Valve Handheld: Steam Deck

After putting some serious time with my Deck now, I'm always learning new things, but this one surprised me, in a positive way, which should help some of you out when planning ahead

I have about 25 games installed on my 512 GB version. I also have a 256 GB micro SD card meant for emulation.

I thought all of my Steam games were installed on the main SSD. Trying to copy over some roms, I realized that the two games I've been playing most recently, FF7 Remake and KOTOR 2 (along with a few others) are actually installed on the micro SD slot. FF7 Remake is modern Triple A personified, and despite going back and forth on my PC and Deck, I never even noticed that it was installed on the Micro slot. That's pretty damn impressive.

This is the one I bought. I had heard performance was good on it, but I never planned on using it for main games. I'm def going to get a larger one.

43c8f9d3-6f9b-45d0-a66c-ceb9ceae877a.40cdb579ef119eb8d6d2dfe6666e02a4.jpeg
Sorry if you've already answered this ITT, but I didn't see it after a quick search.

What has the battery life been like for you?

Sorry if you've already answered this ITT, but I didn't see it after a quick search.

What has the battery life been like for you?

I find the battery just fine, but you have to make some tweaks to settings for demanding games. It's very intuitive though.

I've mainly been playing Valkyria Chronicles 4, KOTOR 2, and FF7 remake. I tend to play them in my car outside my local coffee shop. I've been out there for hours on some nights. I don't know exactly how many on the longest sessions, but a few times I've had to use their bathroom twice, so prob 7 to 8 hours.

I always cap/limit my FPS at 40, and screen brightness a little above half.

I've had the best battery experience with VC4 and KOTOR 2. I think I have the graphics at high on those, definitely for KOTOR 2. I never worry too much about the power bank for them, maybe had to charge it once on those longer sessions.

FF7 Remake drains it far faster. I think I got two hours on it before having to use the power bank. I'm sure I could get more with tweaks, but I like the settings the way they are.

I know this isn't some accurate breakdown, but it's safe to say that any demanding/modern game is going to eat up the battery quicker. You can make lots of little adjustments though.

The frame limiter is the best battery saver, but through FSR (AMD's answer to DLSS) in game settings tweaks, and brightness, you have a lot of means to extend the battery further.

It’s like looking in the mirror.

For anyone that doesn’t frequent the PlayStation thread, another banger is verified.

When I hear about this thing I just get sad at how pathetic the Nintendo Switch's hardware is. It desperately needs an upgrade, it has gotten to the point where I don't even play it unless there's a really awesome first party game. All my third party stuff goes right to the PS5. I'd buy one but with PSVR2 on the way sometime next year not sure if I should drop several hundred.

When I hear about this thing I just get sad at how pathetic the Nintendo Switch's hardware is. It desperately needs an upgrade, it has gotten to the point where I don't even play it unless there's a really awesome first party game. All my third party stuff goes right to the PS5. I'd buy one but with PSVR2 on the way sometime next year not sure if I should drop several hundred.

I only use my Switch for their first party stuff. Literally the only non-first party game I have for my switch is sonic mania, everything else is stuff like Mario, Kirby, Pikmin etc.

With all of the shipping issues clearing up my order has moved back up into this quarter for Jul-Sep. Could be a few days to a few weeks.

I'm feeling torn as I just put a huge chunk of change down on a gaming PC and have a gaming laptop for travel. I put in the pre order in and told a guy in my office I'll keep the pre order and he could buy mine since he put his pre order in like a month ago. But now that it's coming closer to realty I'm tempted to tell him to get bent and keep it for myself. I have no real need for this other than the need for all of the toys.

Delivered today. Can't wait to open it up after work.

Has anyone put Xbox Game Pass on theirs yet? Curious how well it works.

I REALLY disagree that the majority of Switch owners bought it for 3rd party on the go. They did not buy a Switch so they could play inferior versions of Witcher and Doom on the go. They bought it for the same reason they buy most nintendo consoles, Mario, zelda, family games.

Also, so long as the Decks are priced the way they are, Nintendo has 0 to worry about.

What this thing does have is a potentially massive built in user base, considering no one would have to re-buy their games for a new console. Which is awesome.

the amount of parents that bought switch’s for their kids to play fort nite on the go. Is substantially larger than most would think

Since. You can install windows I’m sure. You can but has anyone tried running blue stacks on one of these yet??

Got mine and I can't put it down. Also, doesn't help that PC games can be so cheap. I see myself re-buying games I already own just to have them on my Stem Deck.

Got my email yesterday and finished the purchase. Already told a guy at work I’d sell it to him since I dropped a huge chunk of change on a gaming PC. Now that it’s a real purchase and it’s on the way, I’m crying on the inside knowing it’s just going to I’ve down the line.

In the long run it’s for the best since the idea was to just sell to the guy at work and then get tan updated version.

Reservations for the Official Dock now available, $89.99, shipping expected in 1-2 Weeks

Just in case you don't want the official one, from the FAQ

Can I use any USB-C dock with my Deck or do I have to get the official Docking Station?
You can use any dock you like. The work we've done to make Steam Deck and Docking Station compatible extends to other third party hubs and docks.

My friend loves the Nreal Air

Reservations for the Official Dock now available, $89.99, shipping expected in 1-2 Weeks

Just in case you don't want the official one, from the FAQ

$90 is a bit steep for the dock.
The Ayn Odin dock is $22 cheaper, offers more USB ports, and has a 2.5 inch ssd dock to expand your storage.
5_720x.jpg

2_720x.jpg

$90 is a bit steep for the dock.
The Ayn Odin dock is $22 cheaper, offers more USB ports, and has a 2.5 inch ssd dock to expand your storage.
5_720x.jpg

2_720x.jpg

I agree, i've also seen the JSAUX Docking Station recommended too for anyone wanting a more budget option too, around the $40 mark