International UK/European energy crisis, is Russia behind this?

Really though I think there has long been a deliberate tactic with enviromentalism to try and push it towards low level consumer responsability.

The idea we can collectively save the planet via recycling, buying certain products or shifting lifestyles, these things do have some potential to help of course but I think they have been used to try and shift focus away from changes needed at a big business level, both by taking up all the space in what media time environmentalism gets and in trying to guilt trip the public, "hey now, don't be critical of Shell when we all know you didnt recyle that can properly last week".

I agree that placing responsibility on end consumers is plainly stupid. Sure they can help but no one can honestly expect people to know the externalities of the literally thousands of products in their home.

IMO you're right when you say Russia is the direct cause related to Europes nat gas price woes. But I don't think this is some nefarious plan.

Winter is coming and it gets extremely cold in Russia. They need natural gas too. I believe they're simply filling their own caverns so they can have supply for their own country.

When the world opened back up after lockdowns - demand for nat gas surged. However, numerous situations limited supply. The freeze in Texas, historically lower amount of offshore oil rigs, frackers limiting oil production in fear of over supplying the market, etc.

Long story short, there has been and will continue to be, a massive global push toward natural gas. And supply simply needs to increase. There's not a nefarious Russian plan. And Europe is way to dependent upon Russian natural gas.
Perhaps it isn't nefarious but it really suits Russia. Could be a coincidence but they have the means and the motive.... Like a lot of things Russia does/get's accused of there is often not much actual proof beyond circumstantial evidence.

I did not say “nothing”, I said not a lot. Sure there is always something we can do, but unless China also completely changes (which I highly doubt), then it will be negligible.

I think you are wrong on this. Germany, the world's second industrial exporter, has a significant part of its mix coming from renewable energies and stopped new nuclear facilities.
The euro car market is extremely focused on reducing carbon emissions. A major city like Paris became limited to 30 km/h everywhere. In Germany we recycle everything. As in we don't produce glass anymore because it all comes from recycled glass. In the USA electric cars are a serious topic with Tesla (of course as in all things muurkan it comes with its dose of hype, nonsense and hyperventilation).

SO things are happening. Obviously we do not know how to produce with 100% carbon neutrality yet, so we are still reliant on fossil fuels. China is the biggest country on earth and just industrialised. Of course they are huge polluter but you are mistaken if you think that they are not working on it. China might surprise you.

What do you propose? Just to keep on being pieces of shit just because China? Sounds like an excuse to stay a lazy, fat and entitled american bum in white socks, TBH. No disrespect, of course,

I think you are wrong on this. Germany, the world's second industrial exporter, has a significant part of its mix coming from renewable energies and stopped new nuclear facilities.
The euro car market is extremely focused on reducing carbon emissions. A major city like Paris became limited to 30 km/h everywhere. In Germany we recycle everything. As in we don't produce glass anymore because it all comes from recycled glass. In the USA electric cars are a serious topic with Tesla (of course as in all things muurkan it comes with its dose of hype, nonsense and hyperventilation).

SO things are happening. Obviously we do not know how to produce with 100% carbon neutrality yet, so we are still reliant on fossil fuels. China is the biggest country on earth and just industrialised. Of course they are huge polluter but you are mistaken if you think that they are not working on it. China might surprise you.

What do you propose? Just to keep on being pieces of shit just because China? Sounds like an excuse to stay a lazy, fat and entitled american bum in white socks, TBH. No disrespect, of course,

I hope I am wrong about China, too. I just don’t share your optimism, lol.

The population of the planet is about 7.9 billion people now. The number of babies being born every year has (according to some sources) already peaked and will gradually start declining.

The population of earth will grow to between 9-11 billion people in the latter half of this century and then start declining.

When this happens, the CO2 production of planet earth will naturally start declining, too. Without infringing on anyone’s rights or committing any kind of atrocities to “make it happen”.

Do what you can do, I don’t even own a car BTW, I walk and cycle mostly. I keep my immediate environment clean, recycle my old stuff and live modestly. That’s pretty much all we can do.

China is by far the largest hyrdopower producer, over 3 times more than the US in 2nd.

Back