Sambo thread!

Spend like 10 minutes trying to find something about sambo here. Does anybody know anything about sambo in Miami? Hopefully, with a guy from Russia as a trainer. I've been training in Russia for 1 year (not professionally), and that's completely different level, for real

Spend like 10 minutes trying to find something about sambo here. Does anybody know anything about sambo in Miami? Hopefully, with a guy from Russia as a trainer. I've been training in Russia for 1 year (not professionally), and that's completely different level, for real

Carlos Cummings' sambo is in Florida and I think possibly in that area. He has a great mind for grappling.

Starting this year, I am organizing an annual Sport/ Combat Sambo camp in the resort city of Varna, Bulgaria.
Camp coaches this year are Vladislav Koulikov and myself.
  • 5 days of training twice a day.
  • Yagadome Cup (international Sambo cup, organized with the help of the Bulgarian Sambo Federation) on the 6th day, giving a chance to everyone to test their skills.
  • We are currently working towards including the Yagadome Cup in the official FIAS calendar as international event.
  • Camp is open for Adults, Veterans, Females.
Cost, including accommodation is only $700.
Only 30 spots available and going out fast, so please take yours NOW!
More info here:

Starting this year, I am organizing an annual Sport/ Combat Sambo camp in the resort city of Varna, Bulgaria.
Camp coaches this year are Vladislav Koulikov and myself.
  • 5 days of training twice a day.
  • Yagadome Cup (international Sambo cup, organized with the help of the Bulgarian Sambo Federation) on the 6th day, giving a chance to everyone to test their skills.
  • We are currently working towards including the Yagadome Cup in the official FIAS calendar as international event.
  • Camp is open for Adults, Veterans, Females.
Cost, including accommodation is only $700.
Only 30 spots available and going out fast, so please take yours NOW!
More info here:

Hopefully javi goes and then I can make him show me what you guys went over . Honestly though it's awesome that you keep organizing such cool stuff like this. I hope it really works out well for you.

Hopefully javi goes and then I can make him show me what you guys went over . Honestly though it's awesome that you keep organizing such cool stuff like this. I hope it really works out well for you.
u talking about javier the judo and 10th planet sambo guy

Thank you!
We have the majority of the camp slots already taken and even more, quite a lot of competitors registered for the competition on 11th.
Haven't heard from Javi yet, I hope he make it, before we close the registration.

this video is all over the place but you learn a lot about sambo in mma. for example the wrist control throws

So was Oleg Taktarov actually a World Sambo Champion? He never really did many throws at all in MMA, and the times he wore a Gi it wasn't a Sambo one.

I know he trained Sambo in the military, but is that pretty much it as far as his Sambo background goes? He never threw strikes like a modern Combat Sambo athlete, and never really looked like an athletic Sport Sambist either

So was Oleg Taktarov actually a World Sambo Champion? He never really did many throws at all in MMA, and the times he wore a Gi it wasn't a Sambo one.

I know he trained Sambo in the military, but is that pretty much it as far as his Sambo background goes? He never threw strikes like a modern Combat Sambo athlete, and never really looked like an athletic Sport Sambist either
I don't think you're giving Oleg Taktarov enough credit. Maybe he didn't do many throws, but his leglock entries were brilliant, even at the end of his career, when he was hitting demonstration-perfect rolling kneebars on Mark Kerr and John Marsh.

I don't think you're giving Oleg Taktarov enough credit. Maybe he didn't do many throws, but his leglock entries were brilliant, even at the end of his career, when he was hitting demonstration-perfect rolling kneebars on Mark Kerr and John Marsh.
His rolling knee bars were awesome. I liked the one he pulled off on Dave Benateau (however you spell his name). His kneebar on John Marsh was also awesome. Shame it didn't work on Dan Severn.

I will say though, Oleg himself might have as well been "old" in the Mark Kerr fight, but, Kerr was nowhere even close to the athlete that made him an MMA/Vale Tudo/ Wrestling legend.

I'm a huge huge Sambo fan but Prime Kerr mauls Prime Taktarov 9/10 times

Carlos Cummings is in Miami, I think. I know he's in Florida.

His rolling knee bars were awesome. I liked the one he pulled off on Dave Benateau (however you spell his name). His kneebar on John Marsh was also awesome. Shame it didn't work on Dan Severn.

I will say though, Oleg himself might have as well been "old" in the Mark Kerr fight, but, Kerr was nowhere even close to the athlete that made him an MMA/Vale Tudo/ Wrestling legend.

I'm a huge huge Sambo fan but Prime Kerr mauls Prime Taktarov 9/10 times
Oh yeah, I hear you there. Regardless of who it was against, the execution and form by Taktarov was impressive. But yes, hitting it or anything at all on prime Mark Kerr would be a TOTALLY different matter. Totally different. I mean, we're talking a guy who tapped out Josh Barnett and Rigan Machado.

I heard javier quit sambo he was teaching judo and sambo and taking tenth planet classes at the same time and he had a kid that worked the arcade i played tekken at

Hi Evan. I saw a wrestler not get a shot td on a fella. That doesnt mean he didnt wrestle.

Disagree about Kerr vs Taktarov with both in their prime. Oleg has heart. He is an 'overachiever'. Kerr, the opposite.

Many of those less impressive slow twitch fibre fellas deserve sooo much more respect than are given. They'll mow right thru a full cohort of explosive fellas all in one night, one right after another.

Last edited:
Hi Evan. I saw a wrestler not get a shot td on a fella. That doesnt mean he didnt wrestle.

Disagree about Kerr vs Taktarov with both in their prime. Oleg has heart. He is an 'overachiever'. Kerr, the opposite.

Many of those less impressive slow twitch fibre fellas deserve sooo much more respect than are given. They'll mow right thru a full cohort of explosive fellas all in one night, one right after another.
Overachiever? He sure was an overachiever in the Shamrock and Severn fights, and Ruas fights...

And he apparently wasn't a world Sambo Champion afterall, so my assesments weren't too off base.

I love Sambo and I like and respect Oleg, his credentials just seem to be a bit exaggerated is all.

I'm not denying that he was good at Sambo or MMA

Overachiever? He sure was an overachiever in the Shamrock and Severn fights, and Ruas fights...

And he apparently wasn't a world Sambo Champion afterall, so my assesments weren't too off base.

I love Sambo and I like and respect Oleg, his credentials just seem to be a bit exaggerated is all.

I'm not denying that he was good at Sambo or MMA
he had submission skills but once he got into a long ground battle he almost lost to tank. judo and sambo is all about applying submissions fast off a takedown or you get stood up.

I don't know shit about Sambo. Does SAMBO reward "Take the back" too? Since when? A convergent evolution with BJJ, or influenced by BJJ?

Back