Unstoppable Kimura

i wish i used kimuras more i always felt theyw ere a strong man move i at least need to learn the kimura trap system to get the back ect that is something i need to earn in the future to help my grappling more i have vagner rochas dvd on it just havent seen yet

Aren’t you a Danaher fanboy? Just check out his instructional on the subject of kimuras, it’s exceptional.

Aren’t you a Danaher fanboy? Just check out his instructional on the subject of kimuras, it’s exceptional.

im a fan boy of amazing technique so i guess yes i didnt like his kimura stuff as much im not biggets fan of how he teaches in vids so i got vagner rochas as well

I’m curious about the videos of this, if you don’t mind posting them.

i started doing this at blue belt rob khan who was a royce bb came up with some techniques for no gi to keep great pressure on top side and mount he has 2 dvds out which go into way more detail but heres 2 base line techs

im a fan boy of amazing technique so i guess yes i didnt like his kimura stuff as much im not biggets fan of how he teaches in vids so i got vagner rochas as well

If you already have the Daneher instructional, I'd say give it another try sometime. If you're looking for kimura to backmount, it's on there

This technique would eventually be known as the 'Shoulder of Justice', lol.

I think I heard that term was first coined by Conor's coach John Kavanagh, but I'm not sure

i started doing this at blue belt rob khan who was a royce bb came up with some techniques for no gi to keep great pressure on top side and mount he has 2 dvds out which go into way more detail but heres 2 base line techs

Thanks man!

This technique would eventually be known as the 'Shoulder of Justice', lol.

I think I heard that term was first coined by Conor's coach John Kavanagh, but I'm not sure

you're correct. So called cause the little guy could make himself feel like a big guy in the position. As i'm almost 100kgs I call mine the shoulder of injustice haha

As i'm almost 100kgs I call mine the shoulder of injustice haha

giphy.gif

Works well with the ‘invisible’ too

Nice video man. Great example of why I'm always fishing for the underhook from bottom side control, to power my way out. Can't get kimura'ed that way.

For everyone saying that the kimura isn't a strength move, though- like, yes it kind of is. If someone's sufficiently strong, they can just straighten their arm and athlete their way out of there. I'm speaking as someone who loves kimuras, I use it all the time against smaller opponents or people my size- but, against someone with a 25+ lbs. weight advantage, I'd just move on to something else. You can teach all the technique you want, but 'my bench is 75 lbs. more than yours and I'm just gonna straighten my arm out now' 100% works.

Versus less strength dependent subs like an armbar. On a bigger, stronger opponent when I have top side control, I'd start with a kimura grip and then transition that into an armbar. You can't athlete your way out of that

Nice video man. Great example of why I'm always fishing for the underhook from bottom side control, to power my way out. Can't get kimura'ed that way.

For everyone saying that the kimura isn't a strength move, though- like, yes it kind of is. If someone's sufficiently strong, they can just straighten their arm and athlete their way out of there. I'm speaking as someone who loves kimuras, I use it all the time against smaller opponents or people my size- but, against someone with a 25+ lbs. weight advantage, I'd just move on to something else. You can teach all the technique you want, but 'my bench is 75 lbs. more than yours and I'm just gonna straighten my arm out now' 100% works.

Versus less strength dependent subs like an armbar. On a bigger, stronger opponent when I have top side control, I'd start with a kimura grip and then transition that into an armbar. You can't athlete your way out of that

Heck even saku has more armbar finishes

You can teach all the technique you want, but 'my bench is 75 lbs. more than yours and I'm just gonna straighten my arm out now' 100% works.

Sounds like something someone who don't know teh tech would say.

Unless you're fighting a guy who can snap your humerus in half just by flexing his triceps, aint noone getting out of a good keylock.

One of the biggest issues most people tend to have with using double wrist locks/kimura trap series, or perhaps submissions in general really, is not knowing how to advance to superior finishing positions; not knowing there are even superior positions in the first place. It's like someone trying to choke people out in closed guard just using a teepee, rather than fully locking the legs in a figure four and cutting the angle.

For that matter, another thing to look for even before that is hand control over wrist control, as it makes it much harder for a guy to roll his arm out, and puts a lot more kinks in his joints.

Another good detail; if he's really squirmy or already locked out and you're having trouble wrangling his arm in to position for a more solid hold, then, rather than try to fight arm vs arm by pulling his arm towards you, you just pin his hand to the mat, and move his body over to his hand instead.

Heck even saku has more armbar finishes

The arm bar was something everyone knew really.

For that matter though, a lot of those finishes were set up by going through the DWL in the first place.

That's another thing really a lot of folk often fail to appreciate about the series; it's not just an isolated 'submission move', it's a powerful vector for positional advancement in general, that can be applied in almost any situation. Whether it's defending shots, or reversing from the bottom, or taking the back, or setting up concession holds.

As an example, a significant part of Gordon Ryan's passing strategy basically comes down to 'forcing' deep half or reverse half guard, by climbing up towards the guy's head or back stepping, and attacking the double wristlock from there.

When Sakuraba fought and won against monsters like Vitor Belfort or Kevin Randleman, who outsized him by at least two or more whole weightclasses, on top of being highly skilled grapplers in their own right, that was his lifeline. Whenever they were trying to ragdoll him across the ring, as long as he had a hold of that, he could stymie their efforts, constantly threaten disruptions, and eventually turn into a dominant position.

It requires wrist control, which is greatly enabled by a strength advantage, so in that respect yeah it’s a strong man move.

yeh, i never understood the kimura being a strong man move to be honest

Like most of Jiu Jitsu, it takes strength when the technique is not good. Otherwise it’s one of the most versatile and effective positions in Jiu Jitsu.

If ‘Kimura is a strong man’s move’ was the old myth which is being phased out, then the new myth might be ‘Kimura is a side control move’. Kimuras can be grabbed from literally just about anywhere, top or bottom, and be highly effective as a submission in & of itself, or just used as a teleporter to the back, or as a sweep from bottom to top. So, not only does a kimura not have to start from side control, but kimuras are actually a very effective way to *achieve* side control.

Agree with this 100%. I have the most success with it from bottom half and north/south but you can hit it from almost every position

Back