UFC Fox 23 - Pena vs Shevchenko - Denver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I don't know if I can bet against Cowboy, but Mas stylistically can certainly give Cowboy problems. I think Mas has more speed and crisper boxing than Brown, and Matt was landing on Cowboy. Cowboy **could** hit TD's but Mas has solid TDD. Both guys extremely durable but the o2.5 is too juiced.

Just not sure on this one...

I'm on mas

I think they will stand toe to toe and I favor his boxing by a significant margin

I think think either guy will out wrestle the other

Mas stands rather upright and defends attacks by moving his feet, rarely dips his head or at his waist which I feel other fighters have been ko by the cerrone high kicks because of this.

Should be a fun fight

Di chirico cardio was good against bojan but terrible with mclellan. If it was due to more scrambling then having to constantly stuff spice td attempts could see him gas again. Bojan nearly sub'd him chirico prob saved by the bell. Spice loves taking the back. Chirico holds the whizzer well so spice will have to try and lose that to be able to take his back.

hold up, cerrone's 4 fights at 170 are not bums, four solid opponents, in fact. he's been more impressive in his four fights at 170 than masvidal has been in his 3 fights there.. pearson's fought at 145 and should never have been 170..

I didnt say bums. I think mas beats them all handily too tho. Its not like hes been fighting top tier guys. Dont get me wrong he looked great up until the brown fight but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Hes been out boxed by many a fighter with no where near as good a boxing as mas but his ground game or headkick has saved him. Ground games a wash here and i think mas will pressure to nullify that headkick.

Plus larkin trumps anyone cowboy has fought at 170. Yeah he lost but it was damn close

man pena is such an angry girl. it worries me in many ways. including in this fight.

I think she's a bit crazy out of the ring but I don't think she lets her anger get the better of her in fights. her fight IQ is decent. she knows her strengths and is very effective at utilising them, plus she's very strong, very tough.

what worries me more is her knee, that thing had a horrific injury and from what tape I've watched so far she doesn't use kicks or single/double legs at all, the majority of her takedowns are from that nice trip she has in the clinch or other clinch takedowns, which makes me think she doesn't like to put too much pressure on her knee? could be off about that one, I was high when watching tape lol. but it made me think if valentina stays on the outside and chops away with leg kicks it could really hinder pena's gameplan, would be hard to do I'm assuming pena is taller and bigger reach. haven't watched any tape on shev yet though so just a thought atm.

She kind of remind me of Tony Ferguson in that regard.

thought the same for ages haha, they speak the same, same attitude etc, they remind me of long lost twins for some reason!

A lot of old dogs betting Pena here but this case I will go with my instinct.
Val didn't show her potential yet , and she's the most skilled striker in whole wmma. Let's be honest here , Penas striking technique compare to that is an amateur one. I see here gassed Venezuelan unable to make this fight on a ground.

Watching tape on Nash (above tape) and Li last few fights, its a tricky fight for both really.

Li the better fighter overall, has the better striking and better wins, while Nash the better wrestler.

I could make equal cases for Lis average take down defence and Nashs average wrestling here but given Nashes past opponents found success with getting back up or reversing here, Li should be able to do the same and get to better positions here, Lis striking and heavy gnp should also count here overall.

Li straight up.

Last edited:
Kinda annoying to see Spicelys name up there again. Dont need to be reminded of the Santos fiasco again.

Never seen a guy so desperate to avoid pain to jump into that rear naked choke ;)

A lot of old dogs betting Pena here but this case I will go with my instinct.
Val didn't show her potential yet , and she's the most skilled striker in whole wmma. Let's be honest here , Penas striking technique compare to that is an amateur one. I see here gassed Venezuelan unable to make this fight on a ground.

I was initially thinking pena would take this but im a little paranoid at pena's parallels with ronda

both have very limited striking with decent power and aggression, both girls entire style revolves heavily around getting to the clinch for throws, brilliant (but different) ground games, both are a couple of fries short of a happy meal, both have an awkward relationship with the media.
at least we know pena has a fighters mentality lol.

I havent watched tape but fade the one dimensional fighters. First ronda, next could be pena by the way everyone is ripping her striking and after that its time for kebab to fall

Re: Aljamain Sterling conversation

Sherdog, what up?!

It's been a while since I've come to post a thread. I have a few questions, if you don't mind leaving your thoughts below.

Good/healthy places to eat in Denver, Colorado?

Where can I rent a car for a good/cheap rate? (I don't need anything fancy at all)

Any recommended "sports" massage therapists around that I can go see?

Are there any cool landmarks to go explore on my down time from training in Denver?

Where do you guys see my fight against Assuncao mostly taking place? (clinch, ground, standing)

What holes do you see in Assuncao's game that I can exploit? (Really curious to hear what others see)

And lastly, I hope you guys are checking out my "Feeding The Streets" Vlog series!! They're on my website AljamainSterling.com and also on FloCombat.

I'm very excited for this match-up against Assuncao, and I can't wait until I get to battle another high level opponent!

He's got no holes per say you just gotta go out there and mix it up better than he does. He's a technical guy in all aspects but he's got no dynamic ability which is where you shine.

You gotta get some respect with your hands too and not just your kicks cuz he's pretty comfortable in the range and also countering when people come in aggressive. He pivots well and has good TDD but you on paper IMO should have the better wrestling ability and he's going to have to show respect to that but if you make him respect your hands foremost I think the rest of your game will flow and you will be able to out funk him.

I see this fight standing/grappling its up to you to put him on his ass or at least keep him honest that way you could outstrike him in that scenario.

To be honest I hope you been working on your hands you could've imposed your will if you brought them out against Caraway.

This cat doesn't make a lot of mistakes but you gotta force some if you mix it up better. Good luck G.

This was actually very spot on. He's very technical in that he doesn't make mistakes, so I will have to force him into scrambles, get him to over commit on punches and kicks, and to shoot for TD's out of range, and I'll be able to create the openings. The sad truth is I never feel the need to box, because my kicks have always been effective in setting up my TD's. I can actually box when I want to, but I don't. We get some pretty good boxing, and kickboxing battles in at the gym, but I always take the "easier" route in the fight. This one won't be easy, and I'm prepared for that. If my kicks don't work, we're mentally prepared to switch gears and put some paws on him, clinch, and out scramble to get the W.
I should've cudda, wudda had a dominate win over BC if I wasn't so hell bent on proving I was the better grappler. Lessons learned. Don't do 2 a days all fight week, and don't do 3 workouts the day of the fight. Sad truth.

Didn't like what he said TBH. Why doesn't he want to work on his hands? He got out boxed by Caraway and as a result he even got out grappled at points because of it. Sounds like arrogance to me. He's young tho and very athletically gifted and super strong so he's got a good ceiling.

On the other hand, Assuncao is getting up there in age and he hasn't been active having only fought once since 2014. He lost to TJ in his last fight and he's got to wonder where he goes from here. He's solid like a rock but I don't see him getting any better than he is currently.

At this point I wanna lean on Assuncao judging by their last respective fights.

This is why I love this forum, makes me think outside of the box and learn stuff about other fighters. I did not know Mas trained with Ceronne and was training at altitude already plus rewatching some of his fights I think he has the crisper boxing. This will be a stand up war and with the new rules Mas may be the bet now. I was originally on Ceronne (bovada has yet to release lines so no bets) but I think i will be on Mas if he is at +150 or better.

I am still on Schvenko tho!

Re: Aljamain Sterling conversation

Didn't like what he said TBH. Why doesn't he want to work on his hands? He got out boxed by Caraway and as a result he even got out grappled at points because of it. Sounds like arrogance to me. He's young tho and very athletically gifted and super strong so he's got a good ceiling.

On the other hand, Assuncao is getting up there in age and he hasn't been active having only fought once since 2014. He lost to TJ in his last fight and he's got to wonder where he goes from here. He's solid like a rock but I don't see him getting any better than he is currently.

At this point I wanna lean on Assuncao judging by their last respective fights.

Bs response. Hes got no hands. He doesnt like being hit he responds when under fire by shooting...normally badly. His standup is terrible but hes a demon on top. Need to watch raphael tape.

^^ its just natural to want to stick with what is comfortable. However, this is MMA and the fighters that really excel are those that learn to diversify their skills. You can't just be a BJJ guy or just be a wrestler anymore.

Some people get away with it but for the most part fighters that stay in their one path without branching out create a ceiling for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back