Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Acetic Acid= Vinegar
Citric Acid= Lemon Juice Concentrate

Check out this study:
Acetic Acid Feeding Enhances Glycogen Repletion in Liver and Skeletal Muscle of Rats

Summary paragraph:
Our results show that dietary acetic acid can enhance glycogen repletion in both liver and skeletal muscle. The mechanism of this effect is different in liver and skeletal muscle. In liver, acetic acid feeding enhances glycogen repletion by activation of gluconeogenesis and the preferential utilization of G-6-P for glycogenesis. In skeletal muscle, the enhancement of glycogen repletion by acetic acid feeding results from the accumulation of G-6-P due to suppression of glycolysis. We used acetic acid at concentrations comparable to those found in a normal diet. Therefore, we conclude that supplementing meals with vinegar may be beneficial in the recovery of liver and skeletal muscle glycogen, for example, upon fatigue, after skipping meals, postexercise or as part of an athlete

Interesting. There's nothing quite like a whey hydroslate and balsamic shake, I tell ya.

Deee-licious!

Haha. Yikes.

Apple Cider is the vinegar of choice.

Actually vinegar has been talked about for decades in aiding fat buring. I remember the craze when I was in the AF...a long...time ago. :)

I didn't say it was new.

In liver, acetic acid feeding enhances glycogen repletion by activation of gluconeogenesis and the preferential utilization of G-6-P for glycogenesis.

So the acetic acid stimulates gluconeogenesis (in the liver) even when glycogen is available---I'm assuming that also has to do with the cAMP. The article doesn't say exactly what sources were used for gluconeogenesis, or to what degree, but then again, that's not what they were testing. Interesting, nonetheless.

Because glycogen repletion of soleus muscle takes priority over that in gastrocnemius muscle and liver

So glycogen repletion happens in slow twitch muscle first. Huh. Didn't know that one.

Godamn! That has to be one of the coolest articles posted here yet. Fuckin-A work, Madmick!

So, what are YOU putting in your PWO shake today? :icon_chee

Madmick said:
Haha. Yikes.

Apple Cider is the vinegar of choice.

Chock up another win for the tree huggers. Chad is gonna be all over this like Oprah on a baked ham.

Good article, i was unaware that vinager had that much of an effect of glocogen supplies in the body.

*takes idea too far*

*pulls out shot glass and economy size jug of vinager*

MikeMartial said:
Chock up another win for the tree huggers. Chad is gonna be all over this like Oprah on a baked ham.
Hey man, I'm just sharing ideas. I was reading earlier today that Poliquin has recommended glutamine in PWO shakes in place of maltodextrin/dextrose for fat guys who have already developed insulin resistance because apparently glutamine has a favorable effect on glycogen repletion but without eliciting an insulin response or inflaming the GI tract (especially in the gut). I haven't been able to find the source of this information.

I'm just a sugar and protein guy.

Madmick said:
Hey man, I'm just sharing ideas. I was reading earlier today that Poliquin has recommended glutamine in PWO shakes in place of maltodextrin/dextrose for fat guys who have already developed insulin resistance because apparently glutamine has a favorable effect on glycogen repletion but without eliciting an insulin response or inflaming the GI tract (especially in the gut). I haven't been able to find the source of this information.

I'm just a sugar and protein guy.
It's all good; in fact, posting these types of articles is what draws me to D&S. I like to see the source of that glutamine-Poliquin story, if you can find it.

Back to the topic...who here is going to start adding vinegar PWO? And what type, how much?

BTW---you mentioned citric acid in the first post, yet I don't see a reference to it in the study?

I'm thinking about adding a shot of vinegar to my routine in the morning (preworkout). I'll probably do 1oz (I'm just gonna use a shot glass) of apple cider vinegar.

Excellent. Recovery is my biggest hindrance - out to buy apple cider vinegar!

Clint07 said:
I'm thinking about adding a shot of vinegar to my routine in the morning (preworkout). I'll probably do 1oz (I'm just gonna use a shot glass) of apple cider vinegar.

I am thinking about adding a shot of it to my pwo shake..i'll let you know how it goes. Fortunately for me(and oddly enough), i like the taste of apple cider vinegar.

Since I don't have any apple cider vinegar on hand, I'll have to go with the plain white %5. I wasn't thinking a shot glass, but more like a capful---but then again, I haven't sat down to actually do the daily average calculation in the article.

If I spew PWO shake all over my keyboard later tonight, I'm sending Madmick the bill.

Ok so I can just add lemon juice concentrate instead of vinegar right?

MikeMartial said:
It's all good; in fact, posting these types of articles is what draws me to D&S. I like to see the source of that glutamine-Poliquin story, if you can find it.

Back to the topic...who here is going to start adding vinegar PWO? And what type, how much?

BTW---you mentioned citric acid in the first post, yet I don't see a reference to it in the study?
Only the increased cAMP applies to citric acid.

I'm not sure on the dosage of the vinegar. They recommend 1g with the apple cider vinegar extract pills.

Added two capfuls of white vinegar to my regular PWO shake tonight. I could smell it, but couldn't taste it. My wife now is completely sure I'm crazy. I'm going to pick up some organic apple cider vinegar and try that instead.

I actually had her read the study; she did a bunch of research (non-related) in university, so I figured she may pick up on some of the stuff I skimmed (read: Didn't have a clue about) She was actually pretty impressed (at the study, not me), but pointed out two things I missed:

1) They only used 5 groups of 5 rats. A fairly small amount, but well controlled, nonetheless

2) The study was done in 2000. The results seem quite impressive---so much that I would assume someone either would have done more studies (which I'm going to look for), so some wacked-out rip-off-artist supplement company would have ran like a madman with this study (MuscleTech, anyone? Acetic2000! Better than NO! Faster than CellTech! Stronger than---fuck, I dunno.)

MikeMartial said:
2) The study was done in 2000. The results seem quite impressive---so much that I would assume someone either would have done more studies (which I'm going to look for), so some wacked-out rip-off-artist supplement company would have ran like a madman with this study (MuscleTech, anyone? Acetic2000! Better than NO! Faster than CellTech! Stronger than---fuck, I dunno.)

Gahaha, I was thinking the same thing, I couldn't find too much else on the subject; though I didn't search for too long.

Interesting

I might try that from next week, just to see what happens *chokes down pre vomit*

I picked up a gallon of apple cider vinegar. I was well aware of the horrors of this shit going in (my mom started drinking it for about a week a couple years back as a 'miracle supplement' sort of thing), but chose to down a shot with my PWO drink anyway...

JESUS. I'd rather take straight shots of everclear than this shit. However I'll keep it up in the name of SCIENCE.

Back