International US pulls THAAD and Patriot missile defense system from Saudi Arabia.

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
- The US has removed its most advanced missile defense system, the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system, and Patriot missile batteries from Saudi Arabia.

- Houthis are still launching drones and missiles at Saudi, as recently as the first week of September.

“Perceptions matter whether or not they’re rooted in a cold, cold reality. And the perception is very clear that the U.S. is not as committed to the Gulf as it used to be in the views of many people in decision-making authority in the region,” said Kristian Ulrichsen, a research fellow at the James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy at Rice University.

“From the Saudi point of view, they now see Obama, Trump and Biden — three successive presidents — taking decisions that signify to some extent an abandonment.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/11/missile-defense-saudi-arabia-511320

Saudis claim to intercept Houthis missiles and drones
https://www.reuters.com/world/middl...oils-missile-attack-oil-region-tv-2021-09-04/

---

Good news. I am all for ditching Saudi Arabia.

I wonder how Biden's opponents will label this action.

- The US has removed its most advanced missile defense system, the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system, and Patriot missile batteries from Saudi Arabia.

- Houthis are still launching drones and missiles at Saudi, as recently as the first week of September.

“Perceptions matter whether or not they’re rooted in a cold, cold reality. And the perception is very clear that the U.S. is not as committed to the Gulf as it used to be in the views of many people in decision-making authority in the region,” said Kristian Ulrichsen, a research fellow at the James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy at Rice University.

“From the Saudi point of view, they now see Obama, Trump and Biden — three successive presidents — taking decisions that signify to some extent an abandonment.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/11/missile-defense-saudi-arabia-511320

Saudis claim to intercept Houthis missiles and drones
https://www.reuters.com/world/middl...oils-missile-attack-oil-region-tv-2021-09-04/

---

Good news. I am all for ditching Saudi Arabia.

Good. Fuck 'em <3>

Good maybe? My problem is SA sucks and I hate them but if we allow them to get close to Russia and China for deals, we give them the middle east

Good maybe? My problem is SA sucks and I hate them but if we allow them to get close to Russia and China for deals, we give them the middle east

The US should play very hard to get, give SA the impression that we really don't care about them, forcing them to make major concessions and payments to entice the US to keep supporting them. We could continue to support them if they make some serious concessions, but I much rather the US allied with Iran.

Russia and China won't be able to match the US and Western Europe for oil refining and extraction tech, and defense tech.

Good point. The Saudis are like any other whores; they'll just go looking for a new pimp/sugar daddy.

That said, the Chinese won't be anywhere near as gentle with them as America was;)

The US should play very hard to get, give SA the impression that we really don't care about them, forcing them to make major concessions and payments to entice the US to keep supporting them. We could continue to support them if they make some serious concessions, but I much rather the US allied with Iran.

Russia and China won't be able to match the US and Western Europe for oil refining and extraction tech, and defense tech.
I agree. I think there needs to be an actual platform. And we should play hard ball with them. When gas prices went up in 08 or whenever Obama or W should have called and been like remember when we didn’t invade you for 9-11? Yeah, now turn the pumps on full throttle

But I think s coherent policy needs to be taken and it needs as you said to combine the carrot and the stick plus playing hard to get
I don’t want democracy there, but there are other things to negotiate

Good point. The Saudis are like any other whores; they'll just go looking for a new pimp/sugar daddy.

That said, the Chinese won't be anywhere near as gentle with them as America was;)
Oh yeah. We were and are too nice.

Oil prices and inflation have a cause and effect relationship. Prices go down, inflation eases.

Biden has been asking for opec to raise production for a while now... so let's see which way prices go. I bet down for a bit. Unless of course a big saudi oil facility gets droned... Then they go up, way up lol.

Good so now if there is war in that dump area Saudis will be more screwed

How about ally with neither? Iran isnt good either. When will you fools learn? We need to stop supporting garbage

Iran seems cooler than Saudi Arabia. Care more about science and engineering. Maybe we can actually make peace with them once we stop supporting the despots in Saudi Arabia.

This is good. The only thing that worries me is if we cut US production and absolutely no real allies our economy could be in serious trouble.

Back