International UK/European energy crisis, is Russia behind this?

aries

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Wholesale gas prices have risen by 250% and smaller UK gas firms are shutting down. This has led to a food shortage because of a lack of CO2 (used in beverages and poultry stunning) which is produced from natural gas. The UK government is going to look at what they can do which may include loans to the bigger companies to take on customers from smaller firms. The issue being there are price caps so the supplier will have to absorb the costs of the sky-high gas prices.

What's the reason for the price rises? There are a few things being mentioned, higher demand after the pandemic, higher use in Asia and lower output from Russia. The one that immediately caught my attention was the lower output from Russia. Apparently, they have suddenly lowered supply to Europe but for no apparent reason. Analysts believe that they may be doing it to speed up the introduction of the new Nord Stream 2 line that goes through the Baltic and comes from Russia.

What I find curious is that the UK news agencies don't seem to be covering the Russia angle in relation to the price rise. And I'm wondering what the reason is for this. Is it because they don't want to publicly acknowledge that Russia has so much leverage over the UK's energy supply?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/24/rus...europe-as-nord-stream-2-nears-completion.html

Some people in the West have become jumpy little bitches trying to find any connection to Russia/China whenever shit goes south.
It's not an opinion, it's a fact. Russia has lowered supply and prices have skyrocketed. The question is why.

Yes I think that's the silver lining of this situation. We are too reliant on fossil fuels so this should give us a real kick up the ass to develop sustainable resources.

I don't know for the life of me why we aren't full force for nuclear power at this point.

Having food and being warm is evil. Starve and freeze. The Leftist way.

This planet should be a nuclear Utopia, but you fucks are too dumb.

I don't see how you're tying something between the UK and Russia to be a right/left issue.

I don't know for the life of me why we aren't full force for nuclear power at this point.
It has a bad press with reactor failures. We are building a nuclear plant in the UK which will be online in 2026 but the price of energy there will be expensive, twice as expensive as wind farms.
I think the future is fusion reactors but we are some way away from that technology, 2050 at the earliest. Fusion has a massive advantage that it can't meltdown and releases no harmful radiation if things go wrong.

It kind of is a politicised issue, though, in a way. Any mention of building nuclear facilities is pretty much always met with disdain and protest, mainly from eco-warrior types. I don't know enough about the situation to comment strongly pro or against nuclear energy, to be fair. But there's a definite pushback from the Left, regarding it.

It kind of is a politicised issue, though, in a way. Any mention of building nuclear facilities is pretty much always met with disdain and protest, mainly from eco-warrior types. I don't know enough about the situation to comment strongly pro or against nuclear energy, to be fair. But there's a definite pushback from the Left, regarding it.

I think some of it is that and some of it is lobbyists for coal and gas companies. Either way we need to get our shit sorted on this one, I remember people talking about fossil fuels being finite when I was in primary school and even now we haven't done anything significant about it.

I think some of it is that and some of it is lobbyists for coal and gas companies. Either way we need to get our shit sorted on this one, I remember people talking about fossil fuels being finite when I was in primary school and even now we haven't done anything significant about it.

I know, totally agree.

I heard someone on Bloomberg or msnbc. It’s basically Europe tried to go to hard and fast with green. It’s not windy now and the grid needs more gas to run. In the meantime they have lower like 70% natgas storage. So they have to buy a lot and now. With the USA not exporting as much iirc, plus demand in Asia, the Euros are dealing with a mostly self inflicted problem

I heard someone on Bloomberg or msnbc. It’s basically Europe tried to go to hard and fast with green. It’s not windy now and the grid needs more gas to run. In the meantime they have lower like 70% natgas storage. So they have to buy a lot and now. With the USA not exporting as much iirc, plus demand in Asia, the Euros are dealing with a mostly self inflicted problem
That still doesn't explain why Russia have cut back on supplies so much.

Poor Russians, they are just misunderstood.
Hey, we are spit balling here to find out why they are producing less oil. Maybe they just want to drive up the price based on demand. They are pulling an OPEC move.

Back