UFN 110 - Lewis vs Hunt - New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I broke down a few fights and the main event

HW: Derrick Lewis vs. Mark Hunt

Holy smokes what a fight! These are two leviathans paired up to do work down under this weekend and it should end in someone needing smelling salts. Hunt and Lewis are the type of genetic anomalies that if found today in the La Brea Tar Pits would not be out of place.

Lewis is a gigantic human being that can do all sorts of damage with his heavy hands. One of the few heavyweights on the roster who literally needs to diet in order to make the 265 pound limit, Lewis is an absolute monster of a man that loves brawl. The thing is, he doesn't come from any traditional martial arts background and at 31-years-old is still basically learning on the job.

Physically big, TBB is insanely powerful, but not a very athletic heavyweight and his technique leaves a lot to be desired. He also lacks the type of speed that normally is reserved for top five ranked heavies. Especially his rote striking.

Nevertheless, he gets away with fundamental shortcomings through mediocre opposition and sheer fire power. Much of his success comes from opponents who haven't the foggiest idea of how to angle from off the cage once trapped by the big behemoth. As such, when he is able to put his man's back against the cage he will unload with a steady barrage of bunker busting bombs that have his opponents drowning under the deluge. Additionally, Lewis has the ability to drop his man with a mere grazing blow.

The grappling from the "Beast" is pedestrian at best from both a offense and defense stand point. His wrestling is mediocre and void of any real technique. He rjust simply powers his man to the mat and if grounded himself just gets back to the feet. Doing so without under hooks most often. Ostensibly it's the, "I'm tired of being on my back and it's time to get up" technique.

Mark Hunt is far more technical and has all of the requisite skill sets and problems to create misery for Lewis. In reality this should be a squash match. Hunt has a cavernous deep striking tool set with over two decades of the absolute highest level of experience. Having hoisted trophies in the most prestigious kickboxing organizations in the world — including the fabled K1 Grand Prix — in the late 90s Hunt is as decorated a striker as you get in MMA today. The Samoan throws myriad shots and doesn't discriminate between the head or the body. Specifically his low leg kicks are like tree trunks being swung by Paul Bunyan at his opponents person. His leg-kicks can wreck the lower extremities and change the entire complexion of the fight. Hunt also throws a fantastic rear leg kick that smashes into the midsection like a runaway beer truck. He's a dangerous man.

That said he's on a bit of a down slope. At age 43 this is to be expected. Nevertheless even his recent setbacks to elite opponents were competitive throughout. This even up until the moment he was finished. Namely he was in lockstep with Reem until the knees slowed him to a trickle and ultimately starched him.

The speed has declined and his shots are increasingly more able to get a bead on. He is also in a bad place with his employer which is never good. Still yet, he is capable of competing at a very high-level against the top level and can pull off wins against many of them. This is a fight that will tell us much about where Hunt is at and Lewis can be.

Stylistically, I believe Hunt benefits substantially from this matchup. Striking wise Lewis is completely out of his depth. If Hunt fights smart this is his fight to lose. Travis Browne was able to fold "The Black Beast" over like cheap luggage numerous times with kicks to the body. Incidentally, one of Hunt's best weapons is throwing this exact technique — except with a ton more steam behind it.

Lewis must have sewn up this canyon sized hole in his game or Hunt is going to exploits.

If Hunt remains poised and technical, using his fundamentally sound kickboxing, he should be able to box circles around an infinitely lower quality striker. However, if he hasn't taken those fight seriously as some of intimated, he is going to be on the wrong end of a Black Beast one man bomb squad.

One more time for the hometown crowd. Hunt reverse engineers the Travis Browne game plan and deploys his roundhouse kick's to the chassis of the Black Beast for TKO win.

Prediction: Hunt by TKO / Over 1.5 / TBB round 3 and 4

WW: Kiichi Kunimoto vs. Zak Ottow

Break out the popcorn! Then set it aside for the main event because you won't be needing it here. Indeed, this fight has the potential to be ass dull as dish water. In fact, if that is as bad as it gets I'll be modestly happy.

Kunimoto had a 3-fight win streak at one time in the UFC as implausible as it is. That said, it was one of the most ridiculous streaks in recent memory. A victory via DQ over Luis Dutra Junior for 12/6 elbows, a submission over the ghost of Daniel Sarafian and a "W" over a faded Richard Walsh Who was running on fumes for almost killing Kunimoto in the first round.

A strapping 170 pounder that likes to put his opponent on their back and work them over from top position, Kunimoto is powerful enough to do just that to a lot of fighters. His physicality is his best asset and if he can get his grappling going he is a tank. However he is a slow footed striker and gets hit far too often. The biggest problem from Kunimoto is that he fights like he doesn't want to be there. Too often you will find him on his back foot and ready to pack things up. Ironically, he is a consistently durable fighter. You just get the implication that sometimes he'd rather be at a Nickelback concert than in the cage.

Ottow is former college football player, and for anyone who knows the sport there is no shock that he is built like the linebacker he played. The former gridiron star turned professional mixed martial artist is himself a bit of a plodding fighter who uses his gorilla strong strength as his foremost staple. Ottow has alternated between 155 and 170 pounds but don't expect him to be overwhelmed physically.

This tilt goes the distance most likely, and it is the American who will win this contest with his superior conditioning and more technical striking..

Prediction: Ottow UD

WW: Luke Jumeau vs. Dominique Steele

In Jumeau you have a super confident young man with some good physical tools. Historically, his biggest weakness has been a propensity to start slow. Just two years ago in the first round, against the mediocre 1-4 Mohammad Mansouri, we had "The Jedi" having a clinic being ran on him before coming back to get the second to scoring knocked out. Once again, in his tilt with Vik Grujic, the 40-year-old UFC veteran was mauling him in the opening stanza prior to succumbing to a mysterious knock out early in round two. Disconcerting if you are a Jumeau bettor, as he is going to get ran over and finished if he comes out flat this weekend.

Jumeau does possess some serious pop in his punches. However his biggest problem is going to be staying on the feet to land them. His takedown defense can't even be classified as serviceable. He has been taken down by almost every fighter he's faced on the regional circuit. What's more, he continuously finds himself a hairs breadth away from being submitted. In fact, he actually has been submitted by UFC fighters Jake Matthews and Li.Jiliang respectively.

Steele is an absolute specimen of a man. A power house wrestle-boxer with dynamite in his hands. The biggest issue with Dom has been his propensity to need a moment to get acclimated to the fight. This liability has been severely detrimental to him. First of all, it puts him behind on score cards early, and second, it leaves him ripe to be caught cold and knocked out. Both have happened. Nevertheless, all of the physical attribute are there and he appears to have turned the corner.

To be honest I don't understand the odds at all. Even at -170 I believe that Dominic still is an excellent bet straight up or as a strong piece to a parlay. Jumeau is a strong fighter himself but he's just outclassed here. Steele has several flaws but Jumeau isn't the man to exploit them.

Prediction: Steele x rear naked choke

I assume patrick stumberg is to blame but ottow as far as i am aware has never fought at 155. Hes a big ww cant see how he could make 155

I'm definitely in for a bad night if Steele and/or Cutelaba lose. I'm also in the minority of people who got Hooker at -110, so gonna be rooting against most tonight.

Also rooting for @MMA Goodfella to be spot on since I have Hunt R3 and Steele SUB in a lotto along with my straight plays.

I assume patrick stumberg is to blame but ottow as far as i am aware has never fought at 155. Hes a big ww cant see how he could make 155

Yeah, from every source I can find he's never fought at 155.

Aldrich NSC - think I moved the line to -140. She's tough as nails. Her opponent missed weight and this is strawweight so I'm expecting a push but there's value here imo.

this could hit. v good bet. i think jeon looks open to getting subbed. also she hasn't faced any adversity yet. short notice. its gonna be her hardest fight by far. 5u aldrich here now. def safe. i dont see jeon finishing

Last edited:
aldrich inside the distance is 4.58 great price!

i'm gonna tail zee and min bet hooker. although it wasn't one of my targeted fights and i haven't looked into it i think he's right on this. hookers the side here now
You should be looking into it if you want to bet the fight, my 2 cents. You will benefit yourself greatly going forward if you do your homework and make the read yourself.

I have seen a lot guys come in here lately and say what are the experts picks this event? Who are the locks this card guys? These people are just looking to tail people and they don't do themselves any justice by looking into the fights themselves and doing their own homework.

You should be looking into it if you want to bet the fight, my 2 cents. You will benefit yourself greatly going forward if you do your homework and make the read yourself.

I have seen a lot guys come in here lately and say what are the experts picks this event? Who are the locks this card guys? These people are just looking to tail people and they don't do themselves any justice by looking into the fights themselves and doing their own homework.
it wasn't a fight i thought i would end up big on so i skipped it. i dont think i would have ended up with a super confidant read. the kinda fight that i guessed would take a lot of work for small return. i need action every fight so i stick 0.2u down on the side i think is right if i'm not convinced there's value. his preview vid was similar to how i think the fight goes. without watching tape.

Last edited:

tout war. zee called out fury for poor staking strategy. only ever betting 4u

tout war. zee called out fury for poor staking strategy. only ever betting 4u

lmfaoooo

Quick someone with twitter keep this going. Give Zee ammunition, let him know Luca is so insecure he had a Sherdog account banned for making fun of how ugly he is

Decided to hop in on that Twitter war, haha. Maybe people will realize they both suck, but in different ways

I might have to put money on Dan because I know he will work his ass for that win and the crowd will be roaring for him.

I think you overestimate how much New Zealanders like Australians. Some will cheer him because of ANZAC, many (myself included) will boo the fuck out of that underarm bowling Pharlap stealing motherfucker

Don't think I've seen Volkanovski fight but just blindly bet 1U on Hirota on Marathonbet @ +570.

Hirota isn't great but he's proven himself UFC competition level in getting a few wins and dominating Cole Miller last fight.

Hate blind betting underdogs but at those odds I'll bet almost any MMA fight that's not involving a top 10 fighter. Look at it this way, Chad Mendes closed at those odds vs Cody McKenzie.

How's Volks TDD and game off his back? Hopefully Hirota can get some takedowns and steal rounds on top.

If Chan and JJ are tied at 1-1 going into the 3rd----JJ will blow past this 8 day notice/weight missing/can fighting Chan with ease for a 10-8 or a late stoppage.
Chan in her 2nd last fight in the 3rd round vs some no talent scarecrow with no pace and no standup Chan looked like she was throwing in slow motion in a fight with no pace to tire her out in the 1st place and all this in front of a little more than 100 people maybe.
29-27 30-27 29-27 JJ at worst.

Last edited:
Playing it 'safe' this event, 3u double on Ottow and Steele, then 1u on Ross Pearson. If the double hits i'll be putting winnings on Hunt because I think he wins this fight easy.

Don't think I've seen Volkanovski fight but just blindly bet 1U on Hirota on Marathonbet @ +570.

Hirota isn't great but he's proven himself UFC competition level in getting a few wins and dominating Cole Miller last fight.

Hate blind betting underdogs but at those odds I'll bet almost any MMA fight that's not involving a top 10 fighter. Look at it this way, Chad Mendes closed at those odds vs Cody McKenzie.

How's Volks TDD and game off his back? Hopefully Hirota can get some takedowns and steal rounds on top.

Kasuya took him down but volk showed solid bottom game reversed quickly

Playing it 'safe' this event, 3u double on Ottow and Steele, then 1u on Ross Pearson. If the double hits i'll be putting winnings on Hunt because I think he wins this fight easy.
don't think Ottow is as safe as everyone else does, went to a spilt with Burkman, takes this fight on 3 weeks short notice and has a significant wrist injury. He's actually missing a ligament in his wrist, admits it's affecting his grip strength. I don't like all that for -300

Still think he wins though

If Chan and JJ are tied at 1-1 going into the 3rd----JJ will blow past this 8 day notice/weight missing/can fighting Chan with ease for a 10-8 or a late stoppage.
Chan in her last fight in the 3rd round vs some no talent scarecrow with no pace and no standup Chan looked like she was throwing in slow motion in a fight with no pace to tire her out in the 1st place and all this in front of a little more than 100 people maybe.
29-27 30-27 29-27 JJ at worst.
that was her 2nd fight that night i think. she had beaten someone earlier

don't think Ottow is as safe as everyone else does, went to a spilt with Burkman, takes this fight on 3 weeks short notice and has a significant wrist injury. He's actually missing a ligament in his wrist, admits it's affecting his grip strength. I don't like all that for -300

Still think he wins though
he had it worse in the morales fight. said it didn't effect him there . thought he said the time off had fixed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back