Walking

$uperman

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Can you build an aerobic base with walking?

Can you build an aerobic base with walking?

If you've been severely deconditioned/sedentary, extremely ill, and/or bedridden for a long time then yes, absolutely.

Rocky Marciano was a cardio machine and on top of all of his normal roadwork, boxing training, and strength/conditioning he was known to take very long walks in the evening after dinner. Kinda hard to say if that was the secret to his success. The terrain and speed at which you walk will make a difference too.

I think walking is an underrated tool. I like to take longer walks on my off days as a way to burn some calories without taxing myself too hard. And just getting out in the fresh air is great for stress relief.

If you've been severely deconditioned/sedentary, extremely ill, and/or bedridden for a long time then yes, absolutely.

Rocky Marciano was a cardio machine and on top of all of his normal roadwork, boxing training, and strength/conditioning he was known to take very long walks in the evening after dinner. Kinda hard to say if that was the secret to his success. The terrain and speed at which you walk will make a difference too.

Might have been active recovery or stress alleviation. I love long ass walks at night with my headphones to calm down and sleep.

Always been a big fan of walking for the relaxation if nothing else and it's definitely good for active recovery.
You need to march at a solid pace to make it good cardio tho imo. I try and do 7-8 miles in under 2hrs.
Wear a weighted vest if you want to burn more calories.

Walking is great to add to your workout routine because it doesn't tax your nervous system and doesn't impair your recovery. Good for burning those extra calories you need to in a gentle way.

As for building a cardio/conditioning/aerobic base i don't know about that. I don't think that it stimulates your cardiovascular system, lung capacity or muscle endurance nearly enough to improve that.

That being said as previous posters observed it also depends on how you do it. Walking a stiff slope, power walking or wearing a weighted vest all make it more difficult and efficient for your aerobic base.

Back