What are some 'healthy' cheat meals?

GearSolidMetal

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well I've been on a diet for two weeks, slipped up last night and ate some things I wasn't supposed to.

A burger & tots
Two burritos
An entire pumpkin pie (no crust)

And gained it all back. Derp.

So, my question is, if you cheat while on a diet and exercise routine what are some things to give you that satisfaction of eating pleasure food, but it will be out of your system within a few days rather than going to your gut and ass and staying there?

You got high as hell from that meal. Reconsider your relationship with food. Is it fuel or is it a source of entertainment?

If you insist on having cheat meals then you need to be accountable for the calories contained within those meals. In my opinion, cheat meals in general are kind of bad idea if you're trying to lose weight and get fit. It's like trying to quit smoking but saying, "You know, I haven't had a cigarette all week long. I think I'll smoke 2 packs Saturday night. That should keep me on track". If you continue to indulge in those temptations they'll soon become a normal part of your lifestyle again. Gotta develop healthier habits in general.

What gives me satisfaction comparable to eating bad food? Having normal bowel movements and feeling better overall. I can easily pound 2 liters of Dr. Pepper and a large pizza by myself, and while it tastes great, I know I'll be taking 4 trips to the restroom and painting the inside of my toilet a nice shade of hazel the next morning. You end up wasting time and energy you'll never get back.

You got high as hell from that meal. Reconsider your relationship with food. Is it fuel or is it a source of entertainment?

Fuel, mostly.

I'm pretty damn good at maintaining control over my cravings. I used to be 245 pounds, and have got as low as 183.

If you insist on having cheat meals then you need to be accountable for the calories contained within those meals. In my opinion, cheat meals in general are kind of bad idea if you're trying to lose weight and get fit. It's like trying to quit smoking but saying, "You know, I haven't had a cigarette all week long. I think I'll smoke 2 packs Saturday night. That should keep me on track". If you continue to indulge in those temptations they'll soon become a normal part of your lifestyle again. Gotta develop healthier habits in general.

What gives me satisfaction comparable to eating bad food? Having normal bowel movements and feeling better overall. I can easily pound 2 liters of Dr. Pepper and a large pizza by myself, and while it tastes great, I know I'll be taking 4 trips to the restroom and painting the inside of my toilet a nice shade of hazel the next morning. You end up wasting time and energy you'll never get back.

I get what you're coming from here, but what I am asking IF someone cheats what are the LEAST damaging food to eat that you can quickly recover from and go back on the diet?

I imagine pizza is probably the absolute worst because of all the bread.

Ice cream probably isn't a good choice.

Milk chocolate? Maybe?

Anything that's high in protein and low in carbs/sugar. 1) it's satiating. 2) you won't get a spike of rebound hunger since your insulin levels won't be wildly fluctuating like they would be if eating sugar/carb laden foods. 3) it's a crappy source of fuel and studies have shown eating excess calories in the form of protein doesn't lead to significant weight gain.

So something like beef jerky, plain pork rinds/chicharrones would likely be the safest bet. But I wouldn't even consider that a cheat meal, especially if you're making your own. I don't know what to tell you if you're insistent on indulging your sweet tooth. Those are the foods that will almost always get you in trouble if you have an unhealthy relationship with food.

Fuel, mostly.

I'm pretty damn good at maintaining control over my cravings. I used to be 245 pounds, and have got as low as 183.

I get what you're coming from here, but what I am asking IF someone cheats what are the LEAST damaging food to eat that you can quickly recover from and go back on the diet?

I imagine pizza is probably the absolute worst because of all the bread.

Ice cream probably isn't a good choice.

Milk chocolate? Maybe?
I agree with the GearSolid. I have struggled with my weight a lot down the years and have always liked food too much. Cheat meals just get your mind/tastebuds/body reacquainted with the bad food you crave. Better to stick with it as much as you can. Only once you have completed several months minimum of clean eating can you safely have the odd cheat meal IMO.

Stick with anything high protein as much as possible - but you probably wont find them particularly satisfying as its sugar that you most likely will be craving. On keto I keep some (really) dark chocolate and those fake but tasty 10calorie no sugar jellies. Ribs with some sweet bbq sauce, homemade fried chicken etc is ok.

Pork Tonkatsu
05-EB96-A3-DAA7-4-B5-D-B938-F44633-FC5016.jpg

Chicken Tonkatsu
DEAEE7-EE-1925-4-E1-D-901-D-42-BF33-CFDB0-E.jpg

Fish &Slaw
CCA6-B141-7-CA6-436-D-9-BAB-6843-F529-E300.jpg

Wagyu Beef Gouda Cheese Sliders
62-F8-E17-F-2933-4-D38-80-BA-B542-FD90-B05-F.jpg

Beer Battered Chicken Strips
DCA187-CA-807-E-4-B54-95-B9-608937-D5454-D.jpg

Not really cheat cheat meals... but not gonna set u back at all imo;

the only healthy cheat meals are the ones that are rarely consumed (unfortunately).

I like a tortilla filled with avacado, grilled fish or chicken and trader Joe's green dragon sauce. It's not so bad and I like the taste.

a shake made from Frozen fruit and coconut milk and a bit of honey is pretty tastey.

Well why cheat in the first place especially after only 2 weeks?

Street tacos, I don't even consider them a cheat meal because they're not that bad in the first place.

Steak-Street-Tacos-c-Kristen-Kilpatrick.jpg

Maybe get a type of meat that you like, like bbq, steak, porkchops, and mix it with rice and some kind of vegetable you can tolerate. Like some pico, salsa, onions, peppers, pickles or whatever.

Ribeye, filet mignon, pork loin.

Put down the Debbie cakes.

Only use a cheer meal when your weight loss stalls or maybe to use it for fuel when you start to feel strength losses through dieting.

Big caveat is portions. If you want to eat pizza, eat ONE slice not the whole X-large pizza.

Back