What’s up people, so I want my kids to be fighters

Streetfighter

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
They just started training Muay Thai and BJJ this week. Excited for them to pick up where I left off. Gonna throw some wrestling in too. 7 and 12 YO boys

Reactions: Gio
Keep training fun while they're young.

Whether or not THEY want to be fighters when they're older is not something you have control over.

But if you're overbearing or make the training suck and not be fun, that's a great way to influence them to NOT want to do it.

Fighters have a rough life I rather my kids be anything else to be honest. look at all the injuries michael bisping has suffered for example he has one eye and I think has a fake knee. Every fighter also has some form of CTE and has suffered several staph infections. Several fighters have had gruesome injuries like broken faces(sage northcutt), a crushed skull (cyborg santos), severally broken legs Silva and corey hill come to mind. 99 percent of fighters will also never make it to the UFC every UFC fighter was a champion of champions in the smaller orgs usually blackbelts at their academies.

99 percent of fighters will also never make it to the UFC every UFC fighter was a champion of champions in the smaller orgs usually blackbelts at their academies.
I definitely know UFC fighters for whom this is not the case.

I’m a professional coach and I wouldn’t want my kids to fight.

I’m a professional coach and I wouldn’t want my kids to fight.

I take my son to jiu jitsu and if he wants to compete in grappling or wrestling when older I'll support him.

But if he asks me when he's older I'd advise him against amateur or pro MMA.

Train for fun and fitness? Hell yeah, but I'd rather he stay in school than try to be a fighter.

They just started training Muay Thai and BJJ this week. Excited for them to pick up where I left off. Gonna throw some wrestling in too. 7 and 12 YO boys
BJJ and Muay Thai are not bad things for boys to be doing.
But please ask yourself whether you are trying to live out your unfulfilled dreams through your kids or you have their best interests at heart (and keep asking yourself that along the way).

I take my son to jiu jitsu and if he wants to compete in grappling or wrestling when older I'll support him.

But if he asks me when he's older I'd advise him against amateur or pro MMA.

Train for fun and fitness? Hell yeah, but I'd rather he stay in school than try to be a fighter.
I’ve got a couple teenagers boxing with me who are pretty good. It’s too early to tell but I won’t be surprised if we have a lot of success as amateurs and if the kid is still boxing in 3-4 years it will be as a professional. I talk to him all the time about work, education, learning a trade, and having a back up plan Incase being the unified cruiser weight champion of the world doesn’t work out

Keep training fun while they're young.

Whether or not THEY want to be fighters when they're older is not something you have control over.

But if you're overbearing or make the training suck and not be fun, that's a great way to influence them to NOT want to do it.
Honestly the best answer, don't become a Sage Northcutt

I'm sure TS comes from a good place but wanting your kids to become fighters is actually really fucked up if you know anything about fighting.

Now if THEY want to become fighters, it's different but at 7 and 12 years old and they've never trained before? I doubt it.

If you want to be a fighter train, don't make your kids do it for you.

Yes. Like above guy said. boxing is the best bet.

Zero value to live time max fighting ability learning to fight miserable fights as a kid. Wrestling team in school has the most use for college potentially, and TKD in tge off season because it is fun, easy, builds athletics, has an olympic track, and could make them hungry for more martial arts. Plus fancy kicking is a major key to a big paycheck in UFC

OP's username is 'Street Fighter', that's pretty concerning lol.

Just get your kids to do BJJ/wrestling and stick with that. Make sure your kids are healthy by the time they're old enough to decide what they do with their lives.

Most important thing for kids is to keep it fun.
Becoming a fighter ain't exactly tough, bud. I know plenty of knuckleheads who are "fighters".
They would have benefited from better life and career planning. Few can make a livable life entirely off fighting.

Let them make that choice for themselves when they are old enough. Nothing worse than parents trying to make their kids go in a direction they may not want to just so the parents can live vicariously through them and achieve things they couldn't.

Back