastern

Saturday, June 26

#UFCVegas30

Props to look at

Julia Avila decision
Raoni Barcelos dec
Andre Fili dec
Charles Rosa dec

Marcin Prachnio KO
Shavkat Rakhmonov KO
Renato Moicano submission
Danilo Marques submission

Ciryl Gane dec
Tanner Boser dec
Tim Means dec
Damir Hadzovic dec

Reading material I found:

Shavkat Rakhmonov: (October 2020)

Rakhmonov has faced some good competition in his career, and has never fought anyone with a losing record. On the feet he has a good jab and is really good throwing his lead knee in the air like it’s a roundhouse kick. Rakhmonov is a diverse striker mixing up his attacks and while he’s not the quickest, he’s tough to read. His striking defense is a bit worrying though. In fights, his hands are low and his chin is high and that’s resulted in him nearly getting knocked out before.

When it comes to wrestling it’s questionable on both sides of the spectrum. Rakhmonov isn’t much of an offensive wrestler and struggles defending take-downs. Either on the top or on his back he’s at his best when using his jiu-jitsu. Rakhmonov hardly has any resistance to defending take-downs. He has a dangerous guillotine, will throw up a triangle, and with fluid hips will attack with arm-bars. On top of a good submission game, Rakhmonov has heavy ground and pound. At only 25 I believe we’ll see Rakhmonov in the UFC for a long time. He’s someone I can see havig a few setbacks early in his career on his way to becoming a much better athlete over the years.

• Striking: C+
  • Kickboxing: C+
  • Clinch: B+
  • Wrestling: C+
  • Grappling: B+
  • Striking Defense: C
  • Take down Defense: C-
  • Cardio: B+
  • Biggest Strength: Grappling
  • Biggest Weakness: TDD

Tanner Boser:

Unlike most heavyweights, Boser doesn’t have the explosiveness nor the knockout power. What Boser does have is solid cardio, which is rare in most heavyweights. Boser likes to keep the fight upright and his takedown defense has held up for the most part of his career. His best weapon is his leg kicks, and when he decides to commit to it, he has landed so many that he has a few stoppages strictly due to leg kicks. Boser also does a nice job throwing his hands after his kicks.

What he does lack is aggression as he is a point-fighter, picking his shots which has given him the label of “boring.” Despite his style, he’s only lost to good fighters and has done enough to deserve this opportunity. Boser isn’t too fast and his striking defense isn’t up to par and that allows more explosive guys to tee off on him. With good takedown defense, the times he’s winded up on his back he didn’t have much at all to offer. He’s been in danger quite a few times but has shown toughness, only getting finished once in his career. Boser is good but against an explosive striker, he will struggle. Boser also allows opponents to back him into the cage quite easily and that’s a concern going forward.

Ciryl Gane: (June 2019)

Gane has really showcased his stand-up. He has a strong straight jab he uses often and it set up the overhands that he likes to throw. Gane is unorthodox is the way he throws his strikes like a standing hammer fist and a double punch. That said, he can be a little bit wild but he throws from so many different angles it makes him hard to read. The Frenchman has shown that his Muay Thai is legit as he has excellent knees, mixing it in with his strikes well.

He’s shown with the pace he throws that he has some good cardio. He’s good at range with his looping hooks, overhands, kicks, stabbing jabs, and his 83″ reach. When the fight is in close quarters he has good control, elbows, and his fantastic use of knees.

• Striking: A
  • Kickboxing: C
  • Clinch: A
  • Wrestling: D
  • Grappling: D
  • Striking Defense: B-
  • Take down Defense: ?
  • Cardio: B-
  • Biggest Strength: Muay Thai
  • Biggest Weakness: Lack of Experience

Julia Avila:

Avila is aggressive from the start looking to push the action as fast as possible. She is mainly a striker, hardly ever going to the mat and her takedown defense has held up pretty well. It’s no secret when watching Avila that her right hand is her primary weapon and it’s very good. Avila is solid in the clinch as well with solid knees and intelligent striking off the break. What makes her a different fighter is her constant attack with her high volume, which is usually too much for her opponents.

Raoni Barcelos:

Barcelos is dangerous everywhere the fight goes. Striking-wise, Barcelos has a lot of power in his hands and has very good movement and precision. He is able to either light you up landing multiple shots or he can shut the lights out with one punch and his counter-striking is outstanding. Barcelos’ wrestling is outstanding, his level-changes are great along with some awesome ground-and-pound.

Danilo Marques:

He’s mainly a grappler, although on the feet he throws a good jab — but that’s about all. He’s pretty sloppy striking wise and will blindly shoot for take downs. While he doesn’t have high-level wrestling capabilities, if he does get the fight to the mat he’s in his wheelhouse.

Barcelos is the second coming of Aldo

I like a lot of dogs pre tape here.

Taped Gane/Volkov, lean Gane.

Volkov is a stationary target for the most part, takes the centre and edges his way in, but his feet are set the majority of the time, if Gane is in and out Volkov will have to be fast enough to counter him when he enters, he's accurate but he's not fast. He's also foot slow, which I do think helps him conserve energy but he's been able to be the front foot pressuring fighter in all of his UFC Fight, apart from Blaydes. Interesting to see what happens if Gane makes him back up, does Volkov have a back foot game?

I think Gane gets a lot of work done with leg kicks early and slows Volkov even more.

I will probably play an over of goes the distance, rather than bet a side

From memory Jaynes is round 1 or bust fighter, was thinking of live betting Rosa after round 1 as he's pretty tough and should get there, and although I don't like him much in general Jaynes is just awful and Rosa should be able to beat him when he's gassed I would hope lol. Anyone agree?

Nobody likes Timur Valiev at almost +200?
I might put a little on him, but Barcelos pace might be too much for him, and the chin might fail him again.

Things get interesting if he can have success with the wrestling, but not holding out on that against a guy like Barcelos.

Is anyone confident Moicano doesn't get knocked out here?

Also, I'm slowly coming around to Avila possibly taking a fall here. She's weak in the clinch against girls willing to fight there, and I'm thinking Stoliarenko might be able to lay and pray or get a submission. Avila won't necessarily have a strength advantage in the clinch here. Avila is mainly a striker but she's going to have to fight to keep it standing or not have Stoliarenko body locking her the entire time. I was surprised at how easy of a fight Eubanks had against her and I'm thinking this one has the potential to go the same way. Stoliarenko looked like a scrub against Kunitskaya but Avila won't totally be the hammer in this one. Kunitskaya fought off a few good submission attempts and Avila barely escaped getting choked out to Eubanks imo.

Oh and I didn't forget those of you who made me second guess my read on O'Neill last weekend. Man that was easy money.

Is anyone confident Moicano doesn't get knocked out here?
Well, my logic is that Renato has only gotten stopped by extremely dangerous strikers like Fiziev (decorated MT guy), KZ and Aldo, don't think Herbert is that good even if he seemingly can crack.

Moicano also has some power of his own, and Jai's chin is suspect as well, so either could draw first blood early realistically. Of course Moicano could get a quick takedown and sub Herbert as well, but I think it might look like the Swanson fight - club & sub for Renato.

What dogs do you like(pretape)? I haven't done any taping yet either but some potential dogs that stick out to me are Dalby, Prazeres, Stoliarenko and maybe Nzechukwu.
Dogs I like pre tape are

Medieros
Herbert
Prazzeres
Dalby
St Preux

Well, my logic is that Renato has only gotten stopped by extremely dangerous strikers like Fiziev (decorated MT guy), KZ and Aldo, don't think Herbert is that good even if he seemingly can crack.

Moicano also has some power of his own, and Jai's chin is suspect as well, so either could draw first blood early realistically. Of course Moicano could get a quick takedown and sub Herbert as well, but I think it might look like the Swanson fight - club & sub for Renato.

Herbert got knocked out to Trinaldo because Trinaldo was in desperation mode. He got careless then got cracked. I'm always really leery of the fighter coming off a debut knockout loss when they have a decent amount of skill. Herbert isn't a total scrub and Moicano has a track record of getting knocked out against accurate strikers. Heavy hitters or not, they don't miss if given the opportunity and Herbert has shown he can line a few shots up down the pipe if you let him. I'm still not sold on Moicano as a LW either.

I hear your logic and it makes sense, I'm just hesitant to believe it if there's a track record to look after. It only takes one shot, and if given too many opportunities, someone who can be accurate will make you pay at some point. It's a mystery Moicano wasn't hurt at all against Kattar. But I'm not willing to put it past him at this point anymore.

Back