Vintage Boxing Gloves

some old Everlasts. I know that the 24xx line is their pro training gloves, not sure what these were but I'm pretty sure they're sparring gloves.

picked these gloves up on the central coast of California. What a beautiful place, and what beautiful gloves.

Got them in a package deal. The guy was a former fighter, fought in smokers in the san fernando valley back in the day. After a bout, a promoter stiffed him his dues so he took the gloves that he used during the fight and went his way.

One gripe about these fight gloves is that the thumb connector is not leather, but not a big deal. Beautiful color, and definitely feel like they were the early grant fight gloves' predecessors.

Label says they were made for MM, wonder if that language is a formality, or if MM used an out of house manufacturer to have these made. Only pair of MM fight gloves I've seen, in photos or in person.

Last edited:
picked these gloves up on the central coast of California. What a beautiful place, and what beautiful gloves.

Got them in a package deal. The guy was a former fighter, fought in smokers in the san fernando valley back in the day. After a bout, a promoter stiffed him his dues so he took the gloves that he used during the fight and went his way.

One gripe about these fight gloves is that the thumb connector is not leather, but not a big deal. Beautiful color, and definitely feel like they were the early grant fight gloves' predecessors.

Label says they were made for MM, wonder if that language is a formality, or if MM used an out of house manufacturer to have these made. Only pair of MM fight gloves I've seen, in photos or in person.

<DCWhoa> NOW THOSE ARE AWESOME. They kind of look like a Mejico version of the old Fairtex fight gloves.

I've posted this before in another forum. When I was really into Grant....

most of the above is gone. None of the gloves in the pics were purchased through Grant. Most were picked up through craigslist, a couple through ebay.

<Rodgers1> I got a couple of pairs of Grant training gloves from the Ringside era, back when what are now " custom " colors were still considered stock. My favorite from that lot is the Green ones. I got a thing for green.

Honestly Grant gloves are my holy grail. I've never been able to justify the price. I'd like to try some Winning gloves as well, but for me the shape and colours Grant use are the best although I've heard that their quality can be somewhat questionable at times.

I'll have a look around and see if I can find my old Fairtex gloves from the mid 90's when I started fighting as a kid

@Woldog

Grants were my grails. Avoid their current training gloves. Their fight gloves are pretty nice.

What are your ideal grants? Size? Era? Color? Just wondering.

@Woldog

Grants were my grails. Avoid their current training gloves. Their fight gloves are pretty nice.

What are your ideal grants? Size? Era? Color? Just wondering.

Any size, any colour really, I think my all time favorites were the ones Mosley wore vs Pacquiao and the purple ones GGG wore against Willie Monroe

@Woldog

yeah those colors are amazing. Purple ones GGG wore are great as well. Wish they didn't cost so much, honestly what turned me off from them. I'll let you know if I ever find a pair for a really good deal.

Literally signed up for a Sherdog account just to comment about how awesome this thread is. I have some vintage or historic equipment here I'll definitely try to photo.

Was able to snap a few today. I have A LOT. Much in safe storage. Will likely keep posting as I come across some gems. I don't want to just flood the thread all at once.

First up is a Jack Dempsey glove, circa 1920. Worn by Dempsey himself.

Jack Dempsey was the heavyweight champion from 1919 – 1926 and became one of the top celebrities of the 1920s. Known for his aggressive fighting style, Dempsey endeared himself to the sporting public and was as popular as other famous athletes of that day, including Babe Ruth. Dempsey was a money-maker for the industry as well as he was apart of the first ever million-dollar gate and attendance for his fights included an estimated 85,000 strong for his bout with Luis Angel Firpo at the Polo Grounds in New York.
IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

Everlast 4300

If you want to see something odd, google image search "Everlast 4300" for the latest iteration of what is supposed to be this same model.

John Golomb tells me that back in the day when Everlast N.Y. used to produce these, that they had one person who could make them. 4300 were the regular size, 43006 were the XL.

They called these the 'thumb, knuckle, wrist' protectors I believe, and they were popular among American football players as well. Beautiful gloves, I've seen similar pairs made by Spartan and also Tuf Wear.

I have something here not so old, but pretty infamous. Anyone take a guess what it's from?
IMG_E0194.jpg

Back