Upright row

lolmit

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Does ‘upright row’ is legit exercise or can cause any future problems with the middle delts?
I’m perform it with ez barbell.
I just saw couple videos about it in youtube and trying to understand if it series or fake news.

More of a problem for your supraspinatus in terms of potential fraying of the tendon/impingement over time causing issues with your rotator cuff. Your medial delts will be fine. In theory the potential for injury is higher than with other movements since you're putting your shoulder in kind of provocative position already, loading it with a bunch of weight, and cranking out reps. Any exercise can be good or bad depending on personal tolerance. It's up to you to decide if the risk is worth it and if you're able perform it pain free and with good form.

Personally I've had impingement in the past from other exercises so for me, dumbbell laterals are the safest way to train my medial delts. I've learned that upright rows are not for me. However, your experience may be different. Best of luck.

If you really want to do have a wide grip not a narrow one. It will be less stressful for your shoulders

Is it a legit exercise? - I would say yes.
Can it cause problems? - I would say yes, but I would also say that this is not unique to the upright row.

What is it that you want to know if it's serious or fake news?

I'd say that if you can perform them with no pain and they feel OK, then they are just another variation to have in your arsenal. If you feel pain, try taking some weight off, or try a different grip (different widths and spots on the EZ bar felt different for me) and make sure you're doing them in a somewhat controlled manner. If you progress slowly, you should, in general, adapt. I don’t think raising your arms is some tremendously unnatural dangerous movement that you should try to avoid or anything. If none of that works and they are always painful, then they're probably not worth it for you.

I've done them on GPP days for multiple high rep sets (8-20 reps) 1 or 2 reps shy of failure with no issues. I've noticed I get a nasty trap pump from them. If I felt pain I just took some weight off or played with the grip and that usually took care of it for me.

Last edited:
They seem to be more prone to injuring lifters than similar movements, and there are more effective ways of strengthening shoulders/traps IMO. I wouldn't do them unless I had a very specific reason to.

There's no reason to do these. If you want to hit shoulders do side laterals, for traps do shrugs.

Damn, I've been wasting my time. I wish you would have said something sooner!
Wouldn't call it a waste of time unless you destroyed your shoulders and can't train now.
I do upright rows with a barbell, dumbbells, cable machine, and even bands. I enjoy them but if they're precarious for a person there are many other options that are equally effective.

Wouldn't call it a waste of time unless you destroyed your shoulders and can't train now.
I do upright rows with a barbell, dumbbells, cable machine, and even bands. I enjoy them but if they're precarious for a person there are many other options that are equally effective.

I’ve never really done them. That said, I don’t see what a lifter could get out them that couldn’t be done equally/better with cleans, OHP, and similar lifts. Not to mention all of the anecdotal evidence I’ve heard about being more prone to leading to shoulder injuries.

I’ve never really done them. That said, I don’t see what a lifter could get out them that couldn’t be done equally/better with cleans, OHP, and similar lifts. Not to mention all of the anecdotal evidence I’ve heard about being more prone to leading to shoulder injuries.
It's essentially a muscle clean pull. I also never go above my sternum with the weight regardless of the variation. Going to your chin with a narrow grip is begging for shoulder problems.

Definitely not for everyone, depends a lot on which type of acromion you have and other factors leading to risk of impingement. Surely contributed to my own shoulder issues.

My orthopaedic surgeon once said he should give me a stack of business cards to hand out to the guys I see doing them at the gym so he could ensure he would be able to afford to put his daughters into a good college.

Back