UFC Fight Night - Waterson vs Rodriguez.. Maybe? Offical discussion

I played Hill @ +145.

I think she has the better striking, cardio, and TDD to keep Ribas off of her.

She might even finish her in the later rounds.

I like Ferreira as a dog here. Gregor isnt on Dariush level specially in the standup. He was biting on Lees feints all night and hes struggled with Jason Gonzalez in the past. Yeah that was years ago but Yancy is the only relevant fighter hes beaten besides Sidney Outlaw who arguably beat him and had him back mounted when he was saved by the bell. I think CDFs BJJ is gonna give him fits too and nothing from Gregor out of cage suggest to me hes pursuing MMA that seriously. Long periods of inactivity, always posting about fishing

I like Lins even odds against Ben too. Rothwell is absolutely shot from his power, to conditioning to overall skills. His formidable chin has started to crack some as well

I agree that Fereirra's BJJ is going to make this interesting, but how will Fereirra's cardio hold up when he's defending takedown after takedown?

Gregor is a beast, man. And the fact he has taken a full year off after the Lee KO alleviates some doubts I would've had about his chance, had he come back 4 months ago.

And his chin is cracked? Dude he ate a high kick that would've ko'd anyone that it hit @ LW. Kevin Lee in r1 is powerful.

This is the main event for me. I think it'll be Gregor's coming out party, but if you back CDF @ +170, I can't blame you.

I think Gregor is just the dark horse of LW and sharps have been all over him for a while. Same with Vetorri, sharp money came in on him heavily his last 4 fights, and now people finally know who he is.

I agree that Fereirra's BJJ is going to make this interesting, but how will Fereirra's cardio hold up when he's defending takedown after takedown?

Gregor is a beast, man. And the fact he has taken a full year off after the Lee KO alleviates some doubts I would've had about his chance, had he come back 4 months ago.

And his chin is cracked? Dude he ate a high kick that would've ko'd anyone that it hit @ LW. Kevin Lee in r1 is powerful.

This is the main event for me. I think it'll be Gregor's coming out party, but if you back CDF @ +170, I can't blame you.

I think Gregor is just the dark horse of LW and sharps have been all over him for a while. Same with Vetorri, sharp money came in on him heavily his last 4 fights, and now people finally know who he is.

I don't think he's gonna care if the fight gets taken down TBH. I see him being able to sweep, get away from Gregor's riding and top pressure, creating scrambles etc.

I used to be higher on Gregor than I am now. I don't like his age and question his commitment specially in a shark tank like LW. There aren't many wrestlers but his standup could just use a lot of work and I don't think he's a top transition fighter or the best at setting up TDs. His top game might be the best in the division with Khabib gone but I dunno I like Ferreira's pressure, strategy and gameplans since going to Fortis (Gregor should really go to Ray Longo IMO since he's from Long Island really should've been there from the start specially since Iaquinta has gone ghost).

I see him tagging Gregor with 1-2s standing, going to the body, throwing leg kicks and getting the better of the grappling. Gregor has some variety in his TDs but he still overwhelmingly goes for single leg variations and the odd trips to work his rides if he has a bodylock. CDF is very hard to get position on through single legs...

CDFGOAT+%281%29.gif

Chin starting to crack was about Ben Rothwell BTW not Gregor as I like Lins to win that one.

Damir Ismagulov is the dark horse IMO.

Last edited:
Prop

Gregor Gillespie "The Gift"
wins by decision
+100

this is going to be a profitable night for a lot of people.
Oh yes, you are exactly right. Let's all make some real cash and put away our toys.

Last edited:
I don't think he's gonna care if the fight gets taken down TBH. I see him being able to sweep, get away from Gregor's riding and top pressure, creating scrambles etc.

I used to be higher on Gregor than I am now. I don't like his age and question his commitment specially in a shark tank like LW. There aren't many wrestlers but his standup could just use a lot of work and I don't think he's a top transition fighter or the best at setting up TDs. His top game might be the best in the division with Khabib gone but I dunno I like Ferreira's pressure, strategy and gameplans since going to Fortis (Gregor should really go to Ray Longo IMO since he's from Long Island really should've been there from the start specially since Iaquinta has gone ghost).

I see him tagging Gregor with 1-2s standing, going to the body, throwing leg kicks and getting the better of the grappling. Gregor has some variety in his TDs but he still overwhelmingly goes for single leg variations and the odd trips to work his rides if he has a bodylock. CDF is very hard to get position on through single legs...

CDFGOAT+%281%29.gif

Chin starting to crack was about Ben Rothwell BTW not Gregor as I like Lins to win that one.

Damir Ismagulov is the dark horse IMO.

I like Diego as an underdog as well, but you scrutinize Gregor's age and not Diego's? The man is 36, two years older than Gregor.

38 year old Donald Cerrone has a new opponent for UFC on ESPN 24. With Diego Sanchez removed from the card and released from the UFC, Cerrone (36-15-1 MMA, 29-15-1 UFC) will now take on Alex Morono in a three-round welterweight bout Saturday at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas. Two people with knowledge of the matchup confirmed the booking to MMA Junkie on Monday but asked to remain anonymous as the promotion has yet to make an official announcement. Milenio was the first to report the news.
Cerrone, 38, won three straight fights from 2018-2019, but has since hit a difficult stretch. Winless in his most recent four outings, Cerrone most recently drew with Niko Price at UFC Fight Night 178 in September. The decision was later overturned to a no contest when Price tested positive for marijuana. Morono (18-7 MMA, 7-4 UFC) most recently competed in December when he lost to former UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis by unanimous decision. The loss came on the heels of a win by Morono one month prior, when he defeated former Cage Warriors champion Rhys McKee by unanimous decision.

Fight is at 170 pounds

From various websites:

Alex Morono is a surprisingly reasonable striker on his feet, likely owing to his long history as an amateur kick boxer. He moves well laterally, throws decent straight punches and can even reel off a few spinning back kicks to go with his more typical arsenal of leg kicks. He stays light on his feet and maintains range well, by not closing down distance as he throws. He does however have a bad habit of staying straight up and down and keeping his head online, while trying to counter, which can leave him open in extended exchanges. It's a better striking game in small bursts than it is in long standup battles and when he really tries to flurry he seems to overreach his feet a bit. He does some nice clinch work inside when he gets the chance, but can get muscled around there as well.

The big gap in Morono's game is his wrestling. Even just looking over his record, it's easy to see a guy who gets a lot of submissions working off his back. Arm bars, a triangle, a guillotine... Watching him fight, he's pretty much been taken down by every decent fighter that has worked to get him there, and while he has a very active guard, it's also not a terribly hard one to cut through, with many fighters able to immediately get side control and keep it. The biggest part of this is that he may just not be that great an athlete. He can get pushed around in the clinch, and seems to get slammed around a lot in the cage. His striking technique isn't bad, but against Araujo, he definitely seemed a step slower on delivery. That could be a big problem going forward in the UFC.

Morono is a jiu-jitsu black belt but doesn’t typically shoot take-downs. His takedown defense has not looked good in previous fights . Morono’s jiu-jitsu appears solid when he’s in a dominant position, but was rendered ineffective when forced to fight off his back against Canadian veteran, Jordan Mein.

Number of submission wins on his record, but he primarily likes to strike. Although a well-rounded fighter, his primary weaknesses are his counter-wrestling and cardio.

In terms of boxing, Morono is more a brawler. The American throws big looping shots in the pocket and is looking to end the fight with one punch. Throwing heat comes at a cost and we’ve seen Morono slow down late in fights. Coming from a Taekwondo background, Morono has some nice kicks in his arsenal and may look to attack the lead leg. Morono is still an effective striker. He was out-landing Niko Price for two rounds before getting careless.

Last edited:
Morono a big step down from any of Cerrone's opponents. Cerrone is probably better everywhere even at this age. People say he's washed but he held his own against a true welterweight in Niko Price. Morono isn't a particularly big WW and not particularly good at anything.

Morono was so underwhelming when I pick him vs lowly pettis, I can't with him here. Wonder what the odds are going to be.

I wouldn't mind if this was the main event instead:

There's many fights on the card better than what they're proposing as the new main

TBH I like their idea though, just means I can turn it off sooner to go do something else...

Shout out to @Card, dude always shows up with nothing but great info. I'm sure whatever the UFC sets as the main event it will be a banger, all these cards lately have been great in my eyes production work and all. Honestly those new Venum fight kits are growing on me, that is some stylish gear.
I might have to pick one up soon myself.

Last edited:
Yup we still dont know if this fight card might even happen at all. Hopefully it does.

Probably in the wrong forum here but I couldn't help myself. Feel free to call me an anime weeb fan boy but I had to pick up a pair of those sweet training gloves. Great discounts on some of that Venum stuff right now if any of you fellows like that kinda stuff. Couldn't pass these bad boys up.Screenshot_2021-05-03-23-27-01.png

Back