UFC Fight Night: Thompson Vs. Neal

How can you watch 20 of his fights and not see this? Again, not talking about his take down defence, I'm talking about him when he is on his back.
I was sure if you’d continue down this path you’d bring up Yan fight. I’m not sure if Aldo had a pre-existing injury in the Yan fight, but as soon as Yan hit him in the body he was hurt bad. I think Dan Hardy talked about this in his ”war room” episode about Aldo vs Vera. In the corner between the rounds it sounded like they knew what was up and what happened straight up. Who knows.

Again, the fact is that both Yan and Holloway just beat the fight out of him. They finished on the ground, but Aldo got beat the crap out of him standing. I’d say Aldo being badly hurt and the energy sapped from him... The gnp finishes are just that, finishes after the fight was already wrapped up standing.

I think I’ve made my point about this matter, so I’m not going to argue over it any more. We’ll see what happens tomorrow night!

Karl Roberson (-265) vs. Dalcha Lungiambula (+225): Roberson by TKO

Aside from power, I give Roberson the edge everywhere. He is the better overall striker with more tools, and he has the grappling edge as well. Lungiambula has the power to put anybody's lights out so I give him a puncher's chance, but I don't see him winning any other way.

Dalcha is a significantly better grappler Watch some EFC tape. Not to mention your talking about a guy who won his region at ADCC in 2016, and was a national team Judoka and olympic trialist.

Lungiambula is also the significantly more powerful striker.

Lungiambula knocked out Dequan Townsend in his UFC debut, the first time Townsend had been knocked out in his thirty fight career at the time.

Lungiambula had to fight Magomed Ankalaev in Moscow for his second UFC fight, and he knocked him down in the first round (even though he was not officially credited with it).

Roberson was fighting Roman Kopylov on that same card and if not for a late submission may have lost the fight as it was tied going into the third round.

Lungiambula has not fought for a while and his last fight was a loss so its natural for people to forget him, but to say he only has a punchers chance versus Roberson. Seriously?

Most of the predictions I have seen for this fight have been wiki-handicapping. Its a pickem fight that Lungiambula bettors are getting great value on.

Dalcha is a significantly better grappler Watch some EFC tape. Not to mention your talking about a guy who won his region at ADCC in 2016, and was a national team Judoka and olympic trialist.

Lungiambula is also the significantly more powerful striker.

Lungiambula knocked out Dequan Townsend in his UFC debut, the first time Townsend had been knocked out in his thirty fight career at the time.

Lungiambula had to fight Magomed Ankalaev in Moscow for his second UFC fight, and he knocked him down in the first round (even though he was not officially credited with it).

Roberson was fighting Roman Kopylov on that same card and if not for a late submission may have lost the fight as it was tied going into the third round.

Lungiambula has not fought for a while and his last fight was a loss so its natural for people to forget him, but to say he only has a punchers chance versus Roberson. Seriously?

Most of the predictions I have seen for this fight have been wiki-handicapping. Its a pickem fight that Lungiambula bettors are getting great value on.
Dalcha just stands around doing nothing until he eventually explodes with a wild flurry. Hes not going to win rounds that way so I would say a punches chance accurate. He will be getting picked apart in the standup. His judo is hit and miss and he bum rushes for his takedowns as well. He also struggles to hold anyone down if you watch his regional tape. I honestly belive Robertson might be better on the ground as well

I see a lot of people on Tybura here but I don't trust it. I remember last fight everyone was on Ben, saying Tybura doesn't like getting hit and Ben can knock him out if not just out-point him. Now that he won that fight, we're just trusting him against a more powerful striker? If Hardy doesn't spend the fight being scared of the TD he can make it a rough night for Tybura. Tybura can be easily cracked and I think Hardy's physically much stronger than his last 3 opponents. Remember like 10 months ago Tybura was on the cusp of being out of the UFC, and hasn't shown much since beyond the same wrestling pressure he's always done.
I dont think hardys a more powerful striker than Rothwell, if he is its only for about 3 minutes

I think it’s more of a question that who are the fighters that have dominated Aldo on the ground, ever. Who are those? He has fought some great wrestlers, some really tough grapplers (Edgar and Mendes a couple times each, you could say prime versions too). None of them could really even get Aldo to the mat and if they did Aldo pretty much sprang just right back up. They couldn’t do much to him on the ground.

In case you haven’t been watching Aldo for a long time, I’ll tell you what he’s known for. He’s known for his GOAT level takedown defense probably almost as much as his deadly muay thai skills. He has very strong hips, he’s very explosive and understands angles and timing very well, frames his opponent very well when they are trying to take him down.

On the ground we haven’t seen him that much, because of what I just wrote and he chooses to keep the fight standing. What we have seen and what we know is that Aldo is a legit BJJ black belt and his grappling makes his style work, makes him a complete, well rounded fighter.

I have a hard time seeing Vera getting Aldo down and keeping him there, inflicting damage on the ground. This is my opinion and how I see it based on the last 20 or so Aldo fights that I’ve watched.
Vera taking down Aldo repeatedly would be a bigger upset in itself than Tyson losing to Buster Douglas

• Washed Pettis is fade material 100%
  • Stephen styles on Neal on feet by controlling the range and sharp counterstriking
  • Michel Pereira grapplefucks William to an easy victory, oddmakers must be stat-capping this one, they nuts
glhf. 3 best bets of the card.

Karl Roberson fight is off

9Ci5XZv_d.webp

I don't really even look deep into the card or bet until Friday night or Saturday anymore. The card can change so much.

I never said anything about his take down defence, I know all about Aldo and all about his amazing takedown defence.

I said he may be a can off of his back, and said in the past five years.

The fact he has spent so little time over the years in the position probably means he doesn't spend much time training it, because the second Yan got on top Aldo looked panicked and almost got KO'ed everytime.

Yan ends up on top at the end of the first round, Aldo gets beat up and almost finished and is saved by the bell. Yan gets on top at the end of the 4th, the same again, and then at the end of the 5th, Yan again gets on top and beats the shit out of Aldo who just covers up and gets finished.

Finished by Holloway twice in a row, both times when Holloway gets on top and just easily rains down ground and pound, Aldo doesn't really show any defensive acumen. He just gets his legs thrown to the side and then he puts his hands up to his head as he gets pummelled.

How can you watch 20 of his fights and not see this? Again, not talking about his take down defence, I'm talking about him when he is on his back.

Again, him being a BJJ black belt means nothing, it's just words until you see it put to use. When has he shown the skills of a BJJ black belt in the past five years? He hasn't
You're judging Aldo's ground game off times he was completely gassed. The only time he wasn't gassed you listed was R1 with Yan where he got hurt to the body badly standing then shot a TD.

Aldo's ground game is absolutely fine, his TDD is elite and if anything if he decided to grapple hard here he'd dominate cause Vera would get takendown easily and spend 15 minutes chasing non-existent submissions off his back. He handled legit grapplers like KZ, Lamas and Faber on the mat.

Last edited:
<iframe width="610" height="343" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You sure about that, chief?

20 years ago is a different story chief

You're judging Aldo's ground game off times he was completely gassed. The only time he wasn't gassed you listed was R1 with Yan where he got hurt to the body badly standing then shot a TD.

Aldo's ground game is absolutely fine, his TDD is elite and if anything if he decided to grapple hard here he'd dominate cause Vera would get takendown easily and spend 15 minutes chasing non-existent submissions off his back. He handled legit grapplers like KZ, Lamas and Faber on the mat.

Literally have seen nothing of his ground game in 5 years other than him getting beat up badly there, no indication that it is at all elite at this point.

He handled legit grapples for a generation of fighters a go.

Him being gassed and getting beat up on the mat isn't a plus, it just means he got beat up on the mat and he also gassed...

Again, not saying anything about his TDD, his TDD is elite, or was, maybe it has slipped a little over time, but still excellent.

I'm saying on the mat, once he is there, how ever he ends up there, he has not looked confident or comfortable and has taken huge damage there without getting back to his feet or successfully defending himself

Back