Uriah intentional fouls.

rtodd

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Is it just me or did it seem like Uriah Hall was overwhelmed , emotionally and psychologically broke. and started cheating?

That head it was shades of Victor Ortizand the cage grabbing was rampant.

Was definitely annoying how he kept gripping outside the top of the cage

I think he was just broken and knew he wasn’t winning the fight. Plus it looked like he was having vision issues out of one of his eyes. Kept blinking. He was done by the end of the 3rd and was just hanging on to survive.

Surprised nobody mentioned the clearly intentional headbutt Uriah attempted in rd 4 or 5

Found it:
ymtgCSR.gif

I think he was just broken and knew he wasn’t winning the fight. Plus it looked like he was having vision issues out of one of his eyes. Kept blinking. He was done by the end of the 3rd and was just hanging on to survive.
Aye, that's how I saw it. I'll add that, to his credit, he was swinging HARD in the fifth, knowing he needed a KO or bust. Great showing for Sean though.

Hmm good counter-point. It's tough to pick a side here.

I think that both men's reactions kind of shows that both messed up and they were ok with it.

Glove grab is worse than a headbutt IMO. I reckon Uruah threw it because he thought Strickland got him with one earlier.

I have to say I was pretty unimpressed with the two of them as a whole. Neither is going anywhere near a title.
I didn't realise Uriah's age was already up there and Strickland is just a Diaz bro with the ability to check leg kicks and less finishing ability against top guys.
They should have made Rockhold vs Hall to give him the chance to beat all those previous champs in order. Either Rockhold wins and makes it back into ranked comp or Hall wins and then gets beaten in his next fight instead.

Glove grab is worse than a headbutt IMO. I reckon Uruah threw it because he thought Strickland got him with one earlier.

I have to say I was pretty unimpressed with the two of them as a whole. Neither is going anywhere near a title.
I didn't realise Uriah's age was already up there and Strickland is just a Diaz bro with the ability to check leg kicks and less finishing ability against top guys.
They should have made Rockhold vs Hall to give him the chance to beat all those previous champs in order. Either Rockhold wins and makes it back into ranked comp or Hall wins and then gets beaten in his next fight instead.

Debatable. Headbutts end a lot of fights. a good butt against the brow ridge is a sure way to receive severe damage that alters the whole fight. A glove grab is bad but I haven't seen much damage done with it.

1. There was no glove grab, Sean was controlling his wrist and Uriah went for the desperate headbutt
2. What headbutt did Sean land? If you are referring to when Uriah got dropped in rd 3 they showed on the replay it was a behind the ear punch that hurt him.
3. How the fuck is a glove grab worse than a headbutt <45>

Keep an eye on Seans hand. Here's a better quality video:

Last edited:
Debatable. Headbutts end a lot of fights. a good butt against the brow ridge is a sure way to receive severe damage that alters the whole fight. A glove grab is bad but I haven't seen much damage done with it.

In a sport context a headbutt will end in a DQ win for the opponent or at least a point being taken if it is enough to stop the fight because it is obvious and intentional.
A glove grab is used to land other offense and is done either in panic or the knowledge that you might get away with it and possibly win the fight as a result.

In a straight up fight the headbutt is much worse. My argument would be half these guys don't wear a gi in training at all and it's rare you ever do any striking in a gi.
The choice to grab inside the glove is an active choice to go outside the rules unless you are Tim Kennedy who probably drills strikes whilst grabbing sleeves etc.

It led to stool gate. I was looking for a video of that and found all this.
I forgot how many fights Romero cheated in lol.

1. There was no glove grab, Sean was controlling his wrist and Uriah went for the desperate headbutt
2. What headbutt did Sean land? If you are referring to when Uriah got dropped in rd 3 they showed on the replay it was a behind the ear punch that hurt him.
3. How the fuck is a glove grab worse than a headbutt <45>

Keep an eye on Seans hand. Here's a better quality video:

It looks to me like his hand slips inside and he readjusts back to the wrist grip. I might be wrong. neither seemed to care. Strickland didn't care about the headbutt either.
Strickland didn't headbutt Uriah, I think he believed he did prior to that takedown. It was a great punch behind the ear.

Obviously prime Mark Coleman headbutts that finsih a fight are worse than a glove grab.
My opinion on why it is worse is based off the fact you can't really accidently continue to grab a glove, but you can accidentl;y headbutt someone.
It would come down to the intention of the foul and the outcome.

I linked Yoel Romero and Tim Kennedy above for an example. There is no reason in MMA for a hand to go inside a glove especially leading to strikes.
A headbutt, like a groin strike can happen by accident.

"Butt against the brow" sounds like a crust punk band or something

It looks to me like his hand slips inside and he readjusts back to the wrist grip. I might be wrong. neither seemed to care. Strickland didn't care about the headbutt either.
Strickland didn't headbutt Uriah, I think he believed he did prior to that takedown. It was a great punch behind the ear.

Obviously prime Mark Coleman headbutts that finsih a fight are worse than a glove grab.
My opinion on why it is worse is based off the fact you can't really accidently continue to grab a glove, but you can accidentl;y headbutt someone.
It would come down to the intention of the foul and the outcome.

I linked Yoel Romero and Tim Kennedy above for an example. There is no reason in MMA for a hand to go inside a glove especially leading to strikes.
A headbutt, like a groin strike can happen by accident.
It always depends on the context, In general I think a clear headbutt like that is worse than if Strickland had grabbed his glove(which he didn't).
Also Strickland is a savage and doesn't give a fuck, doesn't making Uriah's blatant cheating any better.

Back