Opinion Watched a documentary today... One of those Hmmmm Moments.

They lost because they took on too many countries, notably Russia. If they had given Russia a pass and concentrated on subduing Britain, who knows how things might have turned out. Their allies the Italians weren't all that good and Japan's idotic attack on Pearl Harbor dragged Germany into fighting the US.

<JagsKiddingMe>

They got wrecked by Russia, and the USSR was not exactly a bastion of free thought. A huge goal of both places, like most awful dictatorships, was to trade culture and freedom for scientific advances. What kind of clown documentary claims the nazis lost because they didn't have enough scientists? Art, culture, movies music, and literature took brutal hits under those regimes, science did not.

The allies just waited until after the war to put Turing in jail for being gay
I don’t think they jailed him. He had to take estrogen injections though because they believed it would lessen his gay tendencies.

Germanys went for quality over quantity. Russians went for quantity.

Germans tanks were technologically superior to allied tanks, but they couldn't make enough of them.

They lost because they took on too many countries, notably Russia. If they had given Russia a pass and concentrated on subduing Britain, who knows how things might have turned out. Their allies the Italians weren't all that good and Japan's idotic attack on Pearl Harbor dragged Germany into fighting the US.
And their other allies were Red Shirts at best and in a few cases actively limited Hitlers actions. (Hungary denying Hitler access to Poland for a sneak attack) At the end of the day a mostly landlocked country with a low population and just coming out of a Great Depression went almost solo against major developed powers.

Talk about punching above their weight. To deny that is to deny history.

Why did Hitler lose?

(1) Opened a second front with Russia before finishing off Europe.
(2) Many poor decisions, because Hitler was on Meth
(3) Leaders with better ideas feared speaking up
(4) Hitler slept through the D Day invasion and Generals did not act
(5) The allies bombed the shit out of his manufacturing capabilities

I am sure his handling of intellectuals did not help, but he was going to lose unless he had poured it all into the A Bomb and got their first. Then we would have been all...

91K-mqAbgCL._RI_.jpg

Their technological deficiencies compared to the allies were also a result of the comparative inability of the axis powers to exchange and cross-pollinate ideas. They were not really less advanced than the allies, they were less innovative (obviously, they were also faaaaaaaar less productively and industrially capable).

Victor Davis Hanson talks about this, using the Germans lack of a four-engine bomber while the Japanese had one as an example - because each nation developed their equipment with different goals, and never amalgamated their ideas.
I tend to think there may be some grains of truth there, but mostly the Germans and Japanese just straight up lacked resources.

I'm a little drunk---IPAs fuck me up, but this brought a lot of thought.

Transcribed.

"Perhaps the most important element was the character of the Nazis themselves. The Nazi tyranny did not encourage free thought. The allies were able to identify and put their best minds into cryptology. In Germany, the best minds did not go into cryptology. Many of the best minds went into concentration camps. To get rid of so many of your leading intellectuals, if you want to conduct a high tech war, is absolutely stupid. The Nazis stifled thought and demanded allegiance to a race of "supermen", themselves. The Nazis were at war with the intellect. The best minds worked against them. The best minds broke the unbreakable enigma and at the very least shortened the war."

5CaYPb6.gif
Are those Sennheisers?

Germans tanks were technologically superior to allied tanks, but they couldn't make enough of them.

I read this in my military days from an old Panzer commander.

"One Panzer was as good as 5 allied tanks... But they always had six."

The US could produce tanks faster than the Japanese could produce guns.

In basic terms they lost because the certain group they were enemies with successfully rallied most of the developed world to fight them. I would say who but that may be anti semetic.

We all know there were many tech advancements by the Germans in the war. A lot of these were amazing but mass production of them was not practical during the war.

And their other allies were Red Shirts at best and in a few cases actively limited Hitlers actions. (Hungary denying Hitler access to Poland for a sneak attack) At the end of the day a mostly landlocked country with a low population and just coming out of a Great Depression went almost solo against major developed powers.

Talk about punching above their weight. To deny that is to deny history.
Yeah I think for many people their moral opposition to the 3rd Reich negates admitting the Germans were great engineers, and fighters on the battlefront.

I used to watch a shiton of WW2 documentaries in the 90s, back when History Channel actually featured quality Historical documentaries.

Yeah I think for many people their moral opposition to the 3rd Reich negates admitting the Germans were great engineers, and fighters on the battlefront.

I used to watch a shiton of WW2 documentaries in the 90s, back when History Channel actually featured quality Historical documentaries.
Sherdog is a funny place. For fans of a competition with severe physical consequences there sure are a lot of people here who refuse to admit that opponents can have positive attributes. If you don't know or dismiss their strengths and only focus on exploiting their weaknesses then you're half assing it. I had an argument recently about Trump where I said the guy has high EQ as evidenced by his knack for self promotion and ability to work a crowd. This was interpreted as an endorsement and singing his praises. Lol. Nope, there's plenty to criticize, but part of the reasons Hillary lost is because she didn't even attempted to counter his strengths.

And yeah, unfortunately the History Channel sucks nowadays.

But they did have some bad technology which is one reason why we won the war
Actually germany had mostly superior tech in almost every area. At the end of the war they had THE best tanks, Jet airplanes and superior weaponry. They were even close to finishing the A-bomb.
What they did not have was resourses -oil, metals, personell, competent higher leadership and factories that was out of the rage of enemy bomb raids.

The US sherman main tank at D-day had the nickname "ronson" -after the hand held lighter which according to adds at the time "lights up every time". The German tanks was very superior, but they simply had too few of them, to few men to put in them, too little ammo to arm them with, and too little oil to fuel them up.
Germany needed to win the war quickly before the allies could simply outproduce them, and the german lost the means to replace lost troop numbers. They failed.
They really should have activated operations sealion (the invasion of england) while the brits still basically lacked a army after dunkirk. This would have effectively freed up most of the west front troops, denied the US a local stageingplace to launch a d-day from.
They would probably still have lost to the russians, though. Russia was simply too big for them.

There's quite a lot of Nazi fetishists here. I'm not surprised.

Free thinking and education leads to the inevitable rejection of evil authoritarian ideologies that are hellbent on controlling people with ignorance, fear, discrimination, and military aggression. Right wing fascism relies on an uninformed and scared population that is willing to fall in line no questions asked. Rational measured free thought is an existential threat to its existence.

They push the idea that colleges are these Marxist re-education camps to persuade most of their base to stay away from further education. It’s another reason they continually push for manufacturing jobs that only require a GED.

The liberal Marxist college propaganda is elevated when kids return from college during Christmas break or Summer and have changed. Not because they are brainwashed, after all they are adults able to make their own decisions but because they are no longer under the tyranny of their parents and for the first time in many of their lives see how other people live and want to make a change.

If colleges were these re-education camps as most claim then explain how most Congresspeople have college education?

Back