Social Water Restrictions in California Coming

GoldenWolf87

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Well i never thought i would see this happen in a western country and in America but it seems its likely going to happen in case and should California's newsom win.

According to the reports California's newsom and California's Liberal's are planning to limit/restrict on how much the state and you the resident of the state can limit the water.

If you go overuse the water you would be charged from 1k to 10k.

This is the only article i could find that is not under a paywall sadly. And that tweet from twitter. If this goes through this could be very bad for Farmers and the state.
California’s Farmers Face Unprecedented Water Restrictions

California’s State Water Board unanimously approved an unprecedented emergency order on Tuesday that would prohibit some Central Valley farmers from irrigating their crops using water diverted from rivers and streams in the Sacramento and San Joaquin River watersheds. Pending final approval by the California Office of Administrative Law in the coming days, the measure will go into effect on Aug. 16.

imagine this got the same attention as texas lol

the funniest part is California has black outs every years yet we never hear a peep

hmmmmm
Wait California has black outs every years? dont they have green energy wind and solar plants like Germany does now?

So the drought and lack of water has nothing to do with the possible decision? Low water levels at major water sources within and without the state? Lack of rain? "Climate Change?" Lack of programs that capture rain water? Lack of programs where people aren't always watering deserts?

So people can't flex during times of trouble? Let your lawns die, focus on the important things, maybe not have so many almonds? Temporarily? This is the first time?

If it wasn't for empty pools in the late 70s, who knows where skating would be.

I'm surprised that people think that if you are the Gov of California, you have the power of a Greek God.

So the drought and lack of water has nothing to do with the possible decision? Low water levels at major water sources within and without the state? Lack of rain? "Climate Change?" Lack of programs that capture rain water? Lack of programs where people aren't always watering deserts?

So people can't flex during times of trouble? Let your lawns die, focus on the important things, maybe not have so many almonds? Temporarily? This is the first time?

I'm surprised that people think that if you are the Gov of California, you have the power of a Greek God.
I am pretty sure that's what the Gov of California thinks. If there are issues with the water and because of the fires and drought there far better ways of handling these things than over charging your own residents or limiting them.

Lots of this has too do because California has failed to upgrade their water system.
Look at San Diego County they have a water surplus because they took it upon themselves to upgrade their water system.
Sand Diego is in the extreme south of California surrounded by the Mojave desert. Their mountain range gets snow but not in the scale of the Sierras.

Drought-tolerant San Diego won’t go thirsty in the dry stretch ahead

San Diego takes droughts very seriously. That’s why the region is well-positioned to weather an extended dry spell with enough water.

Local officials don’t shrug at the drought conditions across the state that have triggered emergencies in a couple of northern counties. For one thing, the wildfire threat can be as dangerous here as anywhere.

San Diego may be more drought-tolerant than in the past when it comes to water, but it may never be fire-resistant.

The Southern fire that burned near Shelter Valley on the edge of the Anza-Borrego Desert was a reminder that fire season is pretty much year-round these days — even on a weekend when it drizzled along the coast.

But despite a weak state snow pack for the second consecutive winter and below-normal local rainfall, San Diego will have enough water to ride out a several-year drought.

That has everything to do with an ambitious, and expensive, two-decade effort by the San Diego County Water Authority and smaller water agencies to raise dams, expand reservoirs, extend pipeline networks, build a desalination plant in Carlsbad and diversify water imports.

And they keep denying dam permits and decommissioning dams and and water storage projects. We need more reservoirs!

Self inflicted wounds. How you can live next to the ocean AND reroute neighboring states water AND STILL run out of water is beyond me....well not really. I get it, it's just rediculous. Like that tweet complaining about choosing between showers and laundry but ignoring the fact they are literally running out of water.

Dont know if this is true. But i heard some months ago the problem is mainly caused by the vast amount of almond farmers in California.

Dont know if this is true. But i heard some months ago the problem is mainly caused by the vast amount of almond farmers in California.

It's caused by people living where there is no water.

Southern California’s manufactured resilience
Southern California goes to extraordinary lengths to take water from elsewhere. This nature-defying engineering keeps the region replete with water even when little falls from the sky. (Downtown Los Angeles averages about 14 inches per year, about a third as much as Mendocino.)
First came the city of Los Angeles’ aqueduct — backed by San Fernando Valley investors and approved by voters in 1905 — sucking up mountain-fed streams and lakes in the Owens Valley and transporting it 137 miles.
But it wasn’t enough.
Then came the Metropolitan Water District’s aqueduct, drawing from California’s share of the Colorado River, snaking through the desert and tunneling through mountains to deliver water to the Los Angeles basin in 1941.
But that wasn’t enough, either.
Finally, the state in the 1960s began building a massive system to carry river water from Northern California, pumping it over the Tehachapi Mountains and through 700 miles of pipelines and channels to deliver it to San Joaquin Valley farmland and 27 million people, mostly in Southern California.
And that is enough — for now.
https://calmatters.org/environment/2021/06/california-water-shortage/

Lots of this has too do because California has failed to upgrade their water system.
Look at San Diego County they have a water surplus because they took it upon themselves to upgrade their water system.
Sand Diego is in the extreme south of California surrounded by the Mojave desert. Their mountain range gets snow but not in the scale of the Sierras.

Drought-tolerant San Diego won’t go thirsty in the dry stretch ahead

San Diego takes droughts very seriously. That’s why the region is well-positioned to weather an extended dry spell with enough water.

Local officials don’t shrug at the drought conditions across the state that have triggered emergencies in a couple of northern counties. For one thing, the wildfire threat can be as dangerous here as anywhere.

San Diego may be more drought-tolerant than in the past when it comes to water, but it may never be fire-resistant.

The Southern fire that burned near Shelter Valley on the edge of the Anza-Borrego Desert was a reminder that fire season is pretty much year-round these days — even on a weekend when it drizzled along the coast.

But despite a weak state snow pack for the second consecutive winter and below-normal local rainfall, San Diego will have enough water to ride out a several-year drought.

That has everything to do with an ambitious, and expensive, two-decade effort by the San Diego County Water Authority and smaller water agencies to raise dams, expand reservoirs, extend pipeline networks, build a desalination plant in Carlsbad and diversify water imports.

I lived in SD for three years and was impressed with what I saw, none of the crap you heard about or saw in LA or SF.

Don't know if it was the climate attracting more money combined with a huge military population (where lots of military retire in/to SD after being stationed there and become residents/voters...hell I'm considering it)

Back