Minowafanatic

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Quick Summary
Pros: Very similar design to Grant gloves
High quality metallic red leather
Good wrist support

Cons: Terrible quality control (read review/see pics)
Padding protrudes visibly through the leather over the backhand/fingers
Overly stiff thumb padding keeps your thumb too straight​

Ordering

https://www.valourstrike.com/products/pro-vintage-leather-boxing-gloves

I bought these gloves in 16oz from the above link at the beginning of December (it's now the end of February as I write this). At the time, they were selling for £70 on the website. The price has now gone up. I used the voucher code "IN10" to take 10% off and shipping within the UK was free, meaning I paid £63 total for the gloves. I got a tracking number email and received the gloves in a couple working days.

Initial Impression

P1080201.jpg

In the picture above, you can see the size/profile of the glove when compared with 16oz Ring To Cage C17 2.0 and 12oz Winning gloves. I have made alterations to the thumbs in the pictures above. You can see a picture of what they look like brand new further down.

Out of the box, the metallic red leather feels supple and has a nice genuine leather smell to it. It has proven durable and doesn't wrinkle or blemish as much as the Ring to Cage metallic gold (the only other full metallic leather gloves I've ever owned). It looks very good in person too. Just going off what I've seen online, it seems to have a similar appearance to the metallic red that Sabas uses. @sryan79 said it's similar to UMA gloves.

They are pretty obviously Grant clones with the design. It has the same triple cuff and the padding used along the cuff of the gloves has a very similar feel. It provides good wrist support and the gloves generally have a nice shape to them with balanced weight distribution. They also use the same kind of rough canvas lining that Grant gloves have, which I personally dislike. I'd prefer if it was a regular polyester/satin kind of lining. The lining dries quickly. They also have welted seams, like Grants.

A multi-layered latex foam padding is used over the striking area. The padding throughout is stiff although it has softened up a bit. I think they could be used for sparring but they definitely wouldn't be the friendliest sparring gloves. I remember Grant gloves as being slightly softer and generally more malleable too although it has been several years since I had a pair. It has good protection and pop when used on the bags.

The left hand glove weighed 15.6oz and the right hand glove weighed 15.8oz.

Problems

Through the first month of using these gloves and physically manipulating them at home to try and break them in, I noticed the following points:

- The lining ripped immediately at the fingertips in both gloves, so my fingers are now pressed directly onto the leather.

- I then undid the laces and opened the glove up and there were rips along the lining further down in the gloves too, exposing the foam:

lining-rip.png

Valour Strike through Facebook said that this was part of the design, which is bizarre.

- The lining and attached foam wasn't attached to the leather of the glove properly at the tips of either thumb.

- The foam padding over the backhand and fingertips begins to protrude visibly through the leather, as I've tried to show below. I consider this just to be a minor aesthetic fault:

P1080214.jpg

- I found the thumbs in both gloves to be very uncomfortable. Everyone has different hand shapes etc so that might not be the case for others, and a friend tried them on and seemed to think they were fine. A single-sheet foam is used over the thumbs and, for my hands at least, it was very oppressive as it doesn't let me bend my thumb in forming a fist. I couldn't do anything to break it in and make the thumb comfortable for myself, and so, with all the lining rips and it not being stitched properly at the tips of the thumbs, I ended up just yanking out all of the foam/lining at the thumbs and this alleviated things greatly for me, and made it much more comfortable. I cut the thumb attachments too, as it was very slightly too short on one hand for me.

- The stitching along the welted seam where the base of the thumb meets the cuff has popped out:

thumb1.png

Considering all these issues, I contacted Valour Strike and was sent a replacement without needing to return my first pair.

Problems with the second pair

P1080212.jpg

The replacement pair I received has many obvious defects, and is worse than the first pair.

Its problems are the following:

- The left hand glove is 14.5oz and the right hand glove is 15.5oz.

- The left hand glove has a blob of misshapen padding poking through near the pinky knuckle:

P1080216.jpg

- The lining isn't stitched properly at the fingertips on the left hand glove.

- The lining and attached foam wasn't attached to the leather of the right hand glove properly at the tip of the thumb, like how both gloves were in the first pair.

- Both gloves have rips in the lining on the inside of the glove near the thumb entrance and its opposite side, like the first pair.

- The foam padding over the backhand protrudes visibly through the leather like the first pair.

There's also less room for my long fingers in the second pair than the first, and they're generally tighter fitting and the thumb is more uncomfortable for me. For that reason I've not bothered trying to use them and will just give them a friend.

I told Valour Strike about these issues but I said that I didn't want a replacement pair. I think they would've sent me another one though if I'd asked for it, but I lost faith in getting a pair that I'd like so I just didn't bother.

Verdict

The price is appealing, as Grant-like gloves like New Sporting (which are maybe just Grants in a different logo) or Sabas Prime gloves cost nearly twice as much for the UK market as these do. But, the quality control is very poor.

I think these have the potential to be good gloves if not for the very poor quality control, and maybe the thumbs. It's possible others might like the thumb, for me though they're the second most uncomfortable thumb in a pair of 16oz boxing gloves that I've ever experienced, after Cleto Reyes training gloves.

I personally would not recommend this pair of gloves, based on my experiences detailed above.

Last edited:
@sryan79 also bought these gloves and said:

Just wanted to post a quick review about the Valour Strike Vintage gloves (cannot make a new thread so figured I would do it here).

When I got the gloves first the right glove had the liner torn away from the finger compartment and grip bar area. I contacted Valour Strike and sent them a few pics. They sent me a new pair no questions asked. A++ for customer service.

First impressions where the leather smell is super nice. Even my wife commented how nice the gloves smelled. Stitching is really good with no one obvious flaws. The laces are a tad short but no big deal.

Weight of the gloves is marked as 16oz. One was 16.45 and the other 16.10 with laces in. Pretty darn close so no complaints there.

Gloves fit nice and snug. I have average size hands (5’10” male). They were comfortable with no pinching.

I have only used them on the bag so far and enjoyed them. Wrist protection was good. The padding is still pretty firm and found my knuckles hurt on some power shots. Not a big deal and I am certain the padding will loosen up. I will not be sparring with them until then.

So far no real complaints. Very happy with my purchase, especially for the price and level of customer service I received. Shipping to Canada was only $25, which considering New Sporting wants $60 and Casanova $50, is a bargain. That was to ship gloves and shin guards.

Here are some pics of the gloves along side my UMA IR gloves.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/post-your-gloves-gear.1468485/page-106#post-147962557

So Sherdog peeps have had 4 pairs of these gloves so far it seems, 3 gloves with defects and 1 of them good, one Sherdogger comfortable with the thumb position and one Sherdogger not.

They just look like branded versions of those gazillions of unbranded customisable Grant clones you can order on eBay... I take it they ultimately originate from Pakistan and they're generally rubbish.

It is disturbing to see how they just send deffective gloves to people and think nobody will notice or complain about it.

Great review man! I was going to ask if these were the brand that might have the same manufacturer as Noble because of their good leather / bad craftsmanship similarities and the same padding issue, but noticed you’ve said the same things the same dude I got the info from said on Youtube, are you Maravilla Boxeo on youtube? Lol!

I can’t remember the exact thread but I wrote about the intentions of investors who make investments in good materials for a good product but it’s just the origin of the gloves have no background to decently make them. I atleast respect the intentions of the company in investing in good leather etc. And you can tell they are willing to improve in the gloves and hopefully they do but it’s tough to tell, either the people that make them do it so much that they get it right, or they still make a crappy glove and need to hit the road before the owners go broke.

I wonder what would be the next move for companies like these if no improvements are met, maybe a move to taiwan? Thailand? Who knows but atleast the intention is there unlike folks like New Sporting who don’t know honesty if it hit them in the face with Margarito’s loaded gloves :mad:.

Also what tone of red do you consider the gloves? To be Mettalic red they seem kind of opaque almost turning to a mamey- reddish copper.

Great review man! I was going to ask if these were the brand that might have the same manufacturer as Noble because of their good leather / bad craftsmanship similarities and the same padding issue, but noticed you’ve said the same things the same dude I got the info from said on Youtube, are you Maravilla Boxeo on youtube? Lol!

I can’t remember the exact thread but I wrote about the intentions of investors who make investments in good materials for a good product but it’s just the origin of the gloves have no background to decently make them. I atleast respect the intentions of the company in investing in good leather etc. And you can tell they are willing to improve in the gloves and hopefully they do but it’s tough to tell, either the people that make them do it so much that they get it right, or they still make a crappy glove and need to hit the road before the owners go broke.

I wonder what would be the next move for companies like these if no improvements are met, maybe a move to taiwan? Thailand? Who knows but atleast the intention is there unlike folks like New Sporting who don’t know honesty if it hit them in the face with Margarito’s loaded gloves :mad:.

Also what tone of red do you consider the gloves? To be Mettalic red they seem kind of opaque almost turning to a mamey- reddish copper.
Yup that's me on youtube; I'm not sure about the tone of red. My camera is pretty bad though. If you check out the Fit2Box review he did of them then I think the colour you see in the video is pretty true to life.

I think the dude on youtube who pointed out that out about Noble/Valour both having that weird visible padding protrusion issue thingy, he is the other Sherdogger who bought these gloves who I tagged previously. I'm not sure but I don't think I've seen that on any gloves before.

Yeah, that was me about that mentioned the Noble and Valour Strike having the same padding issue. I have never seen it on any other gloves either.

After using the gloves for a bit I just don’t find I reach for them at all. I prefer my UMA IR gloves, which are much better quality I think. Stock gloves including shipping to North America, UMA is about the same cost and a superior product. Just my $0.02

Yup that's me on youtube; I'm not sure about the tone of red. My camera is pretty bad though. If you check out the Fit2Box review he did of them then I think the colour you see in the video is pretty true to life.

I think the dude on youtube who pointed out that out about Noble/Valour both having that weird visible padding protrusion issue thingy, he is the other Sherdogger who bought these gloves who I tagged previously. I'm not sure but I don't think I've seen that on any gloves before.

Cool I thought so hehe.

I did see those Valour Strikes the other day in his channel it was like a budget show down. I felt like out of all the gloves participating the Adidas H200 should have taken the cake. I havn’t been back to the channel. I was left with bad taste after that and stumbling along a Reyes Safetec vs Rival RFX match up where the guy seems clueless to some obvious things, Rival has been working their way up for a while now but the brand comparison to me is a silly advantage for one glove to have over another and he still had them 10-10 assuming Rival has done enough to be equivalent to the classic Reyes, also said their both durable but made only for 30 rounds, the Rival as well ass the Safetec when even on the site it states the safetec is designed to last a shit ton more than standard fight gloves and be used for training. So did he buy them for a review and read absolutely nothing about the gloves? Guess so.

After that I’ve stayed away, the only thing urging me to swing by is he came up on my feeds with a pair of MXN which im interested in and I think has the same manufacturer as No Boxing No Life.

The gloves in the budget comparison were actually a different glove. They are supposedly a step down from the vintage ones in this review.

I agree with you some of the reviews leave something to be desired. He seems to be biased towards UK and European gloves vs Mexican, etc.

The gloves in the budget comparison were actually a different glove. They are supposedly a step down from the vintage ones in this review.

I agree with you some of the reviews leave something to be desired. He seems to be biased towards UK and European gloves vs Mexican, etc.

Yeah I noticed that the day he made Winning look like some average mid tier gloves. He rates Fly above everything and honestly the leather and design of those gloves do look sweet so they might very well be the best gloves in Europe but their too pricey for a try, they’ve been making some noise in fights as well. It all depends if they keep coming up etc I might just try one day.

Is UMA made in Pakistan? The only Pakistan made gloves I own with the owners and handlers being out the UK is P4P and im not 100% they are made in Pakistan. I love those gloves. Just from a glance I think it’s one of the best Pakistan made gloves (if they are) but I need to get me another Pakistan brand to compare. Well I have those crappy Adonis but the owner isn’t European.

Is UMA made in Pakistan? The only Pakistan made gloves I own with the owners and handlers being out the UK is P4P and im not 100% they are made in Pakistan. I love those gloves. Just from a glance I think it’s one of the best Pakistan made gloves (if they are) but I need to get me another Pakistan brand to compare. Well I have those crappy Adonis but the owner isn’t European.
Those Pound4Pound gloves look like they're from Pakistan. Ring to Cage gloves, TopBoxer gloves, UMA, those are all Pakistan made, some people say Sabas is also from Pakistan, and I would think that the vast majority of the gloves that get reviewed by Fit2Box which aren't from Mexico, or Winning/DiNardo/Fly, are from Pakistan and then some from China.

Those Pound4Pound gloves look like they're from Pakistan. Ring to Cage gloves, TopBoxer gloves, UMA, those are all Pakistan made, some people say Sabas is also from Pakistan, and I would think that the vast majority of the gloves that get reviewed by Fit2Box which aren't from Mexico, or Winning/DiNardo/Fly, are from Pakistan and then some from China.

But isn’t Top Boxer just exclusively made by a Pakistani dude as in Muhammad? Or how does it go? I though he was the maker and was why everything was done a bit at a time.

Yeah I think Sabas must be made in Pakistan, how about Bealieu gloves? Do you know where they’re made, they look like Pakistan Gloves with Mexican leather, the leather is identical to New Sporting, MXN and Grants as far as the texture of their metallic leather.

But isn’t Top Boxer just exclusively made by a Pakistani dude as in Muhammad? Or how does it go? I though he was the maker and was why everything was done a bit at a time.

Yeah I think Sabas must be made in Pakistan, how about Bealieu gloves? Do you know where they’re made, they look like Pakistan Gloves with Mexican leather, the leather is identical to New Sporting, MXN and Grants as far as the texture of their metallic leather.
TopBoxer is the brand of Muhammad Irfan who makes the stuff along with his workers in Sialkot, Pakistan. He also makes stuff for other brands. TopBoxer is his personal label though. It's like how New Sporting make for Grant etc but you can also just deal with New Sporting directly.

Beaulieu gloves used to be made by Muhammad Irfan for awhile, but then Bill Beaulieu switched to a different Pakistani supplier last time I looked into it a couple years back.

TopBoxer is the brand of Muhammad Irfan who makes the stuff along with his workers in Sialkot, Pakistan. He also makes stuff for other brands. TopBoxer is his personal label though. It's like how New Sporting make for Grant etc but you can also just deal with New Sporting directly.

Beaulieu gloves used to be made by Muhammad Irfan for awhile, but then Bill Beaulieu switched to a different Pakistani supplier last time I looked into it a couple years back.

Okay cool, It seems P4P has got a good team behind their product, I havn’t put heavy work on their gloves yet but the stitching and padding is very good.

I thought Muhammad was a one mam show, good to see he’s growing I have him on my list and hope to catch a pair.

Add on: I’ll probably get a R2C or UMA though because of the price range etc so I can compare to P4P. Should be getting a new bag soon and gym hunting in the spring hopefully so I can put some better rounds down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back