UFN 89 - Wonderboy vs Waterboy - 6/18 - Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strong leans for bets on both of those fights, too scared to say anything lol really not happy about 5d waiting so long now to upload lines

just pm'd you dawg to see if we're on the same wavelength.

giphy.gif

Cucklikas gon' have to do his own leg work.

Predicts win within 4 minutes

Colby is the same type of figher I fought in my last fight, a southpaw wrestler, it will be the same result (via Sub), train with all the fighters at TriStar, I always walk around 185, the weight won't be an issue, I have good genetics, Taleb and Firas will be in my corner, I like to finish, District my nickname is the name of my clothing shop

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/6/1...n-meunier-vs-colby-covington-welcome-mma-news

Who is Jonathan Meunier?

The 6’3” “District” is a 28-year-old welterweight fighting out of Tristar Quebec. Not in fact home to Garcia, GSP, Rory Mac and the other notable UFC talent of years past, although he does spend time training at the more well known facility. He’s entering the Octagon with an unbeaten 7-0 record, with all his wins coming via finish (and having only seen the second round once). His most notable win to date is over Millennia MMA product Stephen Martinez. Outside of MMA Meunier has a background in Taekwondo and kickboxing at the amateur level.

What you should expect:

Despite his TKD background and his rangy frame (and despite his string of first round finishes) it’d be something of a misnomer to say that Meunier’s success has come from his striking. In general, he reminds me a bit of Julia Budd, who was constantly trumpeted for her kickboxing credentials as she ground opponents into the mats with her wrestling/grappling game. At range Meunier is something of a tentative, low output, and slightly stiff striker.

In his last fight, he got pretty badly hurt and roughed up by the relatively inexperienced (but aggressive) Francis Charbonneau, and was able to turn the fight around by shooting a power double. Against Martinez, his takedown defense and use of elbows to the side of Martinez’s head during transition allowed him to get top position for the finish. As Meunier’s most recent and best opponents, that may give a better picture of his skills than a string of KOs. From top position, he uses his size and strength well to get and hold dominant positions while raining down blows. He’s an active striker who generates good power with an opponent under him. If he can’t get the fight there though, he could have real problems in the UFC.

What this means for his debut:

Colby Covington could be a great opponent for Meunier or a stylistic nightmare, depending on the intricacies of how their style matches up. Covington is a power wrestler with very few other parts to his game. He hasn’t shown himself to strike that well, or grapple with any finishing consistency. He’s just a mauling top control monster. So he could get Meunier down and work him over for 15 minutes, since Meunier is so focused on top control himself, or he could fail to get takedowns and Meunier’s own top game and better finishing instincts could drive him to a win. Especially on short notice, but also for technical skill, I’d bet on Covington.

I'm walking around 185, I felt so much better in my last fight because of that

that's interesting - what does rory walk around at, about 195?

Yeah that is interesting could have played a big part in WB showing cardio issues in the past.

Alot of tristar fighters on the same card is really good, Rory, Aubin-Mercier, I have to cut 15 pounds, not difficult, Colby is a good wrestler, but I train with Alex Garcia, I prefer to strike but the submission is a chance

Southpaws are giving me different looks, been training at tristar at 3 months, last camp I think I jumped around too much (4 weeks at Serra's gym), let's see what sticks, I'm much the same, He's tough and has the experience edge on me, but he has a bum knee, had his first KO, and broke his jaw, there is dimishing returns, he's a broken toy, I only started mma at 21 years old, there is no quit in me, Alvey has folded 7 times in a fight, I will make it 8, I lost my last fight, he didn't win it, I could be doing many other things, but my MMA is my passion, he fights for his kids, he has excellent timing, I have cool projects in the works, I spar with Cote

I like my KO style, never fight for a decision, I have over 50 fights and pankration fights, my body feels like it is, I love traveling, I have so many fans in Canada, I've been calling out him for over a year, he lost so he doesn't get to say no now, I'm a slow starter, I've been working on that since my first UFC fight, this time I expect a really good first round, I want to set the pace, we both have conditioning for days, It will be FOTN, I've fought 5 round fights, In the Kelly fight I had a torn ACL, so I might not have been to get back up if he took me down, I froze in the Bruson fight, I thought he was going to take me down, he caught me, it was a terrible stoppage, I was fine, the ref called me and apologized, I've told every ref not to stop it, I want to fight Whittaker, I also want Bisping (this interview was before his win), I don't have any weaknesses, I kick alot in the practice room, not so much in my last fights, Sean strickland broke my jaw (in decemeber), he's so talented

I can see that hitting but I cant tell you if its a god bet or not. Cote is gonna finish Cerrone I feel.

Why does Alvey keep saying it was a bad stoppage. It wasn't! When Yamasaki pulls Brunson off Alvey falls backwards and when he stands up Yamasaki has to steady him.

LOL @ no weaknesses I'm keeping my thoughts to myself until the lines are out. Interesting that he's saying he will have a good first round as that is a huge weakness for him.

Fight week is a long week, Cowboy can use everything if you let him use it, you have to back cowboy up, he's flat footed, he always crumbles when pressured, we watched all his fights, it's always the same, I will be heavier, but guys at 170 hit harder, and he'll feel my weight if he tries to wreslte, I have alot of experience, I'm not impressed with Cowboys name, I will push the pace, he will have to fight my fight, when I fought Wonderboy, I moved alot, Hendricks couldn't do that, I've been calling top 15 for over a year, I am 17-1 in Canada, we're (my wife and I) are going to vegas for UFC 200

i'm not sure of the last time i've been as unsure on a fight as i am with rory vs wonderboy. it's truly 50/50 for me

Almost everyone picks Wonderboy

I wanted a big name, I think it's a really bad match up for him, he's coming to my hometown

i'm not sure of the last time i've been as unsure on a fight as i am with rory vs wonderboy. it's truly 50/50 for me

It's a tough read for anyone. My main reason for giving the edge to Wonderboy is because I feel Rory is the one that needs to adjust his game accordingly to fight Thompson and in that case he'll be the less comfortable fighter in there.

Not much of a breakdown but both guys are at even odds I feel like it wouldn't be a bad pick either way unless one fighter moves into -140ish territory.

Yeah i'm with you EZ, extremely hard read. At this point i'm just looking for a value play to degen on. WB KO over +200 might be the one for me, but ill be waiting til fight time so well see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back