UFN 89 - Wonderboy vs Waterboy - 6/18 - Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how the Canadian track record is for Canada.
In Brazil - it's really high.

They also flew Raymond Daniels who is IMO better than Page and Wonderboy in that specific style of striking. So it is not like Rory did not his homework.
I think while Wonderboy is on fire right now and is riding a solid win streak, his last two wins are against guys Im personally fading post-USADA.

Rory size will be a major issue for Stephens tho. It is not hard to pick apart stationary and short opponents like Ellenberger or Hendricks with Wonderboy style.

Cant find a gif for that but I remember Jake E. dropping and hurting Wonderboy. Rory is not a 1 punch KO guy but he surely has crisper boxing than Ellenberger.

True but Rory has never fought anyone stylistically like WB. WB has dealt with everyone easily so far except for Matt Brown, and he was handling him until he gassed.

True but Rory has never fought anyone stylistically like WB. WB has dealt with everyone easily so far except for Matt Brown, and he was handling him until he gassed.
True but that can be applied for anyone who faces Wonderboy. There is nobody like him in the UFC.

All Im saying is that Im not that confident on Wonderboy. I think Rory is his best opponent so far.
I still favor Thompson but Im passing on that one.

True but that can be applied for anyone who faces Wonderboy. There is nobody like him in the UFC.

All Im saying is that Im not that confident on Wonderboy. I think Rory is his best opponent so far.
I still favor Thompson but Im passing on that one.

How do you think Rory wins?

How do you think Rory wins?
Rory has an excellent jab and is the better grappler. Also has solid kicks. Nothing fanzy but it works.

Im not so sure that Wonderboy can run circles around Rory with his "in and out" style like he did against a stationary Hendricks or even Ellenberger (who caught WB and had him in trouble early).

Also Wonderboy styles requires more cardio and this is a 5 round affair. He could be the slower guy in the later rounds. Rory is always game.

Funny thing is that I was pissed off when they announced this matchup. I would blindly bet on Wonderboy against any other WW right now but I always thought Rory was the worst matchup for him.
After his performance against Hendricks he should have gotten a TS. It took him less than 4 minutes to do what Robbie could not in 75!

90% sure I'll be on WB at these odds. 100% on WB NSC

Rory has an excellent jab and is the better grappler. Also has solid kicks. Nothing fanzy but it works.

Im not so sure that Wonderboy can run circles around Rory with his "in and out" style like he did against a stationary Hendricks or even Ellenberger (who caught WB and had him in trouble early).

Also Wonderboy styles requires more cardio and this is a 5 round affair. He could be the slower guy in the later rounds. Rory is always game.

Funny thing is that I was pissed off when they announced this matchup. I would blindly bet on Wonderboy against any other WW right now but I always thought Rory was the worst matchup for him.
After his performance against Hendricks he should have gotten a TS. It took him less than 4 minutes to do what Robbie could not in 75!

Yeah solid jab but i can't see it working against WB who will not stand in front of him. Ellenberger did drop him but Berger hits like a truck Rory does not. I agree if it goes late it could get interesting but i see WB outclassing Rory and knocking him out.

Yup in a 5 rounder things do change and get interesting, those last 2 rounds will be of interest still reckon WB edges 3 decisive rounds here, rory is coming back from 1 year lay off and broken face/nose also and being put against the no1 contender in the div right now.

90% sure I'll be on WB at these odds. 100% on WB NSC

i don't agree w/the WB NSC necessarily. it's -167 compared to -110, and he slows down in fights. 5 rounds here.

i'd agree moreso if it was the same price, but huge differential

i don't agree w/the WB NSC necessarily. it's -167 compared to -110, and he slows down in fights. 5 rounds here.

Hes only slowed down against Brown right? That was a long time ago his UFC infancy and Brown sets a terrific pace Rory doesnt. I think people relying on WB slowing down could be in for a surprise.

Hes only slowed down against Brown right? That was a long time ago his UFC infancy and Brown sets a terrific pace Rory doesnt. I think people relying on WB slowing down could be in for a surprise.

imo, he slows down often

watch the ellenberger fight, for example.. he was definitely slowing down at end of first, even tho he got the ko

valid point.

imo, he slows down often

watch the ellenberger fight, for example.. he was definitely slowing down at end of first, even tho he got the ko

Will need to rewatch. Dont remember that.

I Really feel Cote is going to dominate Cerrone. Going heavy on Cote.

I Really feel Cote is going to dominate Cerrone. Going heavy on Cote.

Yup, thats the first thing I thought after I saw this fight get announced. Cote may even get the finish early and will surely target his liver. Cote has faced way harder punchers and the only way I see Cowboy winning is by decision. Cote has the grappling edge aswell imo with an increase advatage because of his size. Imma smash Cote at +140.

I really thought Cote would be near -200 after the performance against a tough Burkamn and Saunders( a huge WW), finishing them both. Cowboy brings nothing to the table that Cote hasn't seen and is facing the hardest hitter he has ever faced. Cowboy has always had a weakness against good boxing which Cote brings in spades.

Last edited:
Yup, thats the first thing I thought after I saw this fight get announced. Cote may even get the finish early and will surely target his liver. Cote has faced way harder punchers and the only way I see Cowboy winning is by decision. Cote has the grappling edge aswell imo with an increase advatage because of his size. Imma smash Cote at +140.

I really thought Cote would be near -200 after the performance against a tough Burkamn and Saunders( a huge WW), finishing them both. Cowboy brings nothing to the table that Cote hasn't seen and is facing the hardest hitter he has ever faced. Cowboy has always had a weakness against good boxing which Cote brings in spades.

Okay so I'm betting Cote ML and by decision, and his grappling has absolutely improved a TON to the point where you could call him a very good overall grappler. But let's slow down with him having the grappling edge on a guy like Cowboy. Cerrone doesn't just have a good guard, he has an ELITE mma guard. To the point where even legit solid grapplers don't want to mess around in it.

I was very impressed with how Cote handled KIlla B (and again, I think he wins this fight and am betting him) and by no means do I think he's completely outclassed on the mat vs Cerrone. But even with the size edge, the better grappler is Cerrone. Maybe not by a ton, but he's far more proven in what he can do on the mat in MMA imo.

I just put a very big bet by my standards on patrick cote.

I love cerrone, but I think he is outmatched here.

Okay so I'm betting Cote ML and by decision, and his grappling has absolutely improved a TON to the point where you could call him a very good overall grappler. But let's slow down with him having the grappling edge on a guy like Cowboy. Cerrone doesn't just have a good guard, he has an ELITE mma guard. To the point where even legit solid grapplers don't want to mess around in it.

I was very impressed with how Cote handled KIlla B (and again, I think he wins this fight and am betting him) and by no means do I think he's completely outclassed on the mat vs Cerrone. But even with the size edge, the better grappler is Cerrone. Maybe not by a ton, but he's far more proven in what he can do on the mat in MMA imo.

I said the grappling "edge" because he is larger meaning I think that Cerrone will not be taking him down at will to use his ground skills. This is my own opinion and trust me 10 lbs of weight difference is a huge difference when grappling. Cote surely respects Cerrone's ground game . Saunders is better than Cerrone on the ground and Cote didn't have too much a problem with him. Doubt he even takes him down once. Cote dictates where the fight goes and is the value bet in this fight. Honestly I would take Cote over Cerrone even if his line was -175 and at +140 imma super smash it.

When is Cerrone ever out matched. He's a world class fighter.

Value is on Côte but he ain't as skilled when compared to Cerrone.

Fact is though, he's outsized. That'll be Côte's best asset but we will know in that first grappling exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back