UMA Custom 16oz IR gloves

StRatoCastR

Gear Tester/Reviewer
@Brown
Reaction score

Ladies and Gents,

I know a lot of you have been PMing me about these gloves. So I’m here to do a review. I waited awhile on doing these as I didn’t want 3 back to back UMA reviews. So I made sure I spaced them out!

Anyhow for those that don’t know what UMA is, it’s an acronym for Universal Martial Arts (UMA for short). These guys are another homegrown company that have been doing very well fulfilling orders here at Sherdog. They do specialize in custom gear but they do Bulk orders as well!

Anyhow, I know many of you have asked what is so special about these gloves? The IR edition is basically my initials and UMA did a great job of asking what I wanted for a glove. They are a hybrid type of glove. Super protective with a Mexican style "bang" to them.

It was always challenging finding a glove that had both characteristics of a Mexican style glove as well as being protective. This glove balances that formula out without sacrificing too much of one or the other. It also got rid of a lot of weaknesses that particular style of glove had. Like the thumb being too short, or the hand compartment being too big, or the wrist not offering enough support. Basically, I wanted to fix all the weaknesses each glove type had. So UMA and I got together and we hashed it out from the drawing board. It took a little bit to dial in the foam, and get that nice natural curve to the striking area but when it was all said and done. I can honestly say these are my favorite pair of gloves, period. I know I have a long history of reviewing and trying different types of gloves and most of the time I offered answers like, if it’s your style or if this is what you are seeking but I feel these will answer MOST of guys/gals requests out there as it marries a lot of my favorite gloves I’ve personally used into one "Super glove."

The Look/Fit/Feel:
These gloves are nice and snug with wraps on, the liner is soft and the glove is very natural feeling. The glove uses high quality leather with the colors of Black for the base, copper for the inner thumb, grip bar and wrist, and piping in the palm area. The rest of the glove is a spackled silver. I went with the spackled leather because it was a new look and I felt it gave a lot of depth to the glove. It offered a nice detail to the glove which I haven’t seen, the silver may not be for everyone but I personally liked it. The metallic are very beautiful, I wanted something new other than the usual black with gold. The silver is very brilliant its easily one of the best looking silvers out there, right on par with Reyes silver. The copper is a rather new color to me. I know it’s been out there awhile but I liked how vibrant this looked in comparison to other coppers I’ve seen.

I wanted something to reflect my active duty Air Force career so I went with an eagle for the logo. I felt anyone else getting these gloves, an eagle could represent anything. I also wanted something more reserved than the skulls I had another pair...

I was never a lace up fan, so all my custom gloves these days sport my standard 4 inch robust Velcro for maximum wrist support. I hate thin-flimsy wrist straps, so I like to get something a bit more supportive. The glove itself is supremely well balanced, easy to make a fist, and the thumb should accommodate most thumbs out there.

The glove stays really cool with the UMA liner, and we have 8 vent holes to boot. 4 on the thumb, 4 in the palm area. Lastly, the stitching is on point.

I also wanted to correct the Reyes thumb issue that many of you guys have issues with, so the thumb is far more conventional, and accommodate most thumbs. I know some of you guys out there that have wicked long thumbs, that are like 10 inches long, you’ll have to get with the guys at UMA to get a properly sized thumb, but no worries this is a custom glove, so make it yours.. and make sure it fits right!

Lastly, as in all my custom gloves that I have made for me, I’m a firm believer in the 4inch Velcro so that support and wrist stability will not be an issue. I also do not like dealing with the hassles of lace-ups especially when performing circuit training.

Performance:
These gloves offer solid protection. I didn’t want the padding to be identical to Winning... then we would have another Winning clone. This is a new type of foam, I really couldn’t compare it to anything out there right now as it still lends itself to the “Puncher’s glove” aspect…So before anyone takes anything I say out of context “THIS IS NOT A WINNING CLONE.” I think many of you that have zero hand issues will LOVE this glove. I also don’t want to paint the glove as being non-protective either. I know some people have bought the IR editions already on eBay, I wish they would jump on here and confirm how good the gloves are.

While these gloves do not bottom out all the way like Reyes would, you do feel your knuckles rise to the surface somewhat. It’s not a true puncher's glove but it is one of sorts. You stay protected while knowing you landed that solid hit. They aren’t overly padded like IMF, which don't let you know exactly where you hit due to the super accented pre-curved fist. These are indeed layered foam.

I just liked how the gloves stayed cool, the satisfying pop sound, and the non-gimmicky nature of the glove. I prefer the more traditional style glove that does the right thing. I’m big into feedback, and while trying to dial in the foam, that’s often things you miss from a Mexican style glove is often there is little to no feedback. Don’t confuse this with shock, or lack of absorption. Let me assure you, there is no pain when you land that magical hit. When you land THAT solid hit, you know, you feel every square inch of the glove, and know that was a perfect shot. That is what I look for... That is what gloves often miss.

Weight:
16 Oz gloves came in at 16.1oz each.

Cost:
$100 + Shipping

Overall:
These are my favorite glove hands down. I absolutely love them. While they wont be for everyone, they are definitely for me. They are a different type of glove: While remaining protective, you don’t really sacrifice the feedback element. I think too many of us want a glove that is a copy of Winning/Reyes while never really giving anything else a chance. I think if you love a puncher’s glove but want a bit more protection, this IS the glove.

Score:
A+

[email protected]

The guys at UMA said more IR gloves have been ordered, hopefully you guys love them as much as I do

UMA%20BLACK%203_zpsawh85ph6.jpg

UMA%20BLACK_zpsfvit3wi1.jpg

UMA%20BLACK%202_zpsrrgl69bn.jpg

So the 'IR" is just basically same build and padding with your choice of colors and logo right?? Or is the eagle logo the official IR logo? I want a pair with the viking head they have shown thats why Im asking.

The ir gloves are the ones in this review. 4 inch velcro, eagle logo, new padding, specific cut of glove as pictured, etc.

Sensational looking gloves that seem exceptionally well made. Decent review, bien hecho!

My order is in - very simple email discussion and payment process. My order will be in my hands in approx 17 business days 😃

The ir gloves are the ones in this review. 4 inch velcro, eagle logo, new padding, specific cut of glove as pictured, etc.

Damn. Really don't want the eagle. I'll have to figure something else out. Thanks bud.

LOL, who got the medical gloves?!

And yes I do love the black UMAs

yep you know it! And I have seen your email Rodrigo, ill answer it soon. Gimme a day!
But yeah seems the IRs have caught on! I know multiple people have them now!

Damn. Really don't want the eagle. I'll have to figure something else out. Thanks bud.

I asked for all of the things that Strato had in his IRs and they presented me with a design with the generic UMA logo on the back of the hand. I asked for the eagle being ex- Royal Air Force myself and at that point the design became the IR.

SEriously, drop them an email. Within 5 or 6 email exchanges I was down to fine tuning colours etc. you can literally have anything you want

I got the Caduceus (medical symbol) gloves. Love how the logo and gloves came out!
Can't wait to get my christmas present :)

yep you know it! And I have seen your email Rodrigo, ill answer it soon. Gimme a day!
But yeah seems the IRs have caught on! I know multiple people have them now!
Yeah no rush, thank you!

But yeah these gloves have caught peoples attention. I might have to get my own pair in the future.

Hi Strato, I've been watching your reviews and wanted to get your opinion on whether to buy the C-17 2.0's from Ring to Cage or UMA's RT-41's if I'm after a Winning clone/Inspired glove? I contacted UMA and they say their glove is better but I wanted to get a neutral perspective.

Also with regards to your IR gloves; can you use them for bag work? Or much like with Reyes (including their training gloves) its something to shy away from, whereas with a Winning clone thats not the problem?

These are mine, they came out allot better than what I was expecting. I tried on my old Reyes the other day and my hands and wrists had no problems, so a very very long lay off and some rehabbing has done wonders. I really can't wait to use these!

Might? You mean you will, just a matter of "When"

ah you can swap the logo bro. Just tell them IR gloves with the helmet logo instead. Thats an easy fix.

Im sure both of you guys will love your gloved. Ingo why the med symbol btw? You a graduate?

Hi Strato, I've been watching your reviews and wanted to get your opinion on whether to buy the C-17 2.0's from Ring to Cage or UMA's RT-41's if I'm after a Winning clone/Inspired glove? I contacted UMA and they say their glove is better but I wanted to get a neutral perspective.

Also with regards to your IR gloves; can you use them for bag work? Or much like with Reyes (including their training gloves) its something to shy away from, whereas with a Winning clone thats not the problem?

replied to your PM.

I'm a pharmacist. Was originally going to go with the horse head that I had seen, which is awesome, but decided that since I am going with custom I should get something different from the others.
I was originally going to get a color scheme with a dark purple color, but they didn't have it in stock and I needed to get the gloves made quickly and I had seen and liked this color scheme with the bronze.

I was very happy with the communication with UMA and how the gloves look. Can't wait to try them out :)

I'm a pharmacist. Was originally going to go with the horse head that I had seen, which is awesome, but decided that since I am going with custom I should get something different from the others.
I was originally going to get a color scheme with a dark purple color, but they didn't have it in stock and I needed to get the gloves made quickly and I had seen and liked this color scheme with the bronze.

I was very happy with the communication with UMA and how the gloves look. Can't wait to try them out :)

A pharmacist fighter......very cool. You can get your own painkillers.....lol.

Seriously though....I like the gloves and the logo. Very different!!!

Wow that's some serious wrist support Strat. Good on you, less injuries when you hang the gloves for good.

Edit: beautiful gloves too BTW. Is this a Winning like design? I hate saying it like that, but can't think of any other way to put it

Yeah bro the theme and colors came out pretty slick. Have they been shipped yet?

Hey mega, they are different than winning tho they do share some of the same features

I really liked the black/metallic orange but now I think I like the metallic blue/silver more. Very nice and as usual an excellent A+ review!!!

To be honest im unsure, best ask the guys at uma on that one

A pharmacist fighter......very cool. You can get your own painkillers.....lol.

Seriously though....I like the gloves and the logo. Very different!!!

Haha you know it! :D

Yeah bro the theme and colors came out pretty slick. Have they been shipped yet?

Thanks, They were shipped last Thursday - but I will get them right before Christmas as a family member will be bringing them from the USA (so I don't have to pay the darn custom taxes)

Thanks rob, what are you getting next in terms of gear?

Yeah? I havent bought from title in a while now! Anything good?

Back