Unorthodox techniques

BodybagJohnny**

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I'm a fundamentals, bread and butter kind of guy. Hands up, chin down, (hopefully) good technique.

I'm mostly gonna come forward, pressure you, hit some standard combos, and occasionally throw a superman punch to keep you guessing.

No spinning shit, no kicks above the ribs because I'm too old, short and inflexible, and no flash.

But I've been toying around with a few unorthodox strikes lately. Nothing too crazy, just some variations.

I've had a lot of success with my up jab. It lands almost every time I throw it. Granted, it's not something with much power on it, but the angle seems to confuse opponents.

I've also started mixing in throwing my right more from the chest and without turning it over. It gets there quicker and at an odd angle. Again, there's a sacrifice of power without snapping the wrist over at the end, but it's a pretty high percentage strike for me.

So I'm curious, what odd things do you mix in and why? What works for you that's a little outside the box?

There's different approaches but you got to remember that Bruce Lee's whole thing was breaking with tradition.

One man's fundamentals are another man's dogma or another man's unorthodox.

That's how this sport began, as a spectacle to show that what was considered unorthodox by many was in fact crucial.

That said I commend you for keeping an open mind and I'd suggest keeping in mind that everyone you potentially learn from will have a bias towards their own style, and with it probably some kool-aid about the superiority of their style.

I'm right handed and fight mainly southpaw, so most stuff I do annoys people because it's slightly or very unorthodox :p
But unorthodox only usually works behind good solid fundamentals, foot work, timing, distancing, etc
One I like to throw is the lead hook kick, but I bring it higher and drop it down like a cross between an axe kick and a hook kick. Southpaw lead hook kick has a nice angle anyway vs orthodox, but I found bringing it up and then down helps it cut over most peoples guard, kind of how the question mark kick does that on the roundhouse. Dropping it down puts the weight of you leg into it too.

I'm a fundamentals, bread and butter kind of guy. Hands up, chin down, (hopefully) good technique.

I'm mostly gonna come forward, pressure you, hit some standard combos, and occasionally throw a superman punch to keep you guessing.

No spinning shit, no kicks above the ribs because I'm too old, short and inflexible, and no flash.

But I've been toying around with a few unorthodox strikes lately. Nothing too crazy, just some variations.

I've had a lot of success with my up jab. It lands almost every time I throw it. Granted, it's not something with much power on it, but the angle seems to confuse opponents.

I've also started mixing in throwing my right more from the chest and without turning it over. It gets there quicker and at an odd angle. Again, there's a sacrifice of power without snapping the wrist over at the end, but it's a pretty high percentage strike for me.

So I'm curious, what odd things do you mix in and why? What works for you that's a little outside the box?

My defensive style is built around the cross guard, which is hard for people to deal with, especially in Muay Thai where the knowledge seems to begin and end with 'cross arms in front of you to take blows' with no consideration for proper positioning or defensive movements

I’ll backhand off a jab occasionally. And sometimes toss out side kicks as a long range jab.

Back take to deep oil check until they tap out

Deeper you go, faster they'll tap out. Be sure to maintain eye contact to show dominance, that way the judges will give you a 10-8 round

Back take to deep oil check until they tap out

Deeper you go, faster they'll tap out. Be sure to maintain eye contact to show dominance, that way the judges will give you a 10-8 round
Why you need 10-8 if they tap out?

Back