UFC Fight Night: Makhachev vs. Dos Anjos

Can someone explain the Murata/Markos line? Markos has been fighting the elite of the elite and has some good wins (Hill/Esparza). Murata has been scraping by her opponents. How is murata a 2-1 favorite?

As someone initially interested in betting on Markos (and who has successfully bet on her in the past), and realizes that Murata's line is fully justified, I'll answer this.

In short, Murata has an impressive array of takedowns, one of which Markos will succumb to. Markos is one of those weird fighters who has solid takedowns herself, but her own takedown defense is weaker than one would expect. Once down, Markos has some escapes, but no go-to, and often locks herself on the bottom with a closed triangle guard.

Meanwhile, Murata has just enough movement and defense to avoid giving Markos many opportunities in the striking. Cardio-wise, Murata can wrestle well for 3 full rounds while Markos will tire in round 3 fighting at anything more than a slow pace.

@mkess101

For a certain pick'em contest, I went ahead and chose Allen. This isn't based on any deep analysis, but merely skepticism about how well Strickland has recovered from the motorcycle accident, which traditionally screws up a fighter's knees, hips, and thus takedown defense and ability to get back up from the bottom. I'll always remember Frank Mir versus Marcio Cruz or Daniel Straus versus Derek Campos.

Good point, didn't really think about it since this isn't his first fight back. But you're right because it's the first fight where he's likely going to be having to defend a lot of TD attempts.

As someone initially interested in betting on Markos (and who has successfully bet on her in the past), and realizes that Murata's line is fully justified, I'll answer this.

In short, Murata has an impressive array of takedowns, one of which Markos will succumb to. Markos is one of those weird fighters who has solid takedowns herself, but her own takedown defense is weaker than one would expect. Once down, Markos has some escapes, but no go-to, and often locks herself on the bottom with a closed triangle guard.

Meanwhile, Murata has just enough movement and defense to avoid giving Markos many opportunities in the striking. Cardio-wise, Murata can wrestle well for 3 full rounds while Markos will tire in round 3 fighting at anything more than a slow pace.
Motorcycle accidents are brutal. My gfs dad got in one and his knee bent the other direction like a flamingo. That was like 15 months ago and the mf is still swollen.

Appreciate the logic, but the level of opposition they've faced is light years apart.

I don't know this guy but supposedly he's reputable, another fight is off:

Appreciate the logic, but the level of opposition they've faced is light years apart.
Murata did face the female goat Rin Nakai

rin.png

Felder did not look good AT ALL on the scales.

5 rounds on 5 days notice is a huge ask. Casually training for a triathlon 4 months away is nowhere even close to 5 round fight shape. I know he stays in decent shape all the time, but still.

RDA looked great. He should win this unless he is super washed. Felder has close fights when guys are forced into a war. RDA should be able to take him down whenever he needs to. Odds are pretty steep but I'll be surprised if he doesn't win.

Back