Weight/strength training for striking

MixMartialFarts

Butters Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I have always lifted weights/done strength training 2 or 3 times a week as part of my regimen. I do MMA so I wanna be strong for the grappling aspect of it and I've noticed if I neglect this part of my training I dont do as well in the rolling/wrestling at training. However, I have noticed when I do less weight/strength training my striking is much more fluid, I have way more snap on my shots and I feel way less stiff when Im hitting pads the bag etc. I still wanna be strong, like doing weights, and like looking ripped but I dont want it to effect my striking as much as it does. What are good workouts for strikers to do in the weight room that will help me with my striking and not slow me down but keep me relatively strong for grappling?

Lift with speed in mind. Complex training and peak power output (geared for quick reps) are two ways to go.

Lift with speed in mind. Complex training and peak power output (geared for quick reps) are two ways to go.
I don't know what complex training and peak power output means. So high reps light weight? Can I keep do that with any sort of excercies? (example: bicept curls, tricept extensions?) or are there certain workouts like those that tend to bulk you up and will hinder your striking?

For grappling i reccomend grip training. Like squeeze the clamps, and do forearm exercises.

Also legs, chest and biceps are important for wrestling. Try doing some explosiveness training too. I always did slam balls and snatches a long with plyo push ups for explosiveness training.

It has a less carryover, strength wise that is. Everyone thinks lifting (progressive overload) is only for strength, but one of the main benefits is injury prevention and muscle imbalances. That which is quite common in striking since there's a lacking of development in hand, glutes, rear delta

Ive always found lifting helpful given I don't go too all in and start to neglect skillwork due to excitement. Rotational work is more useful to striking, but that's by a little, it's not a one or the other. Main compounds help regardless.

I don't know what complex training and peak power output means. So high reps light weight? Can I keep do that with any sort of excercies? (example: bicept curls, tricept extensions?) or are there certain workouts like those that tend to bulk you up and will hinder your striking?
Complex training is usually you do a max effort movement, then immediately do an explosive one.

Eg. Bench, followed with clap pushups. Or
Squats followed by box jumps

Complexes is a different exercises, that's usually some form of a circuit. Barbell, DB, kettlebell are used. You have stuff like 4-6 exercises chained

I'm guessing his reply meant the earlier

I don't know what complex training and peak power output means.
I think trainer should explain it to you and give programm for exercises, this later is corrected to taylor for guy what needed.

In general fast cycles: to do fast with lesser weight.
Push ups : dynamic strength = ~ 80 - 100 per minute
static : 20 per minute not more.

I'll maybe try to find even some tuts or videos to link, but not today much cos I'm drunk now.

I'm no expert how grapplers condition themselves but what if you stick to boxing and grappling and cut down on kickboxing and weight training? Boxing would make you strong due to the isolated muscle groups activated, and since it's the upper body-- possibly provide the best of both worlds to you when you then grapple. Without having to lift weights.

So maybe train kickboxing only once a week...

In good boxing training programme legs…. are not less strong than hands.
Boxers lift too, kicboxers too, but different programmes than for weightlifters, powerlifters or grapplers.

I know it might not seem like it but it's a huge difference training kickboxing or muay thai compared to boxing from a conditioning perspective. One is not better than the other but for you it would seem that other shit gets in the way if you want strength for grappling.

Try just doing those two things...

That there is, for example : combat sambo, traditional jujutsu ( Curriculum includes striking too ), from these karates : Wado grapple more than other styles (there's Enshin, Ashihara styles too, but about them I don't know deeper to tell. But manage to find normal club with normal guys, who are willing to drill etc, after this concern about their fitness programmes. ).
So there's fitness programmes too are used. Strike & grapple.

compared to boxing from a conditioning perspective.
Yes, there are difference, but not such terrible.

I know it might not seem like
Okey guys, in internet for free are available european championships results tables.
By checking them, for example ammies <18 , there are guys, who competed in BOTH ; KB and boxing. Some did it in the same year, btw.

Later, boxrec contains also former ammy kicboxers with boxing pro records. If interesting are only pros not ammies.

Here's a thread where I talk about increasing pucnh speed. Thee Peak Power Output is near the halfway mark of the video.

Here's a quick overview for what I have my students fighter start with for weightlifting - spoiler: ditch the bicep curls and work compound movements. Stronglifts 5x5 is a great place to start.

I'm no expert how grapplers condition themselves but what if you stick to boxing and grappling and cut down on kickboxing and weight training? Boxing would make you strong due to the isolated muscle groups activated, and since it's the upper body-- possibly provide the best of both worlds to you when you then grapple. Without having to lift weights.

So maybe train kickboxing only once a week...
The only thing you seem to be an expert in is bullshitting

You can use even more sport specific modifications to variate the exercise as well; hold the strap in your fist, at a point of full extension in your punch form, either jab or cross, and start moving forward while maintaining your stance, just like you would in a fight.

This directly targets the kinetic chain used in punching, and mirrors the great Champ Thomas' own exercise recommendations for punching power (which may also be used as assistance work variations; the key to consistent gains in a given factor of performance is same, but different; different movements that all have a common feature of activating or interacting with the same muscle group).

punch power1.png
punch power2.png
punch power3.png

Last edited:
low weight high reps

or just stick to calisthenics.

Dont know any thing about grappling strength to have any valuable input, but I would imagine calisthenics would still be the way to go for that as well.

these guys are plenty strong, i like this guys channel

Yup, low weight and fast, high reps usually are suggested.

Waste of time really if you started training combat sports in your twenties

You've gotten some solid advice but I'll chime in anyway. First, it's possible your striking is more fluid when you haven't been strength training because you're just less tired.

From a recovery standpoint, weightlifting is harder on the body and requires more time to recover than other types of exercise, like aerobic work. Generally, you might need 24-48 hours to recover from an intense weightlifting session. That said, I wouldn't be overly concerned that you feel less fluid when you train if you've been lifting the prior day.

As for what type of strength training?

As others have said - compound movements and making sure you hitting the entire body so that your strength development is balanced. Stronglifts 5x5 is good. I felt it kind of wore me out from a time to recover perspective but you do gain muscle. These days, I'm a bigger fan of bodyweight work. But the reality is that any properly balanced program should be fine since you're not training for a weight lifting competing.

You've gotten some solid advice but I'll chime in anyway. First, it's possible your striking is more fluid when you haven't been strength training because you're just less tired.

From a recovery standpoint, weightlifting is harder on the body and requires more time to recover than other types of exercise, like aerobic work. Generally, you might need 24-48 hours to recover from an intense weightlifting session. That said, I wouldn't be overly concerned that you feel less fluid when you train if you've been lifting the prior day.

As for what type of strength training?

As others have said - compound movements and making sure you hitting the entire body so that your strength development is balanced. Stronglifts 5x5 is good. I felt it kind of wore me out from a time to recover perspective but you do gain muscle. These days, I'm a bigger fan of bodyweight work. But the reality is that any properly balanced program should be fine since you're not training for a weight lifting competing.
But there is an argument that being tired while training may hinder your motor skills in the long term

Back