Weight/strength training for striking

On the otherhand cardio before training might help improve your motor skills.

But there is an argument that being tired while training may hinder your motor skills in the long term

That's reasonable. I had read not to even do a cardio session after your weight training. That you should do cardio Day 1 and Weights Day 2 for the same reason. Intense weight training can hinder cardio development without enough time in between them.

I do one day of weight lifting a week and really conservatively.

Weightlifting is weird in that you can basically wipe yourself out and then do it again the next day, but your body will be overtrained and you'll likely damage it if you keep adding more and more weight in that state.

Ultimately, the amount of weights you can lift is dependent largely on your testosterone levels, so if you have a sports doctor I recommend you get them checked out so you have an idea where you stand.

This link has far too much information about testosterone, but if you search for "step 1" it gives sage advice about getting your testosterone checked: https://startingstrength.com/article/clinical-testosterone

The weird thing is there are guys out there 70 years old with the same testosterone as 30 year olds. So, lifting progressively heavy weights to gain more muscle is highly subjective, even though many weightlifting programs would have you believe you could do 5x5 of the core 3 lifts and be putting up 350 lbs on all of them within a year.

Lacking a testosterone test, a good measuring stick might be to lift some weights, then wait a week, and lift them again. Starting out, you won't get sore the second week. If you can, then feel free to add more weight /reps until one week you find you get too sore even after two weeks lifting the same amount. Then at that point you've found your max and you should probably stop adding resistance, and maybe lower it to the previous amount. This goes against advice all over the Internet, but it's really hard to know you're overtrained when you're overtrained so I think it's quite a bit safer.

A lot of mixed and jumbled advice in this thread. I think most people should be a little more humble as far as the reliability of S&C research is concerned, as well as their own ability to intepret the results. This includes many researchers themselves, who tends to get lost in the woods and not be able to see the forest for the trees.

You have to remember that the complexity of the human body doesn't easily lend itself to studies done in a vacuum with a few participants, which is why there's so much conflicting stuff out there. Consider author biases and it confounds.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't glean some useful stuff both from experience and the science, but you have to be aware of context.

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJnXB43HIhA

There's at 11:30 I think it starts; epsiode, when he holds legs and guy does push ups.
This is done with straight legs too: one's arms are used as a support, another does push ups.
Is used not only for combat sports training.

There also many variations of exercise might be done.

If you lift 3-4x a week, when are you supposed to do motor skill work?
No idea I am not even remotely close to an expert in this field. @Sano you want to chime in on this?
This is a good way of highlighting what I was talking about earlier.

You might read that snippet (it's not even the abstract of the study) and conclude that this means you can't lift weights and learn new motor skills. Just to get the first thing out of the way, even if that was what the study showed (it's not), it's one study taking a few young, possibly untrained, people and having them weight train and then throw darts within a period of 168 hours. That's a very specific task, in a very short time frame, under very specific circumstances. The difference between the control group and intervention group might also be marginal. More importantly there's some very important details to consider.

They primarily measured fatigue by DOMS. It makes complete sense, that if you take someone who might not be used to lifting, have them go heavy and through the grinder and be completely sore and stiff the next few days, then obviously their motor learning would be impaired. However if you increase your workload with consistency you wont experience the same fatigue and DOMS (if any), and you wont suffer the same subsequent reduction in coordination. The study also doesn't tell us anything about long term motor learning, only short term, and it's more performance than learning anyway because you cannot improve a skill in that short a timeframe.

Point being, you can lift and learn new skills perfectly fine, just be a little mindful of the intensity of your training when you introduce new stimuli. Don't overthink it.

Last edited:
This is a good way of highlighting what I was talking about earlier.

You might read that snippet (it's not even the abstract of the study) and conclude that this means you can't lift weights and learn new motor skills. Just to get the first thing out of the way, even if that was what it showed, it's one study taking a few young, possibly untrained, people and and having them weight train and then throw darts during a period of 168 hours. That's a very specific task, in a very short time frame, under very specific circumstances. The difference between the control group and intervention group might also be marginal. But, that's not something you can conclude from the study, and more importantly there's some very important details to consider.

They measured fatigue by DOMS primarily. It makes complete sense, that if you take someone who might not be used to lifting, have them go heavy and through the grinder be completely sore and stiff the next few days, obviously their motor learning would be impaired. However if you increase your workload with consistency you wont experience the same fatigue and DOMS (if any), and you wont suffer the same subsequent reduction in coordination. The study also doesn't tell us anything about long term motor learning, only short term, and it's more performance than learning anyway because you cannot improve a skill in that short a timeframe.

Point being, you can lift and learn new skills perfectly fine, just be a little mindful of the intensity of your training when you introduce new stimuli. Don't overthink it.
Thank you for setting the record straight. Have you ever heard the 1x20 program made by Dr. Michael Yessis and what your thoughts on it for training a combat athlete?

http://jackedathlete.com/10-takeaways-the-revolutionary-1-x-20-rm-strength-training-program/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.just-fly-sports.com/1x20-strength-expert-roundtable/amp/

Thank you for setting the record straight. Have you ever heard the 1x20 program made by Dr. Michael Yessis and what your thoughts on it for training a combat athlete?

http://jackedathlete.com/10-takeaways-the-revolutionary-1-x-20-rm-strength-training-program/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.just-fly-sports.com/1x20-strength-expert-roundtable/amp/
Yeah I know about it. Yessis has been instrumental in bringing in Verkhoshansky's work on the stretch shortening cycle and plyometrics from the old USSR. A lot of what many of the new "power gurus" do are plays on things that was already done better 50 years ago. Anyway, most of his stuff is pretty good but he tends to get lost in the weeds a little bit and as with many of the soviet inspired coaches it can get a bit dogmatic.

In regards to the 1x20 program I don't think it's necessarily better or worse than a lot of other stuff, depending on the goal. It's definitely not some magical thing (spoiler nothing is), but I'd say it's prob more suited for beginners, or during the GPP/building phase of your periodization. Or if you just want to try something new and change it up. I don't think it's better for combat athletes than a lot of other stuff no, it's just a rep scheme.

There's balance power/ agility too plays role and soviets...had different approach in different timeframes.
No one usually worships only one approach, more is intended to taylor programm for the guy.

Yeah I know about it. Yessis has been instrumental in bringing in Verkhoshansky's work on the stretch shortening cycle and plyometrics from the old USSR. A lot of what many of the new "power gurus" do are plays on things that was already done better 50 years ago. Anyway, most of his stuff is pretty good but he tends to get lost in the weeds a little bit and as with many of the soviet inspired coaches it can get a bit dogmatic.

In regards to the 1x20 program I don't think it's necessarily better or worse than a lot of other stuff, depending on the goal. It's definitely not some magical thing (spoiler nothing is), but I'd say it's prob more suited for beginners, or during the GPP/building phase of your periodization. Or if you just want to try something new and change it up. I don't think it's better for combat athletes than a lot of other stuff no, it's just a rep scheme.
What other programs might be useful for combat athletes.

What other programs might be useful for combat athletes.
A lot of different kinds of training can be useful, but if you're asking what's more likely to yield the best results that's a really broad question. In line with the OP, if I had to make a very rough caricature.

1. Different individuals/athletes respond differently to the same training. If you're strictly talking about let's say, power, then some people will benefit more from increasing their maximal strength, while others will benefit more from increasing their speed and velocity. It depends on the individuals so called force velocity profile (meaning are they good at being fast, or are they good at being strong, and what's the ratio between those two).

2. Strength training can be very good for combat sports if you're consistent and, in line with earlier, gradually increase your workload and keep fatigue at a minimum when possible. Obviously sometimes you might be doing blocks of training where you hit PRs or something simular, but just be thoughtful of when you do and how often. You don't want your S&C training to interfere with your skills training. Almost always, less is more.

3. Exercise selection is important. Compounds, core work, unilateral work, rotational work and plyometrics all have their place. Same is true for sport specific drills and exercises.

4. Periodization is key to any S&C training. GPP/Base building block -> Heavy block -> power/velocity block -> deload / Sports specificity is usually how it goes. There's only so much you can work on at one time.

Again, there's no one set way. If you're asking for what you can do for say striking, this would be a standard template.

GPP: Pick a few compounds, a single leg exercise, a few rotational and core warmups, and a few exercises for joint stability/health. Start slow and build up the weight for a 2-3 months.

Heavy: Start going heavier on the main lifts, with fewer reps and less volume for 1-2 months.

Power/velocity: Start doing less heavy stuff and focus on power for 2-3 weeks (lighter weights with explosive speed, jumps, medballs, hammers, specific bagwork power drills). Keep the reps and sets low, and weight 0-40% of 1RM. Then move into pure velocity/speed training without none-very little resistance for another 2-3 weeks.

Deload/sports specificity: Do some strength and mobility maintainence but taper off the lifting and stay loose. Focus on your sport more.

That block would give you a good idea of your strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:
Work out your legs, chest and biceps. Buy some adjustable dumbless, and keep working even at home.

Back