UFN 103: Rodriguez vs. Penn - Phoenix

Status
Not open for further replies.
My prediction is BJ makes it fun for 1 round by sprawl and brawl. Once the fight settles down and they both get a little tired Yair gonne piece him up on the feet.

I have never really been impressed by Penn. Yeah I know he is a legend but I have always just felt meh about him. He honestly doesn't seem like that great of an athete just crazy Hawaiian heart.

He was a freak grappler when he came up. Won the Mundials after relatively little training compared to others.

In his prime he was a beast at LW but fought openweight fights and stuff which cut out a lot of his prime years.

The guy can make FW for crying out loud and fought and went the distance with Machida at LHW!

My prediction is BJ makes it fun for 1 round by sprawl and brawl. Once the fight settles down and they both get a little tired Yair gonne piece him up on the feet.

I have never really been impressed by Penn. Yeah I know he is a legend but I have always just felt meh about him. He honestly doesn't seem like that great of an athete just crazy Hawaiian heart.

Hes a sick athlete dude i remember his vertical jump out of a swimming pool. sick

I'm with Officer_Brown here. Do not underestimate Penn's grappling even after all of these years. He is finally getting a somewhat favorable matchup and not facing a guy way at the top. Takedowns + back take could net a sub or definitely win rounds. I just question if he can go five comfortably.

I'm with Officer_Brown here. Do not underestimate Penn's grappling even after all of these years. He is finally getting a somewhat favorable matchup and not facing a guy way at the top. Takedowns + back take could net a sub or definitely win rounds. I just question if he can go five comfortably.

I think the grappling is still there for BJ, I don't however think the ability to get the fight to the mat is. He was never great with TD's (he was okay but it really wasn't a strong point). And now he's older, hasn't fought since he got embarrassed vs Frankie which was 2+ years ago iirc, and is fighting a guy who's younger and far more athletic at this point.

I think a flyer on BJ sub isn't a bad bet as a hedge if anyone is betting Yair (or honestly if you want something small on the fight just for fun). It's certainly BJ's best path to victory. I just don't see a real good chance of it happening.

I think the grappling is still there for BJ, I don't however think the ability to get the fight to the mat is. He was never great with TD's (he was okay but it really wasn't a strong point). And now he's older, hasn't fought since he got embarrassed vs Frankie which was 2+ years ago iirc, and is fighting a guy who's younger and far more athletic at this point.

I think a flyer on BJ sub isn't a bad bet as a hedge if anyone is betting Yair (or honestly if you want something small on the fight just for fun). It's certainly BJ's best path to victory. I just don't see a real good chance of it happening.

Look at BJ's competition on who he would have to try to takedown. I mean he did it vs. Fitch and Diaz early. Since then it was Rory and Edgar. Good luck taking them down.

Look at BJ's competition on who he would have to try to takedown. I mean he did it vs. Fitch and Diaz early. Since then it was Rory and Edgar. Good luck taking them down.

Agree but age, wear, cage rust, etc. have to be taken into account too. Diaz has zero TDD. He welcomes people taking him down and playing in his guard. Fitch is a good offensive wrestler but not great TDD.
I think youth, athleticism, etc. probably allow Yair to keep it standing. If not he could be in big trouble though.

Yair is pretty wild and welcomes the ground game too though. I think the biggest thing is the age and wear is not good at all for a 5 rounder. If he doesn't finish Yair, then he's in trouble. I probably wouldn't play BJ unless he's steep odds mainly due to that. But man, his top game and back game are very solid.

Yair is pretty wild and welcomes the ground game too though. I think the biggest thing is the age and wear is not good at all for a 5 rounder. If he doesn't finish Yair, then he's in trouble. I probably wouldn't play BJ unless he's steep odds mainly due to that. But man, his top game and back game are very solid.

I honestly think given BJ's last fight, Yair will be completely unplayable. Not just that BJ lost to Edgar (no shame in that) but that he did that weird tippy toes thing and literally did not have even one good moment in that fight until he was stopped.

I will possibly play Yair KO if it's a decent enough line (gives him 25 minutes to finish) and look at BJ sub. I think anything else is probably gonna be pointless.

It clicked in my head that Penn and Yair are both Jackson Wink fighters. Penn left from jacksons?

Boooo Formiga vs Pettis was an awesome fight. Oh well, at least the lean is strong for Pettis vs Moraga

UFC Fight Night 103: Rodriguez vs. Penn
JANUARY 15, 2017
Talking Stick Resort Arena | Phoenix, Arizona

Fight Card

B.J. Penn +265
Yair Rodriguez -385

Over 2.5 -165
Under 2.5 +125

Marcin Held +120
Joe Lauzon -160

Over 2.5 -185
Under 2.5 +145

Bryan Caraway +225
Jimmie Rivera -305

Over 2.5 -185
Under 2.5 +145

John Moraga +140
Sergio Pettis -180

Over 2.5 -190
Under 2.5 +150

——————————————————

Joe Lauzon -110 right now. Probably gonna hit that.

Lol @ how juiced Rivera is

Jesus. Caraway is the least respected guy on the roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back