was tony ever that good

Skill wise, no, he was never elite imo, but he was able to win a large majority of fights based off of his chin and his conditioning and pushing an insane pace that his opponents couldn't keep up with.

What we're seeing now are guys who realized that if they can control the pace with Tony and make the fight a contest of skill rather than conditioning, then they can win.

Yea he was really good. Not as good as people on here pretend he was. He was never going to beat Dustin, Gaethje, Khabib and even Conor likely would’ve put his lights out. Top 6ish. Gets hit way too much and his ground game was given way too much credit. Still a top LW all time with a stellar career.

I think there was a time when he could’ve beaten Justin and Dustin. Sure, by the time he faced Justin he had been through a lot of wars, was reaching his late 30s and was post-knee surgery. And Justin was hitting the form of his life.

But if Tony fought Justin during the time he fought Alvarez and DP I think he could’ve beaten him for sure.

Similarly, the version of Poirier who lost to Johnson and had a war with Jim Miller wasn’t gonna run through Tony in the least.

This always happens with guys who get a little older. We look at whoever is currently in peak form and decide they always would’ve beaten the guy. Luque would crush Fitch, Vettori would crush Rich Franklin, etc. IMO it’s bullshit.

The only reason he wasn't champion was because Dana fucked him over.

He did what a champion of LW should do-- clean out the division. RDA didn't do that, Alvarez never did that and Conor sure as fuck never did that.

Before Tony got life-altering damage from the Gaethje fight he would have given Khabib a very rough night.

Reactions: Po
Skill wise, no, he was never elite imo, but he was able to win a large majority of fights based off of his chin and his conditioning and pushing an insane pace that his opponents couldn't keep up with.

What we're seeing now are guys who realized that if they can control the pace with Tony and make the fight a contest of skill rather than conditioning, then they can win.

I think what we’re seeing is that he’s slower and weaker. Guys used to try to beat him with precision and patience and he just ran them the fuck over.

Tony was always vulnerable. He dodged some bullets to stay undefeated that long (like anyone would have to). But he was an excellent fighter. He threw a lot of unconventional strikes and did damage with them, and would capitalize on the smallest of Windows. Look at the Barboza fight. Barboza was doing really well but Tony eventually created chaos and danger and had Edson’s neck before he knew what hit him.

Why don't you go back and actually watch his fights with Barboza, Thomson and RDA and draw your own informed conclusions instead of just looking at his record and passing judgement like some casual?

When it comes to Tony, I see a lot of people downplaying him when they only look at his record. But when they actually watch his old fights they like "Damn Tony was a beast"

Tony weighed in for UFC 209
Khabib couldnt even make it to the weigh in.

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id...t-championship-fight-tony-ferguson-called-off

20170303033342_IMG_5210.JPG

He was obviously very good. Maybe a bit overrated but we tend to do that with everyone.

we've been over this, no.

He's kinda like a beniel dariush type fighter, making a name off of washed up fighters and thinking he's elite for it.

Yeah I mean he lost a few fights in his old age. Must not have been.

<{hfved}>

The only reason he wasn't champion was because Dana fucked him over.

He did what a champion of LW should do-- clean out the division. RDA didn't do that, Alvarez never did that and Conor sure as fuck never did that.

Before Tony got life-altering damage from the Gaethje fight he would have given Khabib a very rough night.

He didn’t get fucked. He had bad luck and timing. The Brooklyn fight versus Khabib was gonna be one of the most highly anticipated title fights of all time. Dana tried to get that matchup made repeatedly. On that particular occasion it was entirely Tony’s fault FWIW, and frankly it’s just as well because Khabib probably would rolled him at that point.

Dana also gave him the interim title shot against Kevin Lee (who was much lower ranked) which made Tony interim champ.

Dana offered him a second interim shot against Dustin. Had he taken that fight and won, he would’ve gotten the shot at Khabib in Abu Dhabi, which DP ended up getting after defeating Holloway.

Then Dana gave Tony a THIRD interim title shot against Justin, and unfortunately he was a little old by then and Justin was at his all-time best, and Justin fucked him up. But that’s three times that he was booked for interim title shots and all three of the winners of those fights were put right in line for the next real title shot (Tony got injured when he was in line for his, and Dustin and Justin both got shots).

Really not sure what else the company could have done. In hindsight, maybe they could have allowed him to sit on his interim belt while injured (though he just would’ve ended up defending it or having to give it up) or they could have named him full champ when Conor failed to defend (although again, he would have still been booked for the same Khabib fight and nobody would’ve considered him full champ until he faced Khabib).

I agree that it’s sad that Tony was never crowned the official, undisputed champ, given the quality of his long winning streak compared to certain guys who did get the belt (Frankie, Benson, Pettis, RDA, Eddie, Conor — Tony had a better run than any of them IMO). BUT, if we are being fair, do we really believe that Tony was superior to Khabib at any point? I love Tony, and wish he’d had his moment, but he was always the junior partner during that strange era in which neither of the two best lightweights held the belt.

Just my two cents. I think we should remember Tony very fondly for what he was — a wild, unique, savage fighter who always set tactics and game theory aside and let the best man win, and managed to run up an incredible amount of success at the highest level nevertheless.

Belts provide a nice sense of structure and narrative for professional martial arts, in the same way that tournaments provide a nice sense of structure and narrative for team sports. But ultimately it’s about the performance of the arts, and Tony was a world class performer for a long time.

great fighter but his grappling was always a question mark even if you go back to his bout with danny castillo he was controlled for the whole fight on the ground

He lost, that means he was never any good. Classic Sherdog.

He was good, but there was never anything specific he was great at. We have to pretend now that he was great and coincidentally fell out of his prime at the exact time his competition jumped up, but he took a lot of damage against not so great fighters and basically wore guys down with toughness and cardio, and you can only do that for so long before it catches up to you.

Back