What Are You Currently Playing? v.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started AC: Valhalla its....ok. I guess I shouldn't be to surprised after the game play of the last 2, its just a weird time to be an assassin.

Still not playing anything, my laptop does not handle most of the video games, let alone MMORPGs. I'm watching videos of Crowfall and Valheim, both games seems promising.

Mafia Remake was....6.5/10. I loved Mafia 2 for the characters, atmosphere, story, soundtrack, radio and just the overall driving but my god was everything else mediocre or just plain bad. Mafia is basically a worse Mafia 2 [no surprise since its the remake of the first duuuuh]. The graphics are nice in parts but are just AA level of quality for the most part, the gameplay sucks, the overindulgent slow animations, the shitty Rockstar physics movement, empty open world, boring driving from point A to B for missions, and the game is just too padded.

I liked the characters and but the plot isnt interesting and has been basically done before. Loved how the first and second game tied together. Having played mafia 2 before 1, it added a lot to it. Id honestly just suggest watching the stories of these games in a video or something. Mafia 2 was a decent 7 at the time but its probably aged terribly [the story is still great].

Valheim sucks, dont play that shit [especially if you dislike survival games]. Dont be persuaded, thinking this is a new and more fun type of survival game, it isnt. Waste of money.

I dont know if Im getting jaded or if most AAA games suck now. I wish we could go back to the 8-12 hour games of pure quality content instead of these bloated empty open world games with no life and generic stripped down RPG mechanics.

I have Doom Eternal as the next one, which wont disappoint [I hope]. Thinking of Yakuza Zero or Kingdom Come afterwards, so hopefully I can play 3 games back to back, which are great.

Got really into the cod war zone. Just finished maxing out the battle pass in like 1 month.

started up hollow knight today. Just got the dash and really enjoying it so far.

Mafia Remake was....6.5/10. I loved Mafia 2 for the characters, atmosphere, story, soundtrack, radio and just the overall driving but my god was everything else mediocre or just plain bad. Mafia is basically a worse Mafia 2 [no surprise since its the remake of the first duuuuh]. The graphics are nice in parts but are just AA level of quality for the most part, the gameplay sucks, the overindulgent slow animations, the shitty Rockstar physics movement, empty open world, boring driving from point A to B for missions, and the game is just too padded.

I liked the characters and but the plot isnt interesting and has been basically done before. Loved how the first and second game tied together. Having played mafia 2 before 1, it added a lot to it. Id honestly just suggest watching the stories of these games in a video or something. Mafia 2 was a decent 7 at the time but its probably aged terribly [the story is still great].

Valheim sucks, dont play that shit [especially if you dislike survival games]. Dont be persuaded, thinking this is a new and more fun type of survival game, it isnt. Waste of money.

I dont know if Im getting jaded or if most AAA games suck now. I wish we could go back to the 8-12 hour games of pure quality content instead of these bloated empty open world games with no life and generic stripped down RPG mechanics.

I have Doom Eternal as the next one, which wont disappoint [I hope]. Thinking of Yakuza Zero or Kingdom Come afterwards, so hopefully I can play 3 games back to back, which are great.

Agree totally. I really thought the Mafia remaster suuuuuuuuucked. An open world with absolutely no reason to do anything within it, where it's just mission after mission with some of the most underdeveloped character arcs ever. You meet your future wife, then you're married, then she's drifting from you. It's in like the course of 5 missions!

Eternal is dope, and damn! Yakuza 0 or KCD is a toughie. Absolutely loved both. 0 got me into the series to the point where I've been playing them all back to back (just finished Kiwami 2 and started Like a Dragon before the remasters for 3,4,5 came out).

KCD is just some of the best rpg shit I've ever played. It completely sucked me in to the point where I went through everything I possibly could, including all of the dlc that was woven perfectly into the main game. There's even a dlc where you get to build up your own town (preferably after you've finished the main storyline) and it's enthralling.

I also scooped xcom 2 recently when it went on sale - definitely blew Empire of Sin out of the water. Now I'm dying to see how Wastelanders 3 stacks up in the genre

If the accuracy is giving you a hard time, put pcs perception mods on your fav troops -it can get as absurd as 100% shots through walls to the point where I'd actually appreciate more shot risk

And building exo suits in proving ground early helps every run

I could talk xcom 2 moves all day, you guys still play?

I've found the accuracy okay on everything but the hacking, which is just straight bullshit..Playing on a console too, which isn't ideal but all I can do right now.

Shit I didn't even realise Exo suits are in the game, and i've put quite a few hours in now.

I've really been enjoying it, with all the DLC there's soooo much more going on than the first XCOM.

Agree totally. I really thought the Mafia remaster suuuuuuuuucked. An open world with absolutely no reason to do anything within it, where it's just mission after mission with some of the most underdeveloped character arcs ever. You meet your future wife, then you're married, then she's drifting from you. It's in like the course of 5 missions!
Only reason I like these games is cause of the portrayal of the mafia archetypes. I just find them endearing, and I really like seeing the everyman becoming a psycho mafioso. But the games are mediocre or just straight up bad in terms of the gameplay.
Eternal is dope, and damn! Yakuza 0 or KCD is a toughie. Absolutely loved both. 0 got me into the series to the point where I've been playing them all back to back (just finished Kiwami 2 and started Like a Dragon before the remasters for 3,4,5 came out).

KCD is just some of the best rpg shit I've ever played. It completely sucked me in to the point where I went through everything I possibly could, including all of the dlc that was woven perfectly into the main game. There's even a dlc where you get to build up your own town (preferably after you've finished the main storyline) and it's enthralling.
Nice, I these next up. Ill hopefully start Doom Eternal today, so Im looking forward to that. Yakuza is probably next, and then Kingdom come.

Only reason I like these games is cause of the portrayal of the mafia archetypes. I just find them endearing, and I really like seeing the everyman becoming a psycho mafioso. But the games are mediocre or just straight up bad in terms of the gameplay.

Nice, I these next up. Ill hopefully start Doom Eternal today, so Im looking forward to that. Yakuza is probably next, and then Kingdom come.
Kingdom Come is awesome, keep us posted

Without spoiling anything there's a mission where you infiltrate a monastery and I was ready to renounce all my adventuring and just live in humble monk routines forever and the game straight up lets you

Doom Eternal is so much more difficult than Doom 2016, by like an absurd amount.

I think I got killed more times in 1 hour than I did all the times I died in Doom 2016. Not sure if I suck so much due to all the other FPS games Ive played since or if this piece of shit brain head with the turret gun is OP as fuck. Ill try again later, but fuck that enemy (shooting the turret seems to do nothing until it just turns red).

I also dont know if the art style or the colour palette has been changed but it kind of looks duller compared to Doom 2016. So far, it feels a lot slower than Doom 2016 too.

Doom Eternal is so much more difficult than Doom 2016, by like an absurd amount.

I think I got killed more times in 1 hour than I did all the times I died in Doom 2016. Not sure if I suck so much due to all the other FPS games Ive played since or if this piece of shit brain head with the turret gun is OP as fuck. Ill try again later, but fuck that enemy (shooting the turret seems to do nothing until it just turns red).

I also dont know if the art style or the colour palette has been changed but it kind of looks duller compared to Doom 2016. So far, it feels a lot slower than Doom 2016 too.
I think you need to go back and play Doom 2016 lol. It’s incredibly drab compared to Eternal and the Slayer moves like molasses. It’s a much, much faster game.

I think you need to go back and play Doom 2016 lol. It’s incredibly drab compared to Eternal and the Slayer moves like molasses. It’s a much, much faster game.
I actually did after seeing this, seems like '16 was darker in tone with a much more uniform palette with the greys, reds and oranges. I really liked it then but looks drab compared to Eternal. It also really slow wtf......how about that??

Man nostalgia is a bitch.

Im not enjoying the chainsaw for ammo thing theyve done in Eternal, but maybe ill like it more later. Its probably rust, but Eternal also feels much more difficult right off the bat.

I actually did after seeing this, seems like '16 was darker in tone with a much more uniform palette with the greys, reds and oranges. I really liked it then but looks drab compared to Eternal. It also really slow wtf......how about that??

Im not enjoying the chainsaw for ammo thing theyve done in Eternal, but maybe ill like it more later. Its probably rust, but Eternal also feels much more difficult right off the bat.
It’s definitely tougher. It forces you to learn and utilize the mechanics or you’ll sink very quickly. I personally enjoyed it a lot as it constantly keeps you in the fight. Kinda reminds me of rally in Bloodborne. It rewards aggression.

Eternal is much more difficult. My first night of playing it went a lot like John Romero’s and I got frustrated and didn’t touch it again for like two weeks.

Go to about the 17 minute mark:

But when I did go back to it I eventually got the hang and then I loved the game, but it’s got a very steep learning curve compared to like 98% of fps games which are just point and shoot. Doom Eternal is like the Sekiro of fps games.

Eternal is much more difficult. My first night of playing it went a lot like John Romero’s and I got frustrated and didn’t touch it again for like two weeks.

Go to about the 17 minute mark:

But when I did go back to it I eventually got the hang and then I loved the game, but it’s got a very steep learning curve compared to like 98% of fps games which are just point and shoot. Doom Eternal is like the Sekiro of fps games.

Yup, I know how to kill it, Ive done it a few times already but its real annoying when youre low on health and they toss that motherfucker in.

I recently played COD, so im still used to that basic generic, point and shoot [even though Cold War is a great game], its refreshing playing the old school, more arcadey FPS games, where the enemies are more like puzzles.

Yeah, I've always been starved for Mafia stuff. LOVED both the Godfather games back in the PS3/360 era, and got anything I could get in the genre when I got a pc. Too bad it was crap like Omerta City of Gangsters. Even Empire of Sin has been a letdown, but there's a sim one called City of Gangsters that looks cool, and in depth.

I did quite like Mafia 2, though, despite the crappy open world design. Liked 3 as well, despite the repetition in it's design.

So I’m kind of choked, I wanted to play some of my 360 backlog on my Series X but a couple of the games I was most looking forward to finally playing (after more than a decade, sad lol) aren’t backwards compatible. I had wanted to play Chronicles of Riddick, Escape from Butcher Bay - Dark Athena, but it’s not backwards compatible on the One or the Series X :(

I still have my 360, but it’s disc drive doesn’t seem to work reliably anymore. I wonder if I can find a PS3 copy somewhere.

Last edited:

Totally disagreed.

Mafia Remake was amazing. Mafia 2 remake was lazy and looks almost exactly the same as the original.

I never played the first Mafia game until the remaster and was really impressed at how good it was. It easily surpassed Mafia 2 for me. And I always thought Mafia 2 was a great game.

Mafia is not GTA. It's more linear and story driven. If you're looking for an open world with a lot of things to do than Mafia is not that game. But if you're looking for good story driven game set in the 30s, Mafia 1/2 are great games.

Wish there were more mafia type games. Especially based in the 30s. Love that genre.

Mafia 2 remake was lazy and looks almost exactly the same as the original.
Mafia 2 wasnt a remake but a remaster....thats why it looks the same as the original.

It easily surpassed Mafia 2 for me. And I always thought Mafia 2 was a great game.
Mafia 2 has a much better plot, characters and is generally better everywhere.
Mafia is not GTA. It's more linear and story driven. If you're looking for an open world with a lot of things to do than Mafia is not that game. But if you're looking for good story driven game set in the 30s, Mafia 1/2 are great games.
Its not GTA, and I never expected it to be. Both the games can be cut in half and you wouldnt miss anything in terms of the plot, you'd cut out the boring location to location driving, the inane wave by wave enemies, etc.

Mafia 1 is mediocre, and 2 is good only because of everything but the gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back