What are you currently playing v4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started up Death’s Door. Played for only an hour and fell in love with it. Absolutely beautiful art direction, interesting mechanics, solid combat, excellent level design. Legitimately can’t wait to explore everything I can.

I wanted to get this one but really not sure.

Hades is probably in my top 20 best games ever, but Curse of the Dead Gods - which was also pretty popular among the rogue-like fans - was kinda trash imo.

I still don't know if I like these games or not...

Hades is probably in my top 20 best games ever, but Curse of the Dead Gods - which was also pretty popular among the rogue-like fans - was kinda trash imo.

As a fan of rogue-likes i didn't find Curse of the Dead Gods appealing so i understand, though i would recommend Undermine to anyone interested.

Got a taste for some MGSV, so I grabbed the definitive edition on sale. I played it on PS3 way back, so I figured that at the least, I'll get the true experience(although the PS3 version was very well optimized and looked and played just fine). I've got complaints about it's structure, but I'm gonna try my best just to have fun with it, and not focus so much on getting those S ratings for playing conservatively(which I think is half of it's problem). I'm going pure Rambo styles this time. Damn the ratings. I'm gonna be a pure fucking savage and experiment with every weapon and device I get my hands on, and kill everything that moves.

I skipped "Ground Zeroes" and just hopped right into TPP. It looks a little better, but not by much TBH. Draw distances are noticeably deeper, and there are some minor details that pop a little bit more. Load times are faster, and there's no choppy transition when you bring up the codex. That's all I've really noticed so far though. Frame rates are obviously a little more steady, but nothing I would consider game changing or anything.

As for the game itself...that prologue is pure torture. Worse than I remember. It's such a slog, and the cinematics really get in the way. You can barely tell when you're actually in control, and the whole thing is the slowest tutorial section I've played, where you do nothing but crawl around and wait for Kiefer Sutherland to break the fourth wall and tell you to press buttons to do things. Just awful stuff, that in no way prepares you for what you will be doing when the game opens up. I could not wait to hit the end of that shit. Once I did, the memories started flowing back on how tedious the game can be. Scout, mark, infiltrate, eliminate guards, get key item, move on. Yeesh. Come on Mother Base. Let's get this shit going proper. I want to turn this into the wacky wonderland of death it can be.
I agree with the intro after your first playthrough, but tbh this kidn of intro is normal in AAA games nowadays. Look at RDR2, 2 hours of pure pain before you can play the game.

Ground zeroes snake felt heavier and better to me, I also think its necessary, that mission is better than any mission in the main game and I easily put over 15 hours just experimenting in that game. MGSV needed more of that type of mission imo.

It’s honestly nothing like Hades other than it being isometric. More of a call back to classic Zelda titles with some tighter combat mechanics.

There’s no penalty for death other than having to redo some encounters. All about exploring with some light puzzle solving.

Got a taste for some MGSV, so I grabbed the definitive edition on sale. I played it on PS3 way back, so I figured that at the least, I'll get the true experience(although the PS3 version was very well optimized and looked and played just fine). I've got complaints about it's structure, but I'm gonna try my best just to have fun with it, and not focus so much on getting those S ratings for playing conservatively(which I think is half of it's problem). I'm going pure Rambo styles this time. Damn the ratings. I'm gonna be a pure fucking savage and experiment with every weapon and device I get my hands on, and kill everything that moves.

I skipped "Ground Zeroes" and just hopped right into TPP. It looks a little better, but not by much TBH. Draw distances are noticeably deeper, and there are some minor details that pop a little bit more. Load times are faster, and there's no choppy transition when you bring up the codex. That's all I've really noticed so far though. Frame rates are obviously a little more steady, but nothing I would consider game changing or anything.

As for the game itself...that prologue is pure torture. Worse than I remember. It's such a slog, and the cinematics really get in the way. You can barely tell when you're actually in control, and the whole thing is the slowest tutorial section I've played, where you do nothing but crawl around and wait for Kiefer Sutherland to break the fourth wall and tell you to press buttons to do things. Just awful stuff, that in no way prepares you for what you will be doing when the game opens up. I could not wait to hit the end of that shit. Once I did, the memories started flowing back on how tedious the game can be. Scout, mark, infiltrate, eliminate guards, get key item, move on. Yeesh. Come on Mother Base. Let's get this shit going proper. I want to turn this into the wacky wonderland of death it can be.
Now there is one game I did not understand at all. The more I played the more I felt like I had been had and all the praise was a huge joke that everyone in the video game world was in on except me.

Now there is one game I did not understand at all. The more I played the more I felt like I had been had and all the praise was a huge joke that everyone in the video game world was in on except me.

Yeah, it's definitely a weird one with some extreme highs and extreme lows. I certainly didn't understand the 10/10 scores when I first played it. Gameplay is king, but shit, it's still got some glaring issues that aren't just relegated to the incomplete story. Just right off the bat, I would drop a point or two for it literally recycling the same areas over and over again, with no rhyme or reason behind it, other than the map being relatively small and empty. The entire structure of the world and it's inhabitants makes zero sense. Which is odd, because there is so much attention to detail packed into it. It's so dense and rich in some aspects of the game, and then just completely and inexplicably lazy in others.

Yeah, it's definitely a weird one with some extreme highs and extreme lows. I certainly didn't understand the 10/10 scores when I first played it. Gameplay is king, but shit, it's still got some glaring issues that aren't just relegated to the incomplete story. Just right off the bat, I would drop a point or two for it literally recycling the same areas over and over again, with no rhyme or reason behind it, other than the map being relatively small and empty. The entire structure of the world and it's inhabitants makes zero sense. Which is odd, because there is so much attention to detail packed into it. It's so dense and rich in some aspects of the game, and then just completely and inexplicably lazy in others.

Yep I dropped it once it started reusing areas. The gameplay was fantastic but everything else just felt incomplete.

I certainly didn't understand the 10/10 scores when I first played it.
Reviewers were kept in a camp for 50 hours so for many it was basically a first impression review, and many didnt see the second half where they recycled the same missions. Its still a 9 or 9.5 to me. Gameplay is king, and most of all, the game was fun. MP was amazing to boot imo.
The gameplay was fantastic but everything else just felt incomplete.
Kojima really tried to innovate with the cutscenes and direction, Im sure many of the new games like God of War and TLOU II were inspired by the cinematography and 1 shot cutscenes

Ive been finding it tough to enjoy games for the past 2 or so years, but man when I find a gem, I love to gush about it. Hollow Knight has been on my radar for so long, and I wasnt expecting much but its so addictive. Spent an hour and a half just exploring, trying to map things out, and enjoying the aesthetics of the game. I would love a more clean, and sharper look to the art but its stunning, and has masterful aesthetic.

Finding exploits for enemies etc are fun and I love the mechanics. Its also very easy to get lost and forget past areas, a more distinctive palette between areas wouldve been nice, but Im loving it so far. I think this might be a game that brings the spark back.

Ive been finding it tough to enjoy games for the past 2 or so years, but man when I find a gem, I love to gush about it. Hollow Knight has been on my radar for so long, and I wasnt expecting much but its so addictive. Spent an hour and a half just exploring, trying to map things out, and enjoying the aesthetics of the game. I would love a more clean, and sharper look to the art but its stunning, and has masterful aesthetic.

Finding exploits for enemies etc are fun and I love the mechanics. Its also very easy to get lost and forget past areas, a more distinctive palette between areas wouldve been nice, but Im loving it so far. I think this might be a game that brings the spark back.
One I’ve never finished but I loved it while I played it. Now that the Voidheart edition was on PS+, I’d really like to jump back in.

One I’ve never finished but I loved it while I played it. Now that the Voidheart edition was on PS+, I’d really like to jump back in.
Its a tough one, but Ill finish it. It just scratches that FromSoftware itch but its done so well. Its like the only Soulslike game Ive enjoyed so far. I hope I enjoy it from start to finish.

Cyberpunk 2077 >>>>>>> Hollow Knight

You don't have to but if you come across something that you can't do anything with currently, you can open your map and put a pin in that spot so you know for later where to return to.

May the Grubfather watch over you.

Microsoft Flight Simulator on the series S. Flew over my house and could see my old red car in my driveway. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Soulslike?
Any game with a little difficulty is a soulslike now lol.

If the milk is a little warm, its soulslike.
Cyberpunk 2077 >>>>>>> Hollow Knight
From what little Ive played in HK >>>> Cyberpunk. That game still sucks.
You don't have to but if you come across something that you can't do anything with currently, you can open your map and put a pin in that spot so you know for later where to return to.

May the Grubfather watch over you.
Yup Ive been just buying shit from the shop to improve the map to aid exploration.

Microsoft Flight Simulator on the series S. Flew over my house and could see my old red car in my driveway. Unbelievable.

I’ve been messing around with it on my Series X. My favourite thing so far is to fly over cities I’m familia with. Presently I’m in Calgary visiting my folks and I brought my Xbox with me so I could show my Dad as he and I used to play Flight Simulator together on Windows 95 back in the day. I do have a couple of complaints though:

1. There’s too much greenery that’s not really there. Flying over the suburbs of Calgary practically looks like a forest as every single tree has been exaggerated in size compared to the actual houses.

2. it’s maps are out of date apparently. When I was showing my dad downtown Calgary he loved how great it looked but pointed out that it was actually missing a couple of buildings, including Calgary’s tallest building which was just built a couple of years ago.

3. It looks terrible at night compared to the day. Obviously they don’t have accurate information about what any of these buildings look like at night, but it was kind of disappointing to fly over the Las Vegas strip at night only to see all the buildings illuminated very generically taking away from their individual character compared to how they look in real life.

Yea I put off HK for a long time as well because I wasn't sure I would like something like that. With GP I tried it and loved it. Didn't find it as difficult as people claimed but it didn't matter the exploration and levels in general were just really fun. Still waiting for #2 to get a release date.

Any game with a little difficulty is a soulslike now lol.

If the milk is a little warm, its soulslike.
The death penalty as well. I’d definitely categorize it as Soulslike.

I’ve been messing around with it on my Series X. My favourite thing so far is to fly over cities I’m familia with. Presently I’m in Calgary visiting my folks and I brought my Xbox with me so I could show my Dad as he and I used to play Flight Simulator together on Windows 95 back in the day. I do have a couple of complaints though:

1. There’s too much greenery that’s not really there. Flying over the suburbs of Calgary practically looks like a forest as every single tree has been exaggerated in size compared to the actual houses.

2. it’s maps are out of date apparently. When I was showing my dad downtown Calgary he loved how great it looked but pointed out that it was actually missing a couple of buildings, including Calgary’s tallest building which was just built a couple of years ago.

3. It looks terrible at night compared to the day. Obviously they don’t have accurate information about what any of these buildings look like at night, but it was kind of disappointing to fly over the Las Vegas strip at night only to see all the buildings illuminated very generically taking away from their individual character compared to how they look in real life.
Thought about checking this out on PC. What’s the appeal though? Just cruising around, ogling the scenery?

I can understand it being incredible for a full flight setup but for an average gamer is there more to it than that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back