Sambo thread!

Fellows, here is a new Sambo technique video by Merited Master of Sport Oleg Rochev.
MIND BLOWING FOOT LOCK YOU MAY HAVE NEVER SEEN

A very rare yet legit Sambo foot lock with legs shown by Oleg Rochev. Oleg is the European champion, 2-times World Cup winner and 2-times World Championship Medalist. He represents the town of Krasnokamsk in Perm Krai, Russia, a signature spot on the World Sambo map.

Fellows, here is a new Sambo technique video by Merited Master of Sport Oleg Rochev.
MIND BLOWING FOOT LOCK YOU MAY HAVE NEVER SEEN

A very rare yet legit Sambo foot lock with legs shown by Oleg Rochev. Oleg is the European champion, 2-times World Cup winner and 2-times World Championship Medalist. He represents the town of Krasnokamsk in Perm Krai, Russia, a signature spot on the World Sambo map.

Not many people will turtle like that. The knees will be tucked, with the buttocks sitting on top feet. Be hard to get that leg hook.

I don't think the guy could be a 13 time world champion. The current record is tied at 11 by Irina Rodina and Murat Khasanov. Not to remove any credit from him; i'm sure he was a beast.

Well obviously i dont know a lot about this topic but that was what i have been told from different people . His name is Ivan something,,, Ivan Vasylchuk maybe?

Well obviously i dont know a lot about this topic but that was what i have been told from different people . His name is Ivan something,,, Ivan Vasylchuk maybe?

Iván is a 4x time world champion.
He's got some of the best leg locks ever. Specially knee bars, that he can hit from any and all positions.
He has a youtube channel, sila parterra, I suggest you check it out.

Just joined Sherdog. And only joined because of this forum. As someone who has trained Judo (20+ years) and BJJ (10+) I have found Sambo to really be the most complete grappling art.

If they added chokes to Sport Sambo I would probably dedicated even more time to it. I know it was mentioned earlier that Sport Sambo was experimenting with some rule changes but I don’t think chokes will be added any time soon (I might be wrong).

IMO Judo has become so watered down over the years - too many rules and penalties. And way too many techniques getting banned. BJJ is becoming too focused on sport rules then self defense. Which in both cases I understand -schools are going to teach what wins in competitions.

If someone asked me which art to learn for self defense I would tell them Sambo. I only started training Sambo over the last 2 years but it feels more like old school Judo and really what Judo was meant to be. I still appreciate the technical throws of Judo and the ground finesse of BJJ but if you want to end a real fight quickly Sambo is the way to go.

Just an old man’s opinion.

Still training at 45

As a lanky 21 year old who has some bjj experience from a few years ago, what do you think is a better option: A good judo school + mediocre but basically free bjj training through my university or Attending a good Bjj school?

Also what should my workout regiment be looking like?

Iván is a 4x time world champion.
He's got some of the best leg locks ever. Specially knee bars, that he can hit from any and all positions.
He has a youtube channel, sila parterra, I suggest you check it out.

Well, there you go. That's the guy i was talking about. Him in a bluebelt is what i would call a sheep i wolf's clothing :D

judging from the last video and what i know from a year of sambo entrapping opponents legs or pinning them seems pretty common. khabib did this on mconnor.

JudoMike73
Initally Sambo was intended for law enforcment etc, they used chokes. Later they developed Sport Sambo because this allowed longer sparrings, introduce population with sambo to have opportunity select talented youngsters from large pool of candidates. Sport Sambo allowed create all levels tournaments, from intended for local beginners to international class sport events. Tournaments for kids also were common, so I think, this is reason, why Sport Sambo not used chokes.

For self defense striking, kicking skills I think must be added, so Combat Sambo or Sport Sambo plus striking from another art.

Can someone tell me the differences between the styles of sambo.

The only Sambo I have access to is Combat Sambo.

Sport sambo is without striking allowed.
Combat is with striking + grappling but it still is sport.
Does offer they learn also about chokes and their usage in your location?

Sport sambo is without striking allowed.
Combat is with striking + grappling but it still is sport.
Does offer they learn also about chokes and their usage in your location?
Yeah they do, but I'm not sure how that'll mix into my current routine.

I do boxing & BJJ, I was doing wrestling but the place I was going to shut down so I was looking for something similar to it.

Yeah they do, but I'm not sure how that'll mix into my current routine.

I do boxing & BJJ, I was doing wrestling but the place I was going to shut down so I was looking for something similar to it.

-
Experience with boxing and wrestling will help you a lot. Then mainly you have to learn kicks and defenses from them and they will teach you grappling from sambo curriculum. How to punch you already know, maybe some nuances but in general looks good variant.

-
Experience with boxing and wrestling will help you a lot. Then mainly you have to learn kicks and defenses from them and they will teach you grappling from sambo curriculum. How to punch you already know, maybe some nuances but in general looks good variant.
I only did wrestling for about 7 months, while I've been boxing since I was 8 or so. I'll go to the free trial class and see how it goes, thanks!!

Can anyone clarify this for me?

As I was searching Khabib Nurmagomedov's titles on Combat Sambo, I've found that he is a 2-time world combat sambo champion, but not for FIAS (International Sambo Federation), but for World Combat Sambo Federation. That's why Fedor has 2 world titles on the same year in 2002 (FIAS and WCSF).

Here comes my question: Do they have the same weight? Which one is more important?

Can anyone clarify this for me?

As I was searching Khabib Nurmagomedov's titles on Combat Sambo, I've found that he is a 2-time world combat sambo champion, but not for FIAS (International Sambo Federation), but for World Combat Sambo Federation. That's why Fedor has 2 world titles on the same year in 2002 (FIAS and WCSF).

Here comes my question: Do they have the same weight? Which one is more important?
Today, there is only FIAS.

Back