Unsigned Heavyweights - Thread Four

There it is. I was lazy and only went back 4 pages.
so is he 10-1 or 11-0??

for such a chubby guy, dude is very agile. he has some terrific takedown and decent kicks. his boxing seems to be kinda non existant. i can see him beating a lot of guys outside top 10. would love to see him join a good gym, lose some fat and make something of himself. his grappling seems to be enough to get him going in the ufc. hope to see him soon now that fights are thing again.

EDIT: looks like romanov vs tyubra is looking to be added to 251 on fight island... would be awesome. this is the exact opponent romanov needs. i dont know if he gets it done against tybura, but i guess we'll see.

https://www.tapology.com/fightcente...n-tybur-tybura-vs-alexander-king-kong-romanov

Last edited:
results
Oli Thompson defeats Szymon Bajor via KO/TKO at 0:23 of Round 1
Michał Kita defeats Igor Pokrajac via KO/TKO at 0:37 of Round 1
Adam Pałasz defeats Marcin Sianos via KO/TKO at 3:38 of Round 3
Maxim Kolosov defeats Denis Ezuta via 3 Round Decision
Oleg Popov defeats Denis Arkhireev via KO/TKO in Round 1

Kevin Szaflarski 8-1 vs. Damian Olszewski 2-2
Jakub Ozga 3-0 vs. Dawid Kobiera 2-2
Aleksandr Maslov 3-0 vs. Elkhan Musaev 4-0

@Paul L

So if DWCS does go ahead this summer, who do you expect to see turning up on it?

I'm going for....

Jared Vanderaa (10-4)
Hugo Cunha (5-0)
Renan Ferreira (6-2)
Josh Parisian (12-3)
Chris Daukaus (8-3)
Chad Johnson (6-1)
Said Sowma (4-1)

Something like that. Justin Frazier might get a shot again I guess.

Sorry for the extremely late reply, I haven't been doing too much MMA work until recently. COVID-19 knocked out most of my scouting.

Parisian and Johnson are confirmed already for DWCS.

I'd say... Cunha, Vanderaa, Daukaus, and Shawn Teed would be good adds. I'd do those matches as well, Cunha vs Vanderaa and Daukaus vs Teed.

Mohammad Usman and Renan Ferreira are both big question marks. They signed with PFL, but PFL released a lot of guys. Are they still under contract? Who knows.

Then you have Justin Frazier and Said Sowma, who I think need more fights before a DWCS shot.

Side note. Jackson/Wink gym is doing an all heavyweight camp to find the next big US heavyweight star. Applications go to the second week of July. They've had a lot of great applicants already. Anyone can apply at www.mataleon.com/scholarship

JW.jpg

Kirill Kornilov is fighting Sultan Murtazaliev (7-4, but tough test) soon, he's a 6'5" former Glory kickboxer, looks somewhat promising

Aleksandr Maslov lost to a LHW - and tbf he never looked like an actual HW

Long over due in my opinion, I wish it was at 205 but on short notice it makes sense. I’m sure he’ll drop by after this one. Great addition though, he got screwed in that last tourney.
With Ali as his manager and pfl cancelled it was an easy call now

Grishin was a major disappointment. TBH if you get majorly dominated by Tybura, then you dont have much of a future at HW, specially at his age.

Grishin was a major disappointment. TBH if you get majorly dominated by Tybura, then you dont have much of a future at HW, specially at his age.

He usually fights at LHW, Tybura was just too big and strong for him.

He usually fights at LHW, Tybura was just too big and strong for him.
Yes, I understand he is a LHW but he did not have a good performance regardless. Is not like he got outworked by a solid top HW; there would be no shame in that. He got dominated by Marcin fucking Tybura.
He did not look like an exciting fighter or show anything that would make anyone want to watch his future fights at HW or LHW. I was kind of looking forward to watch Romanov, I wonder what happened to him.

Yes, I understand he is a LHW but he did not have a good performance regardless. Is not like he got outworked by a solid top HW; there would be no shame in that. He got dominated by Marcin fucking Tybura.
He did not look like an exciting fighter or show anything that would make anyone want to watch his future fights at HW or LHW. I was kind of looking forward to watch Romanov, I wonder what happened to him.

Positive covid test is what I read

Tybura is one of the better grapplers at HW IMO. Grishin had similar issues vs Jordan Johnson in PFL, plus he was giving up a lot of size in this match up. He will drop down to LHW and pick up some wins I think.

Tybura is one of the better grapplers at HW IMO. Grishin had similar issues vs Jordan Johnson in PFL, plus he was giving up a lot of size in this match up. He will drop down to LHW and pick up some wins I think.
If Tybura is one of the better grapplers at HW, then that says a lot about the condition of the HW division. I believe I can name at least 10 better HW grapplers than Tybura.
Grishin needs to drop down to LHW for sure but I'm not sure if Uncle Dana will give him another shot nor am I very excited about his future fights.

If Tybura is one of the better grapplers at HW, then that says a lot about the condition of the HW division. I believe I can name at least 10 better HW grapplers than Tybura.
Grishin needs to drop down to LHW for sure but I'm not sure if Uncle Dana will give him another shot nor am I very excited about his future fights.

Can you name 10 better HW grapplers than Tybura? Not trying to be a dick just curious to see what you think.

UFC very rarely cuts people off one fight, especially when they step up on short notice. I don't think it was a performance that would see someone cut straight away.

Tybura is definitely one of the best grapplers at heavyweight and Grishin will get more chances for sure, this time at his real division at 205. He's a decent slow-paced striker and will turn on if given the right match up.

Can you name 10 better HW grapplers than Tybura? Not trying to be a dick just curious to see what you think.

UFC very rarely cuts people off one fight, especially when they step up on short notice. I don't think it was a performance that would see someone cut straight away.
IMO, Cormier, Blaydes, Overeem, Oleinik, Werdum, Rothwell, Bader, Minakov, Kongo, Fortune are all better HW grapplers than Tybura. IDK if at this point of their careers Mir, Barnett, and Fedor would also still be better grapplers. Now, if we are talking only UFC HWs, granted there are probably not more than 10, but still I would not consider Tyubra an elite grappler, he is a big boy who knows how to use his weight.
To give you an example, OSP moved up to HW to fight Ben Rothwell and lost a split decision. He did not look particularly great but losing a split decision to Rothwell, particularly coming up from LHW is nothing to be ashamed of. Plus, he had big moments in the fight that he looked like he could have finished Big Ben or sway the judges the other way. Grishin showed none of that.

A little throwback fight

Odoms vs Kawaguchi at WSOF

even though Richard is an older guy he is a serviceable Hw. Not sure why nobody state side gets him another chance

Back