Was Woodley's soul gone before the Usman fight or after

Woodley at his best was terrifying. So much so Robbie Lawler looked almost scared of TyronE when I rewatched the fight.

You wanna talk about being in the right place at the right time, Woodley is just that.

He sat out for 16 months demanding a title shot when there was arguably a more deserving contender in Wonderboy who had to beat two top-5 guys (Rory and Hendricks) to get his shot.

Lawler was ripe for the picking and had two life-changing wars with Rory and Condit. They gave the fight to Woodley and he capitalized on it, so full credit to him.

Then he draws Wonderboy and the 2nd fight was a blatant robbery IMO. Then he draws on old Maia on his last legs who's an excellent matchup for Tyron and he made it a horrible eyesore of a fight. He atleast finally put up a fantastic performance against Till.

Him running around calling himself the greatest WW of all time was cringeworthy.

Maybe it's just me but I'm not seeing any physical decline, at least nothing significant. Granted he's 38 but hasn't taken a lot of damage and some athlete age well. I believe Woodley is one of those who age well physically, like Anderson Silva (was still way faster than Weidman at 38).

I think he's just been figured out. A powerful counter and great TDD isn't enough anymore. Where is his boxing combos, his kicks, his footwork, his cardio...? He never had any of that. Give Henri Hooft a talented, well-rounded guy and he's an easy puzzle to solve.

That and he's not as motivated as he used to be.

I was wondering the same thing. I think Woodley was done before the Usman fight.

Usman and Burns just happen to be the fortunate 2 people to fight a burnt-out Woodley.

He's been dominated in his past two fights not even being close 5-0. I remember a lot of people talking about how dominate of a performance Usman put on but saying that Woodley was a shell of himself vs burns. So my question for you was Woodley already out of it by the time Usman got his hands on him and it's the same Woodley we save Vs Burns. Or was Usman loss the reason Woodley has become a shell of himself
I think he was good to go this fight.
but as the first round started, Burns just jumped him, which was surprising and so effective, it took Woodley out of the fight.
He simply could not get himself going.

I don't know if he's done, but it is obviously very hard to get out of the hole he's in if he keeps fighting top level guys. Especially ones that are physically as strong as him, but with their confidence intact.
Right now, Woodley would need a beatable guy that he can get a win and work on his confidence once more.

was the same old Woodley, the guy has no heart and caves under pressure, he has always been like that
his best fights are against fighters that gave him space and applied little pressure

was the same old Woodley, the guy has no heart and caves under pressure, he has always been like that
his best fights are against fighters that gave him space and applied little pressure
tumblr_pqy98xPZon1qd4esao3_500.gifv
c9b20c552701fa5b6b6a312df1cfcc034d792444.gifv

exactly is the same Tyron.

Woodley is the most shot fighter I have ever seen who has taken relatively little punishment in his career. He showed up for Usman looking like shit, it reminded me of Rashad Evans in the Bader fight.

Tyron looks like shit in close stance fights because he can't land his right.

Woodley's right hand needs his once deadly lowkicks and takedown threats now more than ever, which he totally abandoned.
At his age he is too slow to land it against elite fighters and has not enough gas to throw it often enough.
He fell in love with his power and boxing, but forgot what it initially made so good

He showed flashes of it in previous fights

Wonderboy had him cowering against the cage looking like he didn't want to fight for large portions of the time

That being said Gilbert is on the rise and losing your last 2 to Usman and him could be the same outcome for every other 170 lb'er.

Yeah, no other guy at 170 can beat the guy who got starched by Dan Hooker.

Least amount of strikes thrown in a title fight against Maia and two stinkers with Wonderbread. The weird thing is he is started to get out muscled now too which is a bit shall i say, surprising.

I think Woodley just has some mental problem, like severe overthinking or some kind of anxiety, in the Burns fight in the beginning he looked like he was into it and was actually going to fight, but soon as he got hurt, it's like you could feel his energy change, I think he went back to this old mental pattern where he freezes and let's negative thinking get to him.

I think his coaches are playing into it as well, instead of helping him. They should have slapped him as soon as they saw him going back to his frozen self, but they just babied him and wouldn't speak any sense into him, like they didn't want to hurt his feelings or something

pretty much since he started getting paid a flat rate. show/win would get his ass in gear, he's money minded

It’s hard to stay on top forever. This will happen to every champion (minus GSP who walked away). Father Time gets everyone

Yeah, no other guy at 170 can beat the guy who got starched by Dan Hooker.

So since hooker beat gilbert 2 yrs ago there's no chance he's improved or could give people some problems? I'm not saying gilbert is the best around but just maybe he's hitting his stride right now. Who knows?

So since hooker beat gilbert 2 yrs ago there's no chance he's improved or could give people some problems? I'm not saying gilbert is the best around but just maybe he's hitting his stride right now. Who knows?

You and everyone else is acting like this failed lightweight is the fucking goat now.

Back