UFN 158 PBP/Discussion

As a MMA fan, and not a bettor, I'm glad Hall got the win over ACJ.

Advantageous position is supposed to facilitate threatening submissions and/or landing damaging strikes, and NOT a pure goal in and of itself. (And in the early years of MMA, which I prefer in some ways, that's how it was scored) I think MMA is much better when you realize that, and rate the actual end goal (damage, quality submission attempts) as more important than the MEANS to that end.

(Also, quite a bit of ACJ's "control" was simply pushing Hall up against the cage, which I don't even view as a particularly advantageous position to begin with)

Furthermore, I like it when MMA is closer to a true one on one street fight and not a meta-heavy sport where fighters use tactics solely because of the referees, judges, dozens of rules, etc. And thus, I again prefer it scored in a manner rewarding the fighter inflicting more damage and coming closer to incapacitating his opponent.

Couldn't have put it any better. Hall winning was a win for the sport and how judging should be scored.

This has been a strange year for me... Seems like I keep alternating between losing big and then winning slightly bigger. I got absolutely slaughtered last week but I came back and killed on this one. Hit Hall, Connelly, Glover, Misha, Gaethje, Skelly and Smolka and ended up +10u. Would have been 10 more if Skelly/Griffin didn't go the distance.

Back