UFN 113 - Ponzinibbio vs Nelson - Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 month old interview

Hope to be on the Glasgow card, want fight against Marlon Vera or Henry Briones, I study alot of guys, I'm not scared of anybody in the top 10, I'll say yes to any fighter they pick, I just want to be a pioneer for Wales

2 month old interview

Hope to be on the Glasgow card, want fight against Marlon Vera or Henry Briones, I study alot of guys, I'm not scared of anybody in the top 10, I'll say yes to any fighter they pick, I just want to be a pioneer for Wales

Weakest call-outs i've ever seen/ heard/ read.

Doesn't like Hispanic dudes or what?

Short notice:
- James Mulheron (in for Mark Godbeer) vs. Justin Willis (7 weeks)
- Albert Morales (in for Mitch Gagnon) vs. Brett Johns (1 week)
- Amanda Lemos (in for Lina Länsberg) vs. Leslie Smith (2 weeks)

Late Addition to the card:
- Daniel Teymur vs Danny Henry (1 week)

From another sherdog thread:
"Yeah Daniel is the knockout artist of the two. Prefers short range where David prefers the long range. He's really a bantam or featherweight but has been fighting mostly at lightweight because they couldn't find guys in MMA that were willing to step into the cage with him in his weight class."

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/ne...to-make-his-ufc-debut-at-glasgow-fight-night/

Edinburgh fighter Danny Henry will make his UFC debut, joining fellow Scots Joanne Calderwood, Stevie Ray and Paul Craig on the July 16 fight night.

To join the UFC, Danny Henry vacated the featherweight title of Extreme Fight Championship, South Africa’s biggest MMA promotion.

He fights out of Higher Level Martial Arts in Whitburn, West Lothian.

The fight will take place at lightweight, around 10 pounds heavier than Henry’s usual weight class, likely because the bout is on such short notice.

For anyone that can translate - subli, ivanilich?

For anyone that can translate - subli, ivanilich?

"This is my first main event , it's against a very versatile athlete , he has great jiu jitsu and he is good at trading punches. I'm going to give my all, all my heart. I'm very confident that I can win this fight, I'm am more than ready to win against any athelete in the division"

James Mulheron

Interviews here:
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/james-mulheron-signs-ufc-warns-13116667

Fighter video tape:

Older Wilson break down here:
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/u...damie-brooklyn.3451299/page-22#post-127075693
(to note its a different camp/team of AKA, not the cain/dc AKA wilson trains out of)

In a nutshell, 2 hws slugging it out till one gasses, I think Wilson r1 via wrestling and gnp, otherwise James via cardio but both are ufc debuters and unknowns.

No homo, there are a bunch of lads who live together
hey just curious, not hating...why did you feel that it was important to include "no homo" when acknowledging that people often have roommates to save money? You really that insecure?

Training, fighting in my hometown, it's a grappler vs striker, as long as I can bring him into my world, but my stand up is just as good, I can mop the floor with him, will finish the first round, he doesn't have the gas tank to keep up with me, will take him down, took me a month to get over the loss, I wasn't eating enough carbs, there's not alot of big guys here, so that's why I went to AllStars (from the above interview - he went for a week)

- At the end he says he's fighting Tyson Pedro and then corrects himself

I'm not the world's greatest fight capper, but I am gonna be on the Anik Florian podcast later today making picks for this card on the main event challenge so make sure to listen and then tell me how big of a moron you think I am...peace!

Ray talking about how bad the timezone change will be for fighters.

Lauzon told me he was planning to take me down from my kicks and it happened, happy to get a win from a mistake, we both like to stand and bang, we both brawl, he's similar to alot of guys, like a thai boxer, we'll be ready for it, 3rd camp at home in Scotland, it's working so why change it, I do miss TriStar, flying here is crap, easy going there, but coming here, you need to stay awake for 30 hours, to get into our timezone, going there you can force youself to stay awake, but coming here, it's tough to force youself to go to sleep, weight is good, training is good, I'm well rounded, looking to hurt each other, preparing for a slug fest, 1 round each, grind it, both so tired, who wants it more, I will, I thought the same in the Mafra fight and I KO'ed him in the first round

Training at my home gym, movement boxing, found out 3-4 days before they announced it (so 1.5 week notice), always stay ready, I really believe I'm a top guy in the UFC, train at 3 gyms, Blackhouse MMA and Carlson Gracie, added strength and conditioning as well (fast twitch), athleticism has gone up and my recovery, my coach predicted we would get a short notice fight, so weight is good, I see alot of holes in his game, I'm a vet, I will find my shots, I'm hooked on Ghost Recon wildlands (only play for an hour or two), all I think of is fighting, I train with Ferguson, RDA

hey just curious, not hating...why did you feel that it was important to include "no homo" when acknowledging that people often have roommates to save money? You really that insecure?

No offense meant buddy. Maybe just a Welsh/UK thing... a load of wrestlers and hairdressers in a house sounded a bit Zoolander-ish so I thought id clarify.

That, and of course im still in the closet :)

Paul Craig is listed at 6'4 and Rountree is listed as 5'10. 6" height advantage but Khalil has the reach. Paul is that tall?

Paul Craig is listed at 6'4 and Rountree is listed as 5'10. 6" height advantage but Khalil has the reach. Paul is that tall?

Yeah Craig is very lanky. In my opinion this benefits his submission game but also makes me more hittable on the feet.

i believe he's 6'3 or 6'4 yes, but i think khalil is taller than 5'10, too. in fact i'm positive that he is. i think he's 6'1 or something

As soon as my elbow healed I wanted to be on the Scotland card, I asked for it, I wanted to stay longer after the fight, but I got a new puppy so I have to come back, I rushed my last fight, I stopped for five seconds and Gerald got my arm, fight is similar to my first fight I was supposed to get Adam Hunter, striker vs grappler, my striking is good, my chin is good, I'll push him, my weight cut is always easy, have such a great team at Zuma Martial Arts, Sarah will be in my corner

It's been a long camp, (since Entwistle pulled out), I haven't stopped training, 6 month camp, we've completely over-trained, Gagnon is short, Morales is tall, more of a striker, so we've had to change things up, it's been a tough difficult camp, I'm on weight, my abs are back, it's not going the distance

So I know this will sound like the old "I met BJ Penn at the airport" type stories, but here we go anyway.... My barber lives with Brett Johns.
No homo, there are a bunch of lads who live together who all train at Chris Rees Academy and it sounds like almost a permanent TUF house, all eating and breathing MMA 24/7 (with some part-time haircutting inbetween)
He was telling me how Brett has stepped his game up immensely, thinks he can beat the UFC most takedowns record once again in this fight with Morales! After his last fight was cancelled when Entwhistle retired on the scales, he has been chomping at the bit and is the most focused he has ever been. So it seems as if Brett will be looking to implement a wrestling based strategy.
I originally thought Brett matched up well with Morales and would be able to control him for a decision in anycase, but just thought id share this additional "inside info" from an admittedly biased source

Well if you want additional biased inside info, Morales grew up with some of my friends and came to a party at my place a few months ago. I talked to him for a while that night, he feels extremely confident and wants to work his way back to avenge his loss to Almeida. He says he only wants top level fights. It also felt like he nearly broke my wrist when he shook my hand before he left, and he's a BW and I'm about 200 lbs.

Looking at the fights alone though, I think he has a great skillset that he's finally starting to put all together. He started out with some extremely tough matchups, and managed to pick up a win last time. I think he's mentally in a great place for this right now and is making the right adjustments from starting as mostly a bomb-throwing boxer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back