Unstoppable Kimura

Very nice setup! I like that armpit slicer straight into the shoulder roll, to get wrist control.

You also have a nice ude gatami there along the way, if instead of grabbing the wrist with the hand at that point, you keep the wrist with your head, & slide the slicer up to just underneath the elbow, instead of the armpit.

i wish i used kimuras more i always felt theyw ere a strong man move i at least need to learn the kimura trap system to get the back ect that is something i need to earn in the future to help my grappling more i have vagner rochas dvd on it just havent seen yet

Is the kimura a strong man move or is it because side control is more of a hw pin?

I am embarrassed my how garbage my top side control game is. I just don't have an effective gi choke game, and my main strategy is to attempt to mount.

However this kimura setup has always been my bread and butter submission. In the gi, once you grab their arm, you can grab your own gi to make it even tighter.

i wish i used kimuras more i always felt theyw ere a strong man move i at least need to learn the kimura trap system to get the back ect that is something i need to earn in the future to help my grappling more i have vagner rochas dvd on it just havent seen yet
Screw using kimuras, try using punctuation. Immediate results.

yeh, i never understood the kimura being a strong man move to be honest

It all comes from Marcelo Garcia, he was salty as fuck Jacare subbed him by ripping out a DWL from bottom closed guard, so he started saying all DWLs everywhere in general are a 'strong-man' move to cope.

I am embarrassed my how garbage my top side control game is. I just don't have an effective gi choke game, and my main strategy is to attempt to mount.

However this kimura setup has always been my bread and butter submission. In the gi, once you grab their arm, you can grab your own gi to make it even tighter.
is it due to you not putting enough pressure to turn the guys hips? i know some amazing vids for you if thats the case

It all comes from Marcelo Garcia, he was salty as fuck Jacare subbed him by ripping out a DWL from bottom closed guard, so he started saying all DWLs everywhere in general are a 'strong-man' move to cope.

that and him hating head arm chokes when got darced by drysdale but tbh

lots thought kimura was strong guy move besides that before we had the tec we do now u hardly ever saw guys hit it who wernt strong

that and him hating head arm chokes when got darced by drysdale but tbh

lots thought kimura was strong guy move besides that before we had the tec we do now u hardly ever saw guys hit it who wernt strong

There were people with the tech, but it wasn't people in the Gracie Gang. Which was probably another factor behind the meme.

sakuraba vs renzo.jpg

There were people with the tech, but it wasn't people in the Gracie Gang. Which was probably another factor behind the meme.

View attachment 757631
well isnt like gracies hated the kimura they named the move after him and added to their system they just wernt might i say very good with it on a competition level

catch wrestlers back a decade and longer were known to have the better kimuras and americanas but it was good luck to try to find one

well isnt like gracies hated the kimura they named the move after him and added to their system they just wernt might i say very good with it on a competition level

catch wrestlers back a decade and longer were known to have the better kimuras and americanas but it was good luck to try to find one

The point itself; there weren't a whole lot of guys actually skilled at DWLs in bjj for a good while, so the idea of it being a 'noob tech' 'strength move' 'low status object used by low status out-group members unlike high status objects use by high status in-group members like myself' et cetera et cetera, becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy - up to the extent that the underlying inherency of more essentially effective maneuvers are eventually converged upon in competitive environments in spite of such.

You could say attitudes about scarf-hold or leg entanglements in general are another example of this dynamic.

Typical submissions used in bjj from early days were arm bars and rncs, and triangles to a lesser extent. The arm bar was something everyone went for, top and bottom. It was 'the' thing most thought of when thinking of 'submission move'. Comparatively, understanding of things like DWLs or front-headlock attacks or leg locks was much less nuanced, and took time to filter in as more guys had more success with more visibility.

You know, the most influential guy on the trajectory of bjj in the last decade wasn't John Danaher... it was Eddie Bravo. Why? Because it was he who created the platform for putting leg entanglement based styles on display in the first place. There were pretty much no high profile competition outlets that allowed heel hooks besides the ADCC, which only took place every two years and is highly rarefied to boot anyways. It was through EBI that people first saw Gary Tonon, and then Eddie Cummings, and then Gordon Ryan, competing and winning on a big stage with lots of eyeballs against multiple opponents in the same night, using leg entanglements to do it. It put the blue basement boys on the map, and by extension, leg attacks as a whole suddenly got anointed with the oil of acceptability in beej circles, a massive shift in operational trends.

The point itself; there weren't a whole lot of guys actually skilled at DWLs in bjj for a good while, so the idea of it being a 'noob tech' 'strength move' 'low status object used by low status out-group members unlike high status objects use by high status in-group members like myself' et cetera et cetera, becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy - up to the extent that the underlying inherency of more essentially effective maneuvers are eventually converged upon in competitive environments in spite of such.

You could say attitudes about scarf-hold or leg entanglements in general are another example of this dynamic.

Typical submissions used in bjj from early days were arm bars and rncs, and triangles to a lesser extent. The arm bar was something everyone went for, top and bottom. It was 'the' thing most thought of when thinking of 'submission move'. Comparatively, understanding of things like DWLs or front-headlock attacks or leg locks was much less nuanced, and took time to filter in as more guys had more success with more visibility.

You know, the most influential guy on the trajectory of bjj in the last decade wasn't John Danaher... it was Eddie Bravo. Why? Because it was he who created the platform for putting leg entanglement based styles on display in the first place. There were pretty much no high profile competition outlets that allowed heel hooks besides the ADCC, which only took place every two years and is highly rarefied to boot anyways. It was through EBI that people first saw Gary Tonon, and then Eddie Cummings, and then Gordon Ryan, competing and winning on a big stage with lots of eyeballs against multiple opponents in the same night, using leg entanglements to do it. It put the blue basement boys on the map, and by extension, leg attacks as a whole suddenly got anointed with the oil of acceptability in beej circles, a massive shift in operational trends.

eddies guys d leg locks but tbh eddie himself admitted he didnt come up with systems eddie does weird leg attacks like slicers or split like ones iv never seen eddie teaching leg attacks like we are using today

to me eddie is like bruce lee bruce lee just gave a broad idea saying use what works lol and people call him yoda for it which is funny

eddie just said guys need to try to evolve no gi that no gi is a different game from gi but marcelo garcia was the one who came out and put some muscle behind that using the arm drag the seat belt back rnc butterfly/x guard famed and his guillotines

eddies guys d leg locks but tbh eddie himself admitted he didnt come up with systems eddie does weird leg attacks like slicers or split like ones iv never seen eddie teaching leg attacks like we are using today

to me eddie is like bruce lee bruce lee just gave a broad idea saying use what works lol and people call him yoda for it which is funny

eddie just said guys need to try to evolve no gi that no gi is a different game from gi but marcelo garcia was the one who came out and put some muscle behind that using the arm drag the seat belt back rnc butterfly/x guard famed and his guillotines

I think you missed the point.

is it due to you not putting enough pressure to turn the guys hips? i know some amazing vids for you if thats the case
I’m curious about the videos of this, if you don’t mind posting them.

Funny thing sakuraba has more armbar submissions than kimura submissions.
9 arm bar subs compared to 4 kimura submissions.

I dont think its the submission itself rather than the position of entry (side control) imho it is much harder to keep side control on somene who is larger than you.

Im genuinely curious which grappler has used the kimura successfully against high lvl competition?

If ‘Kimura is a strong man’s move’ was the old myth which is being phased out, then the new myth might be ‘Kimura is a side control move’. Kimuras can be grabbed from literally just about anywhere, top or bottom, and be highly effective as a submission in & of itself, or just used as a teleporter to the back, or as a sweep from bottom to top. So, not only does a kimura not have to start from side control, but kimuras are actually a very effective way to *achieve* side control.

Back