Video Game Documentaries

billy-mitchell.original.jpg

I'd recently made this thread, but I didn't think to search for a video game documentary megathread:
HIGH SCORE: Trending 6-episode Netflix Documentary on the History of Video Games

This morning I noticed a video game documentary from CBS All Access. The aboves series touched on this, it was the focus of one of the six episodes, but the following documentary apparently dives deep. I thought the timing appropriate given the imminent launch of the new Xbox and Playstation. Anyone watched it?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5215462/reference
MV5BMzAzMTkzMGYtMzc5ZS00MjcxLTg2MGYtNjQwZDkyM2NiYjllXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDkwMzY5NjQ@._V1_UX402_.jpg

IMDb Summary said:
In 1990, SEGA, a fledgling arcade company assembled a team of misfits to take on the greatest video game company in the world, Nintendo. It was a once-in-a-lifetime, no-holds-barred conflict that pit brother against brother, kids against grownups, Sonic against Mario, and uniquely American capitalism against centuries-old Japanese tradition. For the first time ever, the men and women who fought on the front lines for Sega and Nintendo discuss this battle that defined a generation.

Last edited:
I've developed quite the affinity for this Matt McMuscles character (although it appears he's a TDS liberal). His "What Happened" series mostly covers video games but it also expands to movies and wrestling. It doesn't just focus on poor outcomes either, he'll cover the occasional successful title every now and then.

Also if you haven't checked out the Ars Technica "War Stories" series you owe it to yourself to binge that. They're all incrediible except the Amnesia: Dark Descent one which is essentially "we had no game mechanics so we lied to the players and said we did"

Lastly Gaijin Goomba covers a lot of interesting aspects of Japanese anime and such but he gets special mention from me cause this bit about Iwata and the Nintendo Switch came THIS CLOSE to making me cry like a little bitch.

Reactions: HHJ
Maybe check out some of these youtube channels bro. They produce a lot of good shit on gaming history

Kim Justice

Daniel Ibbertson

Larry Bundy Jr

Gamerang

Retroware

U da man

Reactions: Zer
Also if you haven't checked out the Ars Technica "War Stories" series you owe it to yourself to binge that. They're all incrediible except the Amnesia: Dark Descent one which is essentially "we had no game mechanics so we lied to the players and said we did"

oooooooooooo

14 minutes long.

A real eye-opener for any inclined to perceive Nintendo as a good guy. Nintendo's success is only desirable for competition, for balance, precepts of capitalism, because in truth, when Nintendo was the dominant force in gaming, they were worse than Microsoft, EA, Activision-Blizzard, or Ubisoft have ever been.

This is described succinctly from 2:00-2:24. There really is no better word than "draconian" to describe this.

A cool reminder that things always change, of how quickly they change, and how the attitude of companies change given what their position is in the marketplace. It also clears up a popular urban legend in video game history about what Trip Hawkins did the day before CES in Chicago in 1991.

Noclip's newest documentary is about Astro's playroom

NHK World Japanese Inventions show covered the origin of Sony PlayStation without ever saying the name Sony. They said after getting rejections from game makers, they invited a bunch to demo the PS1 and when they turned it on, turned out transporting it on luggage cart had too much vibrations that damaged the fragile prototype, but they got it fixed and demo'd a T-Rex in 3D.

NHK World Japanese Inventions show covered the origin of Sony PlayStation without ever saying the name Sony. They said after getting rejections from game makers, they invited a bunch to demo the PS1 and when they turned it on, turned out transporting it on luggage cart had too much vibrations that damaged the fragile prototype, but they got it fixed and demo'd a T-Rex in 3D.

There's a part in the Bedrooms to Billions : The PlayStation Years Documentary , that goes into the original devkit and how fragile it was at times and the lengths they had to go to for shipping it to developers

Maybe check out some of these youtube channels bro. They produce a lot of good shit on gaming history

Kim Justice

Daniel Ibberts

Gamerang

Retroware

Kim Justice is awesome, can't believe his channel isnt bigger!

He has his Peter Molyneux series compiled into one giant video now, 3 hour epic, just finished it.

He had the midas touch for a while!

The below documentary is the first in history featured in a videogame to win an Oscar. It was in the game Medal of Honor: Above & Beyond.

Next up is one currently free (with ads) on YouTube about League of Legends.

The latest Noclip Documentary on the Deman Souls remake

Noclip have just released a 2hr10m Documentary on Black Mesa

Looking forward to watching this when i get a chance

Back