International Vaccine Tourism: Wealthy Latin Americans Flock to the U.S for Coveted Immunization Shots

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
Great news for American freedom fighters who are both against Herd Immunity AND any kind of vaccination record-keeping: shots that were made and ordered for them are now going to wealthy Vaccine Tourists instead of going to waste. :)

Too bad Texas is basically giving away their allotted stash for free though, these rich tourists can surely pay the full price for these top-shelf MRNA vaccines made in the USA.

Latin American Vaccine Tourists Flock to Texas for Coveted COVID Jabs
By David Agren and Francisco Alvarado | Apr. 22, 2021​

210421-agren-texas-tourist-vax-tease_kdkc36

Latin America’s monied and middle classes are flocking in ever-increasing numbers to Texas for a much-coveted vaccine jab, which remains elusive in their home countries.

María, a 38-year-old psychologist in Mexico City who spoke to The Daily Beast under a pseudonym, was tired of waiting for the government-run vaccination program to announce her age group. She also worried about her 68-year-old father who suffers high blood pressure and is overweight—both COVID-19 comorbidities—and was diagnosed with pericardial effusion.

So Maria decided to travel to San Antonio with her husband, father, and father-in-law for vaccinations. She stayed with friends, received her first dose of Pfizer on March 1, and returned three weeks later for her second.

“[The health-care workers] were super nice,” said Maria. “And we only had to give them our [Mexican] passports as identification.” Maria subsequently advised 15 friends on getting vaccinated in San Antonio.

“For me, it was worth pushing up the process and, having gone, a lot of friends—many, many friends—are now going, too,” she said. “Four really good friends went this weekend. And today we were making appointments for another friend.”

Although Mexico was the first country to receive vaccines in Latin America, its campaign subsequently sputtered due to production glitches, crushing demand, and a policy of not vaccinating all medical workers. Mexico has only fully vaccinated 2.6 percent of its population of 130 million—with much of Latin America vaccinating at the same rate.

Official figures on the number of Latin Americans heading north for vaccinations have not been reported, and—in an effort to avoid the wrath of a populist president quick to brand opponents as “snobs”—many prefer discretion when speaking of their vaccine tourism adventures. But the signs are all there: airfares to Texas from Mexican cities have surged, and WhatsApp groups dedicated to trading tips on getting vaccinated abroad have been formed in recent weeks, according to details shared with The Daily Beast.

Texas has apparently become a particularly popular destination for vaccine tourists, likely because the state doesn’t require proof of residency for receiving a vaccination. University Health in San Antonio—where María received her vaccination—now allows patients to register for their jabs with a Canadian or Mexican address. With U.S. customs, Maria advises people to be truthful about their motives for their trip, saying, “The problem is when you lie and tell them, ‘I’m not here for a vaccination.’”

A 40-year-old restauranteur who owns a bakery and a breakfast cafe in Mexico City told The Daily Beast that he and his wife traveled to Dallas last week, where they received their first dose of the Moderna vaccine at a local Walmart. The restaurant owner requested anonymity because he didn’t want to jeopardize their appointments for the second doses in three weeks.

“It was super fast,” the restauranteur said during a phone interview Tuesday morning. “No one was ahead of us. From what I understand, a lot of people in Texas don’t want the vaccine.” He and his wife returned to Mexico City the same day—and local news outlets have also reported Mexicans flying in via private plane to Lubbock and Amarillo, where they are transported to a local CVS and a government-run vaccination site, respectively.

“I interact with a lot of people on a daily basis,” the restauranteur said. “I want the vaccine to protect my family. Flying to Texas for the vaccine is not something people speak about publicly around here, but it’s happening. If anyone asks me, I would tell them to go.”

Mexico’s COVID czar Hugo López-Gatell says Mexicans aged 50 to 59 should be vaccinated by the end of June. But the restauranteur “didn’t want to wait anymore,” adding that he thought the “the Chinese and Russian vaccines” available in Mexico “are not as effective as the ones made in the U.S.”

The restauranteur said he has a friend who is charging Mexican citizens to sign them up for vaccine appointments via Walmart’s online registration website. “For me, he did it for free,” the 40-year-old said. “It’s a service business that he launched.”

María said she started thinking of a U.S. vaccine trip after hearing López-Gatell—who was stricken with the virus earlier this year and was seen strolling his neighborhood while still infected—muse about combining different vaccinations for the first and second doses of the vaccine. She didn’t like the sound of that.

Then there was the sense that her age group wouldn’t be called for many more months. “Obviously it wasn’t going to be our turn until 2022,” she said. “I’m 38 so it wouldn’t be my turn until the very end so if I had the chance to go [to the U.S.] I was going to do it. And it’s not illegal.”

Health analysts say it’s not unusual for the rich and influential to seek medical treatment in the United States—though many middle-class Mexicans are making the trip, too. A Monterrey professional soccer team traveled to Dallas earlier this month for vaccinations, according to Mexican media reports.

Jaime Square, a professor in the northeastern city of Tampico, got vaccinated in late December in El Paso, Texas. But he says it was luck; his son works as a physician and some of the staff at his clinic declined their vaccinations—leaving leftover doses for Square and his wife. He spent an extra month there to get the second dose of the Moderna vaccine.

Mexico’s vaccination campaign only arrived in Square’s hometown last week. Lines of seniors formed 24 hours in advance he said and the line of cars for the drive-through vaccines, he said, “was the longest I’ve ever seen.”

An American expat in the Lake Chapala region—home to a large population of U.S. and Canadian retirees—described a similar situation. “It was an early morning disaster: long lines for four hours and some people were turned away. The system to verify people was slow and all that to get the Chinese vaccine,” the expat said. “Some gringos want to bail out of their first shot of Sinovac and switch.”

His wife traveled to Houston, where she used to live, to get her jab. The expat had booked an appointment at a Walmart pharmacy across the border in suburban San Diego for his own vaccination, but wasn’t able to get it after the Johnson & Johnson vaccine was pulled from the market.

The expat, a retired military officer, later found out about a drive-through vaccination operation in nearby Guadalajara and was promptly vaccinated. “It was the best you could get,” he said. “It took 60 minutes and there was a free Macarena dance show,” he said of the boisterous scene of staff dancing as they directed traffic.

But Mexico’s vaccine strategy has raised some uncomfortable questions aimed at Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador, who was vaccinated on television on April 20. He didn’t wear a mask during the vaccination, which was applied by military personnel. Health Secretary Hugo Alcocer hovered by him, also maskless, despite being a prominent physician prior to entering politics.

On the same day as Mexico’s president was vaccinated, the Health Secretariat released excess mortality figures, which put the country’s true COVID-19 death toll at 444,000. While the government has already started vaccinating teachers—a key constituency courted by politicians ahead of elections this summer—many workers in private health facilities are still waiting for their turn.

“Many of our parents and grandparents are vaccinated, which is great. But there are still first-line health-care personnel to be vaccinated... and you start vaccinating teachers? Leaves you wondering what this is all about,” said a neurologist in Monterrey, who plans on traveling to Texas for a vaccination when their U.S. visa is renewed. “We have the highest physician mortality due to COVID-19.”

The neurologist shared the details of a colleague, who said in a private Facebook post from her vaccination site in Texas that she had “begged to get a Sinovac dose in Mexico,” but was denied.

It’s not only Mexicans who are traveling to the U.S. for vaccinations. Carlos, a journalist from Colombia who spoke to The Daily Beast using an alias, bought a flight to Houston with his girlfriend in April to get his vaccine.

“I went to Texas cause they said it was legal there for ‘any person over 16.’ Unlike Florida where they said it was for residents only, said Carlos. “With the possibility that at some point the U.S. might cancel flights from Colombia, I decided to do it ASAP.”

He added: “If the government of Colombia is not going to get me a vaccine soon and I have the resources to get one, then I might as well solve the problem myself. I'm not going to sit around here waiting for the government to solve the problem for me.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/latin-american-vaccine-tourists-flock-to-texas-for-coveted-covid-jabs

Last edited:
Well if they have the desire and money to come get the vaccine good for them. Neither side of this debate should get shamed for their decision to get or not get the vaccine.

Uhhhh..... good I guess?

My capitalist heart is aching to see a missed opportunity for the U.S to sell our unwanted vaccine stash at full price to these wealthy tourists, and use the proceeds to benefits the American people in other ventures.

My capitalist heart is aching to see a missed opportunity for the U.S to sell our unwanted vaccine stash at full price to these wealthy tourists, and use the proceeds to benefits the American people in other ventures.

It wont benefit the masses. Man have you not realized that yearly tens of billions are avoided in taxes by big pharma and hundrend billion surely by all big corporate world? Not only that but the energy giants destroy our environment, and deplete a finite resource. Should be owned by the state. Also the Russians and Chinese have the latin american and african market on lock regarding Vaccines because the US and West is too expensive. Especially Russians several other nations will produce theirs.

You are such a good guy. Don't forget to line up for your shot every year my good boy :)

Also the Russians and Chinese have the latin american and african market on lock regarding Vaccines because the US and West is too expensive. Especially Russians several other nations will produce theirs.

Its not a money issue but more of production, they are favoring US/Europe over countries such as Canada. China is making a huge economic play here, exporting most of their production their influence keeps growing.

Several cousins, aunts, and uncles have already come into the US to get their shots.

Operation warp speed is a success I see

Trump could have made even more of a difference if he'd let media watch him get the vaccine.

cant they ask for ID ?

The goal is for as many people as possible to get vaccinated. Setting requirements goes against that premise.l

I hadn't gotten vaccinated just out of pure laziness until they did a walk-in event a block away from where I live.

So the Sheeple from Latin America have come to America to get injected with some 5G microchips that Texans know better than to take

Several cousins, aunts, and uncles have already come into the US to get their shots.

That is true his daughter did

Trump could have made even more of a difference if he'd let media watch him get the vaccine.

Pop-up COVID-19 vaccine site now open for tourists in NYC
By Rebecca Solomon

TIMES SQUARE, Manhattan — In an effort to get more people vaccinated, tourists can now visit the city that never sleeps and walk away with a COVID-19 vaccine.

Previously, only New Yorkers were allowed to get the shot in the city. Now, no appointments needed and anyone can walk into the any of the city’s vaccine pop up sites to get protected against the virus. All you need is proof showing you’re at least 18 years old.

The city’s health department is authorized to launch the mobile vaccination pop-ups at iconic tourist spots across the five boroughs, in an attempt to speed up the return to normalcy.

“It’s right for us to be doing that, especially reaching that apex of how many people we were expecting to get that vaccine, so the more people that can come and get it is great,” said Thomas Gatt from Texas.

One got their shot visiting from our neighbors to the south.

“I will never forget this opportunity and this kindness from New York people,” said Francisco Parral from Mexico.

About 60% of New Yorkers who are 18 years of age or older have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine and more than 1 million doses have been administered over the past seven days.

Each site is offering one of the three vaccine options — Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson.

https://pix11.com/news/local-news/pop-up-covid-19-vaccine-site-now-open-for-tourists-in-nyc/amp/

'Want the COVID-19 vaccine? Have a U.S. visa?' Latinos travel north for the shot

7GVMIB7LENNLROYPTMJEMSL55E.jpg

"Want the COVID-19 vaccine? Have a U.S. visa? Contact us," reads a travel agency advertisement, offering deals to Mexicans to fly to the United States to get inoculated.

From Mexico to far-flung Argentina, thousands of Latin Americans are booking flights to the United States to take advantage of one of the world's most successful vaccination campaigns, as rollouts in their own countries sputter.

Latin America is one of the regions worst affected by the coronavirus pandemic, with the death toll set to pass 1 million this month, and many do not want to wait any longer for their turn to get vaccinated.

Some people are going it alone, while others have tapped travel agencies, which have responded by offering packages that arrange the vaccine appointment, flights, hotel stay and even offer extras such as city and shopping tours.

Gloria Sanchez, 66, and her husband, Angel Menendez 69, traveled in late April to Las Vegas to get Johnson & Johnson's (JNJ.N) single dose vaccine.

"We don't trust the public health services in this country," said Sanchez, now back in Mexico. "If we hadn't traveled to the United States where I felt a little more comfortable I wouldn't have gotten vaccinated here."

A travel agent in Mexico City organized the trip for them and an associate in Las Vegas handled things on the U.S. side, Sanchez said.

The U.S.-based associate signed them up for a vaccine appointment, then drove them to a Las Vegas convention center where they presented their Mexican passports and received their shots.

"We decided to make it a vacation and we went for a whole week, walked like crazy, ate really expensive but good food, and did some shopping," said Sanchez.

As demand has boomed, flight prices from Mexico to the United States have risen an average of 30%-40% since mid-March, said Rey Sanchez, who runs travel agency RSC Travel World.

"There are thousands of Mexicans and thousands of Latin Americans who have gone to the United States to get vaccinated," he said, adding that the top destinations have been Houston, Dallas, Miami and Las Vegas.

Reuters was unable to find official data on how many Latin Americans are traveling to the United States to get vaccinated. Travelers do not generally state vaccination as a reason to travel.

But U.S. cities have caught on to the trend, which is ushering much needed business into cash-strapped hotels, restaurants and other service activities.

"Welcome to New York, your vaccine is waiting for you! We'll administer the Johnson & Johnson vaccine at iconic sites across our city," New York City's government announced on Twitter on May 6.

The U.S. embassy in Peru recently advised residents on Twitter that travelers could visit the United States for medical treatment, including vaccinations.

Latin Americans who had traveled on a U.S. tourist visa that Reuters spoke to said they were able to obtain shots with IDs from their home countries.

As far south as Argentina, travel agencies are selling vaccination tourism trips.

An advertisement in Buenos Aires details the estimated cost of getting vaccinated in Miami: air ticket $2,000, hotel for a week $550, food $350, car rental $500, vaccine $0. For a total of $3,400.

NO HOPE OF A VACCINE SOON

While initially it was mostly wealthy Latin Americans looking to travel, increasingly people with more modest means are making bookings. For many, the cost of lengthy flights makes it a major undertaking.

"I'm getting money together to travel to California in June," said a worker at a car parts store in Lima, who asked not to be named for fear it could jeopardize his travel plans. "Considering how things are going here, there's no hope of a vaccine shot soon."

The slow rollout of vaccinations in most Latin American countries was a common reason cited for traveling to the United States, said Sanchez.

With little to no infrastructure to make vaccines domestically, campaigns in Latin America have been hampered by supply delays and shortages. The United States has administered nearly 262 million vaccine doses, some 2.3 times the number of shots given in all of Latin America, which has roughly twice the population, according to figures from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Our World in Data.

Distrust in vaccination campaigns in Latin America is also a factor, said Sanchez.

Reports of batches of fake doses being seized by authorities or the required second dose not being available when it was time are some of the reasons Latin Americans gave for their distrust.

Vaccine tourism has fueled a jump in air travel to the United States, with fares for some last-minute flights doubling or even tripling since January, even as airlines increase capacity, according to Rene Armas Maes, commercial vice president at MIDAS Aviation, a London-based consultancy.

LATAM Airlines Group (LTM.SN), the region's largest carrier, said on Thursday it was seeing increased demand from South Americans seeking to travel to the United States to get vaccinated against the coronavirus.

Aeromexico (AEROMEX.MX) said passenger traffic between Mexico and the United States increased 35% from March to April.

And American Airlines (AAL.O) also said it had seen demand growing rapidly from parts of Latin America in recent months and it had increased capacity, particularly to Colombia, Ecuador and Mexico.

"We're matching the increased demand in many of these markets, with additional frequencies, new routes or with the use of widebody aircraft, resulting in more capacity," said American Airlines.

For 29-year-old Giuliana Colameo, the chance to get vaccinated was a relief after she and her boyfriend in Mexico City were both infected by the coronavirus in 2020.

They traveled to New York City where they got vaccinated at a pharmacy last month. She said they were the only two people getting the shots.

"When they give you the vaccine it's like you almost cry. It's a relief: it gives you hope," said Colameo. "I feel very happy I did it and hopefully more people can do it."

https://www.reuters.com/world/ameri...us-visa-latinos-travel-north-shot-2021-05-11/

Last edited:
If yall only knew how often Americans run to Mexico for the cheap but effective dental work.

There is a dentist in Juarez that is quite popular.

Aint nothing to be hot about, it's all in the game yo.

As tourists they’re already going to be spending money in the US in some capacity anyways, still a win for our economy.

Como siempre los putos paises latinos la cagan como siempre. No pueden ni hacer algo tan facil bien. Puta todo el pinche dinero que se perdio para la economia local en la gente hiendo al extranjero para las vacunas. Que verguenza y fracasados son nuestros paises de segunda.

Back