Went boxing sparring yesterday with a mate. Now he's in the hospital with a concussion :\

Young Calf Kick

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
So obviously I feel like trash, just wanted to write this out.

I'm 6"4/193cm and about 210 lbs/96kgs, he's 6"5/196cm and about 180 lbs/82 kgs. Now obviously I'm very well aware of the fact that it only takes one good punch to put someone out. I try to never go 100% as plenty of times I've knocked sparring partners down even when we agreed on a medium level of intensity.

This time that was a little different. He's a proud motherfucker and if I'm very honest pretty damn stupid aswell. He went 100% almost right from the start. I knocked him down with a clean right hook. He was sitting down for about 5 minutes and pushed me to continue even though I didn't feel like that was a good idea.

Our coach told us we could spar light so we continued, but of course the guy tried to throw the kitchen sink at me. I'm just a little better than him so after hitting him with another clean 3 punch combination which clearly rocked him I asked him "is this what you want cause I don't like this". Of course the fucking idiot kept continuing so I just dodged him the remaining 30 seconds. When the round was over I was completely done. He was still full of adrenaline and went on to hit the bag for half an hour, he just wouldn't get tired.

Anyway, coach and I started to get a little worried when he kept asking the same questions every 2 minutes. Finally convinced him to let me drive him to the hospital after stopping by his house and walking his dog. Motor skills were all good but his short term memory was completely gone. The doctor checked his motor skills and literally while we were still in the same room, 2 minutes later he had forgotten he was checked. Brain scan was all good and there appeared to be no further physical injury there, just a completely vanished short term memory. He had to stay for the night. It got a little better today but his memory still is far from what it should be.

Anyway thanks for reading if you made it this far. Couple questions for guys that train:

• How do you deal with sparring partners like this? Do you walk away or whatever do you do?
  • Is short term memory loss something that can take a while to recover?

Well that's unfortunate, hopefully your friend is not too bad and he recovers from his injury.

As for sparring, you shouldn't go all out in sparring. That's just how I approach it. 80% max. If someone insisting in going a 100%, I just stop and look for someone else to spar with.

Well that's unfortunate, hopefully your friend is not too bad and he recovers from his injury.

As for sparring, you shouldn't go all out in sparring. That's just how I approach it. 80% max. If someone insisting in going a 100%, I just stop and look for someone else to spar with.

I only seen the numbers in your post, so im gonna assume that by adding them together.. you want me to go 180% in sparring lol

had this happen once.

I'm 6' snd likely 185/190lbs at the time.

French dude finally decides to spar, he's 6'3 likely a little heavier than me, but always went too hard in class and injured people in training.

of course I'm the next biggest guy so I get to spar with him. as expected he rushes me. first thing I do was a teep to his chest which puts him on his back. I help him up, he shakes it off and we reset. he does it again and a jab into his chin has the same effect as my teep, since he was off balance and moving too fast towards me.

I help him up and I look at him and tell him to relax this time and have fun. we finish our round, which was very controlled and less intense.

he never came back to sparring lol

had this happen once.

French dude finally decides to spar, he's 6'3 likely a little heavier than me, but always went too hard in class and injured people in training.

of course I'm the next biggest guy so I get to spar with him. as expected he rushes me. first thing I do was a teep to his chest which puts him on his back. I help him up, he shakes it off and we reset. he does it again and a jab into his chin has the same effect as my teep, since he was off balance and moving too fast towards me.

I help him up and I look at him and tell him to relax this time and have fun. we finish our round, which was very controlled and less intense.

That was his own fault.
It's beautiful when idiots eat it.

I spar light all the time or not at all. I use it for movement and timing, if i wanted to be in a fight i’d go pick a fight. Im damn near 40 though so i havent been too bothered by trying to be a bad ass in nearly 15 years

That was his own fault.
It's beautiful when idiots eat it.
you could see the instant humbling in his eyes. I felt bad because I didn't mean to make him look that bad but he did have a bit of a reputation and the sparring crew were all concerned when he said he wanted to spar

you could see the instant humbling in his eyes. I felt bad because I didn't mean to make him look that bad but he did have a bit of a reputation and the sparring crew were all concerned when he said he wanted to spar

Exactly...a fuckin bully that got wtf was long overdue.
He knew he couldn't bully anybody at that gym anymore, and that's why he didn't come back.

Good riddance lol.

had this happen once.

yeah exactly. in every gym there's always one fucking guy that doesn't know boundaries (whether it be of others or himself). Ego sparring is fucking stupid

So obviously I feel like trash, just wanted to write this out.

I'm 6"4/193cm and about 210 lbs/96kgs, he's 6"5/196cm and about 180 lbs/82 kgs. Now obviously I'm very well aware of the fact that it only takes one good punch to put someone out. I try to never go 100% as plenty of times I've knocked sparring partners down even when we agreed on a medium level of intensity.

This time that was a little different. He's a proud motherfucker and if I'm very honest pretty damn stupid aswell. He went 100% almost right from the start. I knocked him down with a clean right hook. He was sitting down for about 5 minutes and pushed me to continue even though I didn't feel like that was a good idea.

Our coach told us we could spar light so we continued, but of course the guy tried to throw the kitchen sink at me. I'm just a little better than him so after hitting him with another clean 3 punch combination which clearly rocked him I asked him "is this what you want cause I don't like this". Of course the fucking idiot kept continuing so I just dodged him the remaining 30 seconds. When the round was over I was completely done. He was still full of adrenaline and went on to hit the bag for half an hour, he just wouldn't get tired.

Anyway, coach and I started to get a little worried when he kept asking the same questions every 2 minutes. Finally convinced him to let me drive him to the hospital after stopping by his house and walking his dog. Motor skills were all good but his short term memory was completely gone. The doctor checked his motor skills and literally while we were still in the same room, 2 minutes later he had forgotten he was checked. Brain scan was all good and there appeared to be no further physical injury there, just a completely vanished short term memory. He had to stay for the night. It got a little better today but his memory still is far from what it should be.

Anyway thanks for reading if you made it this far. Couple questions for guys that train:

• How do you deal with sparring partners like this? Do you walk away or whatever do you do?
  • Is short term memory loss something that can take a while to recover?
you dealt with him correctly. The golden rule is to hit your partner as hard as they’re trying to hit you. Moving forward I wouldn’t let the guy spar for 8 weeks and then I’d have a real serious talk with him about wether or not he is going to spar at all.

The memory loss thing will be fine in a week or so.

you dealt with him correctly. The golden rule is to hit your partner as hard as they’re trying to hit you. Moving forward I wouldn’t let the guy spar for 8 weeks and then I’d have a real serious talk with him about wether or not he is going to spar at all.

The memory loss thing will be fine in a week or so.
Thanks dude, solid advice. Much appreciated

Thanks dude, solid advice. Much appreciated
If you're worried about causing lasting damage, it's generally okay to rip em 100% to the body to keep them honest.
At my gym we would spar 70% but every so often sneak a 100% body shot in to keep them honest and stop them getting complaisant or too comfortable.

If you're worried about causing lasting damage, it's generally okay to rip em 100% to the body to keep them honest.
At my gym we would spar 70% but every so often sneak a 100% body shot in to keep them honest and stop them getting complaisant or too comfortable.
Hard to the body, medium hard to the head. This is the way.

Hard to the body, medium hard to the head. This is the way.
Yeah I have to say I got a little bit carried away also. Dude just kept trying to take my head off so at one point I was like fuck it if you wanna fight lets go. Ended real quick at that point. Next time I’ll just try to stay composed and focus on my defense while under pressure and work the body.

dude’s out of the hospital by the way, so that’s good.

Yeah I have to say I got a little bit carried away also. Dude just kept trying to take my head off so at one point I was like fuck it if you wanna fight lets go. Ended real quick at that point. Next time I’ll just try to stay composed and focus on my defense while under pressure and work the body.

dude’s out of the hospital by the way, so that’s good.
I once got beaten to the point of retardation in sparring by a heavyweight and he had the audacity to say "you right bro" as we drove home.
Some people don't understand their size and some people are so nervous they throw hard. Newbies are extremely prone to throwing full power because they're so high strung about the fact they're in a scenario they've never been exposed to. I had the joy of sparring a heavyweight who was also in his first sparring session and a former professional athlete.....
You've just gotta weigh what's going on. It's sparring feel free to stop and talk to them during it, I wouldn't advise doing that in a real fight.

Back