What Are You Currently Playing? v.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mafia 2 wasnt a remake but a remaster....thats why it looks the same as the original.

Mafia 2 has a much better plot, characters and is generally better everywhere.

Its not GTA, and I never expected it to be. Both the games can be cut in half and you wouldnt miss anything in terms of the plot, you'd cut out the boring location to location driving, the inane wave by wave enemies, etc.

Mafia 1 is mediocre, and 2 is good only because of everything but the gameplay.
It's pointless to argue about which one is better. It's all based on preference.

If Mafia 2 had a complete remake maybe I would have prefered that one. But based on Mafia and Mafia 2 definitive edition. I have to go with the first one.

The games definitely have their flaws but I think 6.5 is a bit harsh for such a great game.

It's pointless to argue about which one is better. It's all based on preference.

If Mafia 2 had a complete remake maybe I would have prefered that one. But based on Mafia and Mafia 2 definitive edition. I have to go with the first one.

The games definitely have their flaws but I think 6.5 is a bit harsh for such a great game.

Is a 6.5 really that harsh, though? They're okay games, but they are heavily flawed. They've always been a bit of a hodgepodge GTA, with decent storytelling, but nothing to write home about. The gameplay is barely noteworthy. It gets by on its Italian Mafia romanticism, and little else.

Is a 6.5 really that harsh, though? They're okay games, but they are heavily flawed. They've always been a bit of a hodgepodge GTA, with decent storytelling, but nothing to write home about. The gameplay is barely noteworthy. It gets by on its Italian Mafia romanticism, and little else.
It all comes down to personal opinion and taste. There's really nothing to compare the games with since there aren't many games set in that era. Personally, I loved both games and was immersed in the story so maybe the flaws didn't stick out to me as much.

Sure the games have their flaws but 6.5 when it comes to games is trash.

This isn't movie ratings. Anything below 7 in gaming standards is pretty much considered garbage.

It all comes down to personal opinion and taste.

Of course. That's all that really matters. If you love it, nobody can tell you different.

Sure the games have their flaws but 6.5 when it comes to games is trash.

This isn't movie ratings. Anything below 7 in gaming standards is pretty much considered garbage.

I don't think a 0.5 rating point really makes much of a difference. A 6.5 isn't a terrible score. It's basically saying the game is decent enough, but nothing special.

I think when it came out it was impressive as the GTA formula was still getting ironed out. As time went on though, other games just did it better. That's ultimately where "Mafia" fails IMO. It didn't age all that well, and feels a little archaic by today's standards.

Of course. That's all that really matters. If you love it, nobody can tell you different.

I don't think a 0.5 rating point really makes much of a difference. A 6.5 isn't a terrible score. It's basically saying the game is decent enough, but nothing special.

I think when it came out it was impressive as the GTA formula was still getting ironed out. As time went on though, other games just did it better. That's ultimately where "Mafia" fails IMO. It didn't age all that well, and feels a little archaic by today's standards.
6.5 when it comes to gaming is actually a terrible score. A game with that rating usually isn't even worth the time. And Mafia really doesn't fit that category.

You do make good points but it's not fair to make comparisons with GTA as this is not meant to be GTA.

I can't seem to get myself to commit to a game right now. I installed Nioh 2 and keep casually fucking around in other games instead of starting it. I've been checking out Valheim and Hellish Quart for the past couple days.

My girlfriend picked up Destroy all Humans and Tony Hawk 1+2 randomly for me along with a psn card. Forgot how fun and wacky Destroy all humans was, and the feeling of remembering those combos on THPS was awesome.

Thinking of waiting for Dead Rising 1 and/or 2 to go on sale on psn, im on a random wacky game kick and that would fulfill the need.

Even Empire of Sin has been a letdown
After playing xcom 2 and Empire of Sin back to back, there's some decent mechanics in Empire that added to the genre like hero abilities and executions to cause panic in enemy ranks

But the game did a terrible job balancing hero abilities between factions. Some leaders have guaranteed hits on their special while others like the Irishman get tired and whiff their second enemy. Why they would make an ultimate ability that lowers accuracy is bonkers

Also game breaking is the mechanic that lets enemy factions hire all the medic/doctor classes in the game before you unlock them for hire with street cred - enemy npcs don't even earn cred high enough to afford the bodyguards they hire, I've watched bosses without a penny to their name hire 30k mercenaries without blinking

Started AC: Valhalla its....ok. I guess I shouldn't be to surprised after the game play of the last 2, its just a weird time to be an assassin.
It gets a lot better. It just takes a long time to get into the meat of the story. I really liked Origins but didn't care for Odyssey at all.

6.5 when it comes to gaming is actually a terrible score. A game with that rating usually isn't even worth the time. And Mafia really doesn't fit that category.

You do make good points but it's not fair to make comparisons with GTA as this is not meant to be GTA.
It objectively isnt a bad score. Its basically 1 notch down of being a good game....

Review sites have skewed how you actually use a ten point system. LMAO at anything below 7 being bad.

Its a mediocre game with a positives in the character department. I think my score is fair.

Would I recommend it? Only to a certain type of person, someone who enjoys mafioso movies etc, but otherwise, no.

Giving it an 8 is just wacky. An 8 imo is a good or even great game. These games arent that good.

It objectively isnt a bad score. Its basically 1 notch down of being a good game....

Review sites have skewed how you actually use a ten point system. LMAO at anything below 7 being bad.

Its a mediocre game with a positives in the character department. I think my score is fair.

Would I recommend it? Only to a certain type of person, someone who enjoys mafioso movies etc, but otherwise, no.

Giving it an 8 is just wacky. An 8 imo is a good or even great game. These games arent that good.

Game scores are messed up, because people seem to think anything less than an 8 is dogshit. It’s ridiculous.

Game scores are messed up, because people seem to think anything less than an 8 is dogshit. It’s ridiculous.
I know right? Even EA Sports entries are rated like 7.5 by major reviewers; a game has to be truly putrid to be ranked below 7 it seems

I still play warzone. Atill havent paid for anything lol. New update coming soon so i am looking forward that. Closing in on 100 plunder wins and 50 br wins.

I still play warzone. Atill havent paid for anything lol. New update coming soon so i am looking forward that. Closing in on 100 plunder wins and 50 br wins.
We had an adult buddy who admitted he paid for Rogue Company packs and we all pointed our fingers and threw our heads back and exiled him to the Adirondacks

I started a dwarf campaign on Total war warhammer 2, and playing that for awhile made me want to dust off vermintide 2 as well. I’m currently closing in on reaching level cap so I can focus on end game and I am having a blast! It’s so satisfying just slaying thousands of skaven lol

I also picked up guilty gear rev 2 while it was on sale for 5$, so I can practice before the new game drops in April.

Oh ya, and I bought Valheim, but I haven’t played it enough to give an opinion on it yet.

Just installed House Of The Dead 1-3 installed on my computer so thags my weekend sorted! Just need to find a copy of 4

I just downloaded shadow warrior2 off gamepass. Surprisingly it wasn't too bad.

Finally took down El Sueño, and the ending was not as satisfying as I needed. As soon as the cutscene started I knew what was coming, which sucks. Overall it was a better experience than Breakpoint, really hated that storyline.

Reinstalled Kingdom Come: Deliverance because some people here were talking about it. I like how if a guy tries to fuck with me on the roads I can probably eventually kill him. Although, if a couple of guys yank me off my horse I’m pretty much fucked. It’s nice to have some danger and worry about forests. I really appreciate not being a master swordsman right from the beginning.

Finally took down El Sueño, and the ending was not as satisfying as I needed. As soon as the cutscene started I knew what was coming, which sucks. Overall it was a better experience than Breakpoint, really hated that storyline.

Reinstalled Kingdom Come: Deliverance because some people here were talking about it. I like how if a guy tries to fuck with me on the roads I can probably eventually kill him. Although, if a couple of guys yank me off my horse I’m pretty much fucked. It’s nice to have some danger and worry about forests. I really appreciate not being a master swordsman right from the beginning.

Yeah, I didn't get too deep into KC: D, but I did come to appreciate the "realism" after a bit. Three guys pulling you off your horse, should not fill you with confidence that you'll be okay and obliterate them all like in most games. The chances are 99% death, 1% William Wallace miraculous fight off. It could get frustrating at times, but not in a way that I felt was cheap. Just natural. That is what would happen in that scenario. It really gave some weight to almost any conflict you would find yourself in.

No other game that I've played has nailed that feeling as well as KC: D did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back