Multiplatform Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader CRPG (Dec 7). 2023 only gets better!

So what are people's thoughts on the game? From the reviews it seems like it's in a bit of a rough state but can be patched up.

Also seems like the stats and percentages are ridiculously granular while offering little actual boosts.

So what are people's thoughts on the game? From the reviews it seems like it's in a bit of a rough state but can be patched up.

Also seems like the stats and percentages are ridiculously granular while offering little actual boosts.
Haven't noticed any bugs at all yet. Haven't played for long though*.

Most systems in the game are kinda messy**. Not bad, just somewhat hard to figure out. Personally I like that they aren't all cookie cutter for the genre. But I'm sure there's a bit of superfluous stuff, or stuff that simply doesn't make a whole lot of difference***. The combat system in general doesn't seem very tactical - it's more about flair. Which is in line with the 40k brand of overkill. You're never bored during combat.
So far, melee characters seem overpowered to me. The psykers, shooters and support characters have a hard time keeping up with a sword-wielder who can Cleave three enemies at the beginning of his turn, then end the turn by charging and killing a fourth, and tank just about any incoming damage. If any enemies manage to stay out of reach, the melee character can just carry a pistol in his off-hand and shoot them instead - pistols are pretty much better than most rifles anyway, at least at the outset of the game.
But again, the game is about flair. All characters have apocalyptic abilities they can use under the right circumstances, it's just about positioning them where the abilities can be used.

*Streamers and reviewers always seem to whine about buggy launches.

**The trading system in particular is confusing. But I don't think it's broken or anything - I'm sure it will make sense eventually. I think (I'm not sure) that it borrows some aspects from the pen-and-paper rpg the game is based off of. Particularly the Only War spin-off. So maybe fans of those games have an easier time understanding it.

***Although I don't think it's that builds don't make a difference. I think it's moreso that you can still successfully play the game without min-maxing.

Last edited:
The trading system in particular is confusing. But I don't think it's broken or anything - I'm sure it will make sense eventually. I think (I'm not sure) that it borrows some aspects from the pen-and-paper rpg the game is based off of. Particularly the Only War spin-off. So maybe fans of those games have an easier time understanding it.
I don’t think there was ever a pen paper version. Rogue Trader was the game that eventually became Warhammer 40k. You just took a little army and battled out a board without continuity. They did have two other rpg like games, Necromundo and Inquisitor. I don’t think they had any trading system though

I don’t think there was ever a pen paper version. Rogue Trader was the game that eventually became Warhammer 40k. You just took a little army and battled out a board without continuity. They did have two other rpg like games, Necromundo and Inquisitor. I don’t think they had any trading system though

Lol. You went a bit too far back. In the 21st century, Fantasy Flight Games had the rights to developing and expanding a roleplaying game (i.e not tabletop wargame) based on the 40k IP for a good long while. 2008 to Feb 2017, if I'm reading the Internet sources right.

They published a whole bunch of sourcebooks, including Rogue Trader (i.e not the original Games Workshop game with the same name) in 2009. I've never played them myself, but I used to browse the sourcebooks a lot back in the day. I know the rules system was fairly well-received, as was the lore FFG developed for the game. Seems a lot of it has more or less been adopted as official canon by GW since*. The Koronus Expanse, which is the setting for the 2023 crpg, is all FFG's creation, for example. So I think it's quite likely the game mechanics borrows from the FFG pen-and-paper as well. Plus the sheer scope of the rules system for the crpg indicates it wasn't developed from scratch by Owlcat.

*Don't ask me how the creative rights for that works. But if it is in line with GWs usual business practices, that means GW now probably owns every scrap of Warhammer-related IP ever developed by FFG. Plus the developer team's cars, houses and firstborn children.

Last edited:
Lol. You went a bit too far back. In the 21st century, Fantasy Flight Games had the rights to developing and expanding a roleplaying game (i.e not tabletop wargame) based on the 40k IP for a good long while. 2008 to Feb 2017, if I'm reading the Internet sources right.

They published a whole bunch of sourcebooks, including Rogue Trader (i.e not the original Games Workshop game with the same name) in 2009. I've never played them myself, but I used to browse the sourcebooks a lot back in the day. I know the rules system was fairly well-received, as was the lore FFG developed for the game. Seems a lot of it has more or less been adopted as official canon by GW since*. The Koronus Expanse, which is the setting for the 2023 crpg, is all FFG's creation, for example. So I think it's quite likely the game mechanics borrows from the FFG pen-and-paper as well. Plus the sheer scope of the rules system for the crpg indicates it wasn't developed from scratch by Owlcat.

*Don't ask me how the creative rights for that works. But if it is in line with GWs usual business practices, that means GW now probably owns every scrap of Warhammer-related IP ever developed by FFG. Plus the developer team's cars, houses and firstborn children.
Oh I never saw that before but that is around the time I stopped playing table top games. I did play inquisitor back in the day and it was pretty good

Its a very typical Owl Cat game release, in a roughish state but fully playable and is getting quick patches fixing the big issues.

If you played the pathfinder games and like them, this will be for you.

If you have never touch WH40K but have a slight interest in the genre (this was me) then I can recommend it. No idea how it stacks up to a WH40K purest but as a novice it is interesting.

The gameplay is solid and if you are a fan of 40k there is a lot of love and respect shown by Owl Cat to the lore of 40k. I love how being the good guy in 40k makes you look like monster. They nailed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back