Weight loss stall

buffpants22

Be a Hero
@Brown
Reaction score
  1. after 10 years of not working g out thusJanuary after being diagnosed type 2 diabetic I started back. Started at 260lbs Lost maybe 8lbs then started keto/atkins in Feburary. I was doing mostly an hour or so of cardio. 5-6 days a week with little weight training up until May.
    My normal workout before late May
    20 minute walk
    Dumbell curls 25-30 reps
    30reps ab machine
    32 minute weightloss on elliptical
    Farmers walk
    Maybe a few laps or incline on treadmill for 10 minutes to end.

I dropped down to 215lbs by end of May. My goal is 195-200 btw. I wanted to add more weightlifting to tone everything up. So i cahnged my workouts to 4-5 days a week as follows.
    20 minute walk
    Dumbell curls
    French curls
    Ab machine 30 reps
    Crunches 15-20
    Elliptical 32 minute program
    Farmers walk or deadlift chest press every other day
    5 minute run.
    I quit the low carb diet because i was feeling exhausted by my deadlifts and i figured the extra cardio and weight demands would keep my weightloss going.
    Im stuck at 215lbs is there anything i can do weight wise to aide .
    Fyi cant do squats or really heavy weights have a torn meniscus and other knee issues. Don't want to go back to keto if i dont have to.

Last edited:
So you know weight loss has mainly to do with your diet, right? Because apart from keto and low carbs, you're not telling us anything here.
You can go to 10 sessions per week but if your diet is shitty, weight loss won't happen. So what are you eating?

1. after 10 years of not working g out thusJanuary after being diagnosed type 2 diabetic I started back. Started at 260lbs Lost maybe 8lbs then started keto/atkins in Feburary. I was doing mostly an hour or so of cardio. 5-6 days a week with little weight training up until May.
    20 minute walk
    Dumbell curls 25-30 reps
    30reps ab machine
    Farmers walk

I dropped down to 215lbs by end of May. My goal is 195-200 btw. I wanted to add more weightlifting to tone everything up. So i cahnged my workouts to 4-5 days a week as follows.
    20 minute walk
    Dumbell curls
    French curls
    Ab machine 30 reps
    Crunches 15-20
    5 minute run.
    I quit the low carb diet because i was feeling exhausted by my deadlifts and i figured the extra cardio and weight demands would keep my weightloss going.
    Fyi cant do squats or really heavy weights have a torn meniscus and other knee issues. Don't want to go back to keto if i dont have to.

Awesome progress. Only trouble is you can't outwork your diet. Keto was helping to reduce the total calories probably.

You might just need a different mode of dieting to reduce calories further - counting calories works for some. Fasting works wonders for some people, by reducing the window in which you eat it decreases total calories without the feeling of having to restrict every time you eat- and has great benefits for diabetics too. Check out this dude Jason Fung who has treated thousands of Type 2 patients

But nutrition is the most important thing! Do you eat bread and rice / potatoes?

20 minute walk
    Dumbell curls 25-30 reps
    30reps ab machine
    Farmers walk

20 minute walk
    Dumbell curls
    French curls
    Ab machine 30 reps
    Crunches 15-20
    5 minute run.

I agree with what others have said about diet. But in my opinion your program really leaves a lot to be desired.

You should drop the targeted arm work altogether and replace it with bigger compound exercises.

You could probably also cut down on the targeted ab work and replace that with bigger compound exercises as well.

You've got to make your body work.

Thx for the help all. Ive gone on a calorie deficit diet .
Ground beef, brown rice, lettuce, tomatoe , assorted veggies, are my main diet now. I have cheat pizza or some cookies twice a week. I"m still staying away from all bread and pasta though.
Really took the "cant out work your diet" suggestion to heart. Just got to do it my own way.
I'm down to 208lbs now, dropped majority of my weight lifting and pushing harder cardio.

15-20 minute elliptical warmup
5 minutes resistance arm warmup
Biceps or tricep curls "light weight"
25 reps military press (85lbs)
34 minute weightloss program on elliptical
Back extension machine with added weight 50-70 times
Farmers walk 10 laps carrying 90lbs 10 not carrying alternating each lap.
15 minutes elliptical. Again
5 minute jogging on treadmill

Might just stay a mild fatty at 32, but if i hit 200 i will be happy my knees cant take much more.
No easy road out.

Back